RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008

Fulcrum racing 1 vs. Dt Swiss 240s+RR1.1 +aerolites

So I was about to purchase a Fulcrum Racing 1 wheelset today when I came across Excel Sports Swiss Aero Threat wheelset for roughly the same price. Anyone want to chime in with their experiences with either wheelset? Or opinions on which is better? Will be mounted on Wilier Izoard.
    Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    No experience on the DT, but I've become a huge fan of the Fulcrum Racing 1s. Prior to the Racing 1s I had been using Mavic (kysriums and cosmic carbones), but the Fulcrums IMO seem to be the better buy for a few reasons. First, Fulcrum being a subsidiary of Campagnolo uses Campy wheel hubs, so the "roll" on the wheels is just so smooth. If you hold up your bike and give the front Racing 1 a nice spin with your hand, it seems to take 3 or 4 minutes for the wheel to come to a complete stop. Second, the Racing 1s are incredibly stiff, stiffer than the Mavic Kysriums. While not as forgiving as the Mavics, I use the Racing 1s for training and racing. There is one technical crit course I raced yesterday that I felt like I was riding on rails; no flex. Last, they seem to be as bomb-proof as the Mavics, no issues thus far after 1.5 years with my Racing 1s.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You can't go wrong with handbuilt DT Swiss. Pretty standard wheelset with years of life and ease of maintenance.

I too like that Fulcrum is derived from Campy .... but I'd favor simplicity over high-end wheels.

Either way ... I'm sure you can't go wrong.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have not tried the Fulcrums but do have a set of Chris King/DT Aerolite/DT RR1.1 wheels built by Mike Curiak at lacemine29.com. I have another set of White Ind/CX-Ray/Nio 27 wheels too. I've only had a few rides on the Curiak King/DT wheels but I absolutely love them. Fabulous wheels all around. A tad heavier than my other wheels but they are stiffer and feel better all around. They are more confidence-inspiring on fast descents and seem to really put the power to the ground where my other wheels are a bit less efficient.

Anyway, I don't see how you could go wrong with the DT-based wheels. I have some DT 240 hubs on my mountain bike and they have been trouble free over many miles.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    depends what u want from them

if u want race/train/ do everything wheels - go the handbuilts - extra reliability with the many spokes - freely avail - can fix rim/spokes easily etc

OTOH, if you want balls out race wheels go the fulcrums.... especially if you are heavy (180lbs+) and back that up with a bit of power. The 240s rear hub is not that wide - the mon chasseral tests on the low side in lateral stiffness - also aero is not great at all, and cx-rays will not help that.

fulcrum 1s/ campy eurus - test OTOH as quite stiff, and aero in class. Top quality as mentioned. IF you can afford to snap a spoke and shelf the wheelset until repair (or if you can afford them period), then do it. Real weight of eurus is 1590g as tested, maybe the new ones with 2 way fit are done with a new extrusion and are therefore within claimed weight??

My 2 anyways.

chamois creme addict
    I have used Fulcrum Racing 1 and a custom set of DT 240s/RR1.1/Revolution wheels on the same bike with the same tires (Conti GP4000) on the same roads on back-to-back days. I was riding the DT wheels for about a month, then put the Fulcrums back on my bike and I was shocked at how different the bike felt so I hado to do some testing. The major difference between the two wheelsets is in the transmission of road shock. The stiff deep section rims and stiff aluminium spokes of the Fulcrum transmit much more road shock compared to the box-section DT rims with springy (and shock absorbent) Revolution spokes. I also have Campy Eurus and they ride about the same as the Fulcrum, same with Ksyrium SSC-SL. I have been riding wheels like the Eurus/Racing 1/Ksyrium for so long now that I have forgotten how much more compliant the ride is on a lower section rim with steel spokes.

Both wheelsets are good, but if I could have only one set I would choose the DT. They are lighter by over 100 grams and easier to do any touch-up truing or repair. The Fulcrums are very strong wheels, but if you break a spoke or damage a rim they are very expensive to repair. Check out pricing on individual spokes and rims, they are not cheap. The aero advantage of the Fulcrum is marginal, if one wants a truly aero wheel it is better to go up to a Zipp 404 or Reynolds DV.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Five minutes ago I hit the "buy" button and went for the Fulcrum 1 wheelset. It was a tough decision but I had two many people speak highly of them not to give them a try. Fulcrums also seem to look good on Wilier's