RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010

Fulcrum Racing 3, AC Aero 420, Williams 30x, or custom build at BWW...Help!

To save my family from any more hours spent reading every review known to man regarding every wheel ever created and actually making a decision...I need some real world experience to help steer me in the right direction.

I am 215lbs (and losing, 35 lbs so far) and have tried to stay true to reported rider weights...I am down to the Fulcrum Racing 3, or AC 420 Aero, or the slightly cheaper Williams 30x, which from what I am reading may be more durable and stiff...Or there is always the custom builds at Bicycle Wheel Warehouse...

I am primarily a group rider, no racing in my immediate future...~150 - 200 miles per week...I ride an Immortal Spirit with a full Dura-Ace 7900 groupset...I know, I know, how dare I buy a bike online and pay for a top groupset, and get the rest of the bike at the same price...Under $2,000...But the Vuelta Team Super Lights are definitely the place for an upgrade. Looking to stay in the $400-$600ish range...Weight is not critical, as I know my weight is a lot more important than 100 g here or there...

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, by all...!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    I would go with BWW Pure Aero paired with Dura Ace hubs. Can't go wrong, the hubs will roll like butter, miles better than the Fulcrum and the AC's. The wheels should hold up for years with the high spoke count. It will transform your ride.
    Anything is possible when your man smells like Old Spice and not a lady!

Look 566
    SRAM Rival compact with 12-27
    Dura Ace 7850 SL Tubeless
    Hutchinson Fusion 3
    Cobb V-Flow Plus Saddle

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks for the feedback Weav...Just recently started researching the build as an option...Is there a significant difference in the Spoke type: DT Champion/Comp/Revolution...or even the Sapim CX-Ray...?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    I know CX-Ray is considered top of the line, don't know enough about the others to give you an informed answer. Maybe Mike T. or one of the other wheelbuilders can chime in on that. Might be a good question to ask BWW as well.
    Anything is possible when your man smells like Old Spice and not a lady!

Look 566
    SRAM Rival compact with 12-27
    Dura Ace 7850 SL Tubeless
    Hutchinson Fusion 3
    Cobb V-Flow Plus Saddle

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by JJNittany
    Thanks for the feedback Weav...Just recently started researching the build as an option...Is there a significant difference in the Spoke type: DT Champion/Comp/Revolution...or even the Sapim CX-Ray...?
    I'll give you my opinion on those spokes.

DT Champ - budget priced but quality, straight gauge (2.0mm) spokes. They build a stiff wheel. Choose them if you need to save approx $0.25 per spoke over a better choice of spoke, namely -
    DT Comp - the benchmark spoke. Double butted and they come in two gauges - 2.0/1.8/2.0mm and 1.8/1.6/1.8mm. Lighter than Champ and they build a more shock absorbing wheel. Cost, approx $1 per spoke.
    DT Rev - Also double butted but of a thinner center section - 2.0/1.5/2.0mm. Lighter than Comp. More difficult to build with as they twist easily.
    Sapim CX-Ray - forged from Sapim Lazer spokes (same gauge as DT Rev) into a flattened (actually oval) center section of 0.9x2.3mm with 2.0mm ends. More aerodynamic than the others but you won't notice a difference in your speed. Cost, approx $2.50 - $3.50 per spoke. Far less cost and easier to source than most of the "proprietary" spokes in pre-built wheels (like Kysyrium).
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.