RoadBikeReview Member

Fulcrum Racing 4 vs Ultegra 6700 wheels? (vs RS-80)

Thoughts on one vs the other? Looking at a used bike with choice of either wheelset - same price.

I also have a set of RS-80's on my current bike.

So the question is two-fold - which wheelset to get with the bike between the Ultegra and the Fulcrum 4? (Price is the same.) Then, between whichever wheelset I take on the bike and my RS-80's which should I put on the new bike?

Thanks in advance.

Ray
    "It ain't a teacup that the Queen gave you - it's a bike. Ride it!"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    I'm a fan of RS80's as a good value wheel, I have two sets in 23 & 50mm depths. Don't know about Fulcrum 4's but my bike came with 7's and they were absolute rubbish out of the box.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Fulcrum 4s are fairly heavy especially the rear and especially compared to the RS80s. If they're working on your current bike (I've heard they can be less optimal for heavier riders like me), I'd stick with them over the Fulcrums.
    A road bike needs disk brakes like a fish needs a bicycle (with apologies to Ms. Dunn)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    you can run tubeless wit the Ultegra's if you so desire. I'd go with the Ultegra's.
    Anything is possible when your man smells like Old Spice and not a lady!

Look 566
    SRAM Rival compact with 12-27
    Dura Ace 7850 SL Tubeless
    Hutchinson Fusion 3
    Cobb V-Flow Plus Saddle

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    Anyone have any experience with the Fulcrum 4's? I am in a similar situation where a 2011 replacement bike (long story) came with the Fulcrum 4s, but I still have my 2010 Ultegra wheelset and really liked them (I'm 180). Any new thoughts? Anyone ride the Fulcrum 4s?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    The Fulcrum 4's came with my Tarmac SL3 Expert, which I bought in July and have put a little over 2k miles on so far....and they are still straight as an arrow w/zero play in the hubs. I commute to work everyday (in NYC) in addition to doing rides in NJ and upstate NY. Been good to me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have put about 4000 miles over the past year on the Fulcrum 4s that came on my Roubaix Expert. Not one problem and never a need to touch them with a spoke wrench. I'm 170 lbs. and ride on a fair amount of rough roads. I can't compare them to the other wheels mentioned, but I am happy with the Fulcrums.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    This Tarmac is my 1st roadbike and therefore, the Fulcrums are my 1st (road) wheelset. So can't compare them to any other wheels, but like I said, no complaints! I forgot to mention though, that I weigh in around 200 lbs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011

Great- thanks

Thanks Gents- those three responses are enough to satisfy. The Ultegra wheels are super nice and strong- no flex and no maintenance, but if the Fulcrum's are just as good, as it sounds like they are, I will let go of the Ultegras as they do have about 1000 miles on them and, petty as it sounds, don't match the new bike as nicely .

downhill quickly
    May 2007
    With clinchers and good tube and tires I've rode the Ults, Zipp 101's and too many others to mention. I now ride summer tubeless with DA 7900 TL's and just happen to be riding the Ful 4's for winter training her in Denver area. They are a fine, rugged wheel that spin quick and true under load. And these comments regarding weight...good lord...I'm riding deer creek canyon, lookout mountain and around boulder with a couple of continental pros, trust me, the weight of these wheels don't slow you down. A good price performer the 4's and work well for thier turn this winter season (which has been fantastic so far ;)