RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009

Full Custom Build vs Manufacturer "Custom" Build

I'm planning to upgrade my stock wheelset. I'm 240-250 lbs (dropping weight slowly) but am generally not too hard on my bike.

I've spoken with a rep from Rol who claimed that their "custom" Race SL built on DT 240s hubs w/ a 24/28 spoke configuration would be strong enough for a rider my size.

However, I'm leaning towards a true custom build on DT 240s, DT 1.2 rims, 2.0/1.8 spokes in either a 28/32 or 32/32 spoke config.

Anyone near my size have experience on the "custom" Rols or a similar true custom build?

Online Wheel Builder
    I say go for a full custom build but go with different hubs. The Rol hubs are cheap Chinese copy cats. That being said I am going to go as far as to say that even the bearings in the 240s will not last very long under your weight. The kind of hubs that I think you should look into would be something like the White Industries MI5. The have huge bearings that are extremely durable that allow for the passage of large axels that will build very stiff wheels. Big guys like yourself will wear through smaller bearings exponentially quicker than others 60-70 lbs lighter.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    The MI5 front has bigger bearings than the H3 and a bigger (and steel) axle, but the rear hubs have the same bearings... and they are the same as the MI5 front also. So with an MI5 front and an H3 or MI5 rear, the rear would be the weaker link (because of greater loads), but should be strong enough.

BTW, the DT 1.2 rims and Comps you mentioned would make a very strong setup, if that is what you are after. If you "aren't too hard" on equipment, you'd be ok on a lighter set, but there is no good reason to do that either if you aren't racing or otherwise trying to push the envelope.
    Last edited by rruff; 10-27-2009 at 09:46 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Any other hub suggestions? What about Chris King?

Is there any actual benefit to going 28 vs 32 on the front wheel?

Thanks

Online Wheel Builder
    Meh, they are overpriced.
    going to a 32 will add rigidity to the front wheel as well as longevity.

eRacer
    At 250 you need a solid, well built wheel. Since you are not racing,
    I would not go less than 32, and would even suggest 36 3X and 14Ga Spokes with Brass Nipples.
    John Lapoint / San Diego
    God is Great, Beer is Good, and People are Crazy!

Just Plain Bitter
    I am running a set of 240s with r1.1 wheels and competition spokes. I am weigh in somewhere between 200 and 220 depending on the time of year. I also run HED Ardennes Stallion build. I have been running the DT's for almost 2 years and the Ardennes for a year. Neither set of wheels has needed to be trued or adjusted aside form normal cleaning. The DT's are used as my commuting wheels and have well over 4k miles on them. The Ardennes are on my group rode bike and get between 40 and 60 miles a week on them. I also just did the MS 150 Bay to Bay on them a few weeks ago. The DT Swiss is 32h 3x in the rear and 28h 2x n the front. The Ardennes are 28h 2x Drive side and 28h radial front. Both sets of wheels have been excellent for me. Before these I had run Mavic and was less than pleased with the commonality of broken spokes and creaking front wheels under my weight. I have has neither of these problems with these wheel sets. The DT's were custom built and the HED'd are out of the box stallion built wheels. These are only 2 makers of wheels and there are many more. If your LBS will let you test a set than do it. My LBS let me try the HED Ardennes for 2 weeks before I bought them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Catzilla;
    Like, if "troubling" were a level seven worry, "concerning" would be a six, with "frightening" being an eight and "unexplained genital rash" being a nine.

2007 Pegoretti Duende Campy SR 11 Campagnolo Neutron
    2009 Look 586 Campy SR 11 HED Ardennes/HED Jet 6
    2012 Raliegh Roper - Stock for now

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmlapoint
    At 250 you need a solid, well built wheel. Since you are not racing,
    I would not go less than 32, and would even suggest 36 3X and 14Ga Spokes with Brass Nipples.

As a fellow Clydesdale, this sounds like the best answer I've heard yet. Many will gripe over hubs but even a formula hub will do a great job. Personally, I'd use Ultegra hubs as they offer a good balance of performance, durability and cost. A nice set of Velocity Deep Vs or Mavic Open Pros properly tensioned will serve you well for years and won't cost you an arm and a leg. You can opt for a set of Mavic CXPs or DT Swiss 1.1s or 1.2s but the DTs can get pretty expensive.

Banned forever.....or not
    I would recomend 36 3X front and back, with 25mm tires (if your bike will take them)
    I would also have them built with washers and 14/15 spokes. When you lose another 30 pounds, you can use these for your everyday training wheels.

PS. Stick with Shimano or Campy hubs.

PSS The washers will help the spokes last longer and the 14/15 spokes will help the rims last longer.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004
    what about alchemcy orc? You can test durability for us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    How about a front wheel with a DT Swiss RR465(RR1.1 double eyelet), and a rear wheel with a RR585 (RR1.2). Both wheels 32 spokes cross-3 with Sapim Race or DT Competition spokes will make a strong wheelset. I also agree that Ultegra hubs would be a good choice for this set, but other hubs can be considered. I would be happy to build it for you if you would like.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dharrison

However, I'm leaning towards a true custom build on DT 240s, DT 1.2 rims, 2.0/1.8 spokes in either a 28/32 or 32/32 spoke config.

Anyone near my size have experience on the "custom" Rols or a similar true custom build?
    I considered the ROLS and ended up with the exact wheel you are considering DT 1.2/240/32\32... LOVE THEM I hover around 260. Bought them from Bicycle Wheel Warehouse. I could not be happier. Although they are not the lightest, when I drop my weight, these things stay with me.

I didn't go with the ROLs because I was concerned about having their proprietary hub. Love my DTs,

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    I think I've narrowed my choice down to the following build

Front: DT 1.1, WI H2/H3, CX-Ray
    Rear: DT 1.2, WI MI5, CX Ray

Both 32 spoke 3x laced

Anyone see any obvious issues (recall that I'm around 250 lbs)?

The Trollinator
    Apr 2008

Both 32 spoke 3x laced

Why do you want to use CX rays, out of curiosity? What's wrong with good old Open Pro and DT Swiss spokes? You'll also save megabuck$.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    I agree. As far as price/performance. You will save quite a bit of money by using round spokes, but it is your choice. Even with 32-spoke wheels, I don't think you will feel any aero advantage with the CX-Rays. Even with standard 2.0/1.8/2.0 spokes that are heavier, you will get a strong wheel and the weight difference will not be very noticable.

I personally like DT Swiss Rims better than Mavic rims.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Anyone have experience with IRD 30mm rims? Considering these.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2008
    What are you doing on CX rays at 250lbs? You should be on DT Swiss Champion 2.0's. Any weight savings will come from not stuffing that triple animal style cheeseburger down your throat at lunch!
    metrotuned single speed rider. 92510 Wheels of Steel.

A wheelist
    Both 32 spoke 3x laced
    There is absolutely NO benefit with the CX-Ray spokes for you other than to lower your bank balance a whole lot. Those wheels, with DT Comp spokes, will be fine for you - IF they are built properly.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

Just Plain Bitter
    There is no reason for CX Rays in this build. The wheels I have were made with DT competition spokes and are great. They have never had to be trued and all is well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Catzilla;
    Like, if "troubling" were a level seven worry, "concerning" would be a six, with "frightening" being an eight and "unexplained genital rash" being a nine.

2007 Pegoretti Duende Campy SR 11 Campagnolo Neutron
    2009 Look 586 Campy SR 11 HED Ardennes/HED Jet 6
    2012 Raliegh Roper - Stock for now