Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    I wonder how many who think "tubulars ride nicer" have used latex tubes with the clincher version of the same thing so they are comparing apples to apples with everything but construction?

I know that's probably N/A for Gatorskins but most good tubulars use latex.

When I went from butyl to latex with the same clinchers I felt it was a slight improvement. So I can't help but think if someone feels a tubular rides nicer than the same clincher they may actually just be feeling the difference between butyl and latex.
    I've used everything. Tubulars corner better. Tubulars with latex v. butyl feel a touch different. Maybe more supple but it's hard to tell. Much like clinchers with latex v. butyl.

Anyways, now with wider rims the clinchers are feeling and rolling much better imo. So much so I got rid of the tubulars and just roll clinchers for everything.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by woodys737 View Post
    I've used everything. Tubulars corner better. Tubulars with latex v. butyl feel a touch different. Maybe more supple but it's hard to tell. Much like clinchers with latex v. butyl.

Anyways, now with wider rims the clinchers are feeling and rolling much better imo. So much so I got rid of the tubulars and just roll clinchers for everything.
    I have the HED Belgium Plus 25mm wide rim, using 25mm tires, and they don't ride and feel as nice as my Vittoria Rubino 25mm tubs. But "feel" is mainly a personal taste IMO, just the way tubs roll is different than a clincher

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2018
    The gatorskin tubs are an excellent training tyre IME, very good puncture resistance and handle reasonably well [they are nothing like gatorskin clinchers - there seems to be confusion on that point in some posts above]. I have one on the front of my commuter at the moment as it goes.
    For everyday, though, I think the tufos are hard to beat just on how they behave with sealant. Their construction is different to other tubs, with the tube being annealed to the tyre, and it will seal a puncture very reliably IME [either running with sealant as standard or adding tufo extreme when you do flat].

Russian Troll Farmer
    I love tubulars, but there is no single tire that will satisfy all. On 3 wheelsets I have, I'm using the following:

Tufo S3 Pro: Incredibly durable, rides a bit hard
    Vittoria Rubino: Rides really nice, 23mm width, wouldn't expect much flat protection, hold air nice because it uses a butyl tube.
    Challenge Paris-Roubaix: Extremely nice riding tire, 28mm width.

The last 2, I have extra protection from using Orange Seal in them. So far, no punctures.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12