RoadBikeReview Member

Getting new tires......advice please

Don't ride any rough roads, and if I have to I am very careful. Going to put on some new wheels and want to get rid of my green tires. I know it won't make a difference but I don't want to go any heavier than the tires I have on now which are supposed to be 230 a piece. I currently have Vittoria Rubino Pro's. I haven't been riding for long and don't have any complaints about the tires. Here are the tires I have narrowed it down to (feel free to throw any others in here):

Hutchinson Fusion 3:
    Hutchinson Tire : FUSION 3 - Kevlar ProTech

Hutchinson Atom:
    Hutchinson Tire : ATOM - Kevlar ProTech

Continental Ultra Race:
    Continental Bicycle -Ultra Race

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Nov 2008
    Whats wrong with the Vittorias?

They are a good tire and in my opinion better than any you listed above. Especially the Contis. Continental makes a good tire and those are not them.

I like the Gatorskins and 4 seasons for training tires when the roads are crap. Vittoria open Corsas for when the roads are good. The Vittorais are a good riding tire even if they dont last nearly as long as Continentals.

Winner!
    Jan 2012
    Although i have no experience with the three you mentioned,

Ive been running Gator skins for training and gp4000's for racing for a few years and have to recommend them.

The gators will keep you riding and will last a VERY long time.

The 4000s have excellent grip, are quiet as heck and the high tpi casing will save ur butt without you noticing

Highly recommended

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    I just changed to tubulars, but will save that debate for another thread. When I clinched I used Continental gators, 4 seasons and GP 4000s. Great handling and tough as nails.

Currently trying out some other tubulars but will probably go back to Conti sew-ups.

Pitts Pilot
    Dec 2011
    There's a whole bunch o' tires that fit that description, not sure why you've narrowed it to those three. Whatever you decide, consider a 25mm. I recently switched from 23's to 25's. I don't think I'm any slower - maybe faster on some descents. They are definitely more comfortable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Just put on my second set of Hutchinson Fusion 3's after 3,100 miles on the first. Durable, only had 2 flats. Easy to get on and off. Corner great and only about 55-60 bucks for the set shipped from Nashbar.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NolesOrNothing View Post
    Just put on my second set of Hutchinson Fusion 3's after 3,100 miles on the first. Durable, only had 2 flats. Easy to get on and off. Corner great and only about 55-60 bucks for the set shipped from Nashbar.

This is exactly what I am thinking.

Pitts Pilot
    Dec 2011
    Conti 4000s is $56 right now at Excel Sports. I just got 2 for $49 each, but that was a daily special at bike tires direct. There are plenty who feel the 4000s is the tire to beat.