RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010

glueing tread on

I have a set of Challenge open tubulars (aka clinchers) where the tread is coming unglued from the main part of the tire.
    Any tips on a type of glue to glue it back down? I'm thinking I'll go to a shoe repair place and get what they'd use to glue rubber soles on to the shoes. Or is this just not going to work?
    They actually work fine but the section that's ungluing is getting larger so I'd like to glue it back down before it gets out of control.
    thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    Damn, I've heard that a bit with the Challenge Open Tubulars, which model? Ive got a pair of Chicanes and Baby Limus and haven't noticed anything untoward, yet.
    Great tires, but sounds like they can be a bit hit or miss with the tread coming off.

Challenge themselves may have a suggestion for a type of glue if you felt inclined to contact them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    I know yours are clinchers, but this procedure would probably work https://www.bikeman.com/bicycle-repa...r-tread-repair

grizzly moderator
    I would use Shoe Goo and let it cure for a minimum of 24 hrs before use.
    With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Wouldn't the glue used to patch tubes work?
    Too old to ride plastic

grizzly moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Wouldn't the glue used to patch tubes work?
    I am not sure. You have it to apply it on each surface and let it dry before pressing it together. Kinda of difficult to do on a delaminated tire.
    With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Ask at a shoe repair place is what I would recommend.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dcgriz View Post
    I am not sure. You have it to apply it on each surface and let it dry before pressing it together. Kinda of difficult to do on a delaminated tire.
    I understand that, but in TmB123's link a contact cement is used and the application takes that into account. I suggested the patch glue because most all of us probably have some in our inventories.
    Too old to ride plastic

grizzly moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    I understand that, but in TmB123's link a contact cement is used and the application takes that into account. I suggested the patch glue because most all of us probably have some in our inventories.
    It may work. Never used it though for this purpose so cant tell for sure. Ive ofthen used Shoe Goo and know this works.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Thanks guys. I'm definitely not very bright. I have tube patch stuff and intended to buy some shoe goo because I need it for......shoes....but didn't put two and two together here and figure it out for myself. I'll try one of the two. No harm really if either doesn't work well.

TM, they are the Almanzo model. I've really abused them on some serious lose rocky trails and then some. Well beyond what they are designed to do for a lot of miles. So that's probably a factor with the tread ungluing and if that's my biggest problem with them, which it is, I'm pretty darn happy. I'm really amazed I haven't punctured a sidewall or worse with all the crap I've ridden them on. And on top of that they feel nice and smooth/fast on regular roads.

Huge in Japan
    I've used E6000 on hiking shoes and to seam seal tents and it looks similar to shoe goo but it's been ages since I've used shoe goo. I can pick it up at Wally World and Lowe's here.
    Interwebs bumpersticker goes here

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I would also go with Shoe Goo to glue tread back on. I've tried tire patch glue before to use like contact cement, and didn't hold to well for a tire boot. Or tubular glue, for gluing tires to rims, if you have any of that around. Shoe goo is a little thick, and sets up fast, don't expect a long working time with it.

I also use Shoe Goo to build up the bottom of my cycling shoes (the one side I unclip all the time). Also great for filling in the small gashes and cuts in the tire tread. Sometimes these are so deep they expose the first belt under the tread. Shoo Goo stays in place and fills these cuts nicely.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    We used to use some kind of liquid latex to reattach base tapes to sewups. Not sure if this would help. Cannot remember the name on the container but recall it being French.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I ended up getting and using Freesole which is shoe goo by another brand. I left the tires on the rim and wrapped tightly with tape to hold down when drying. We'll see how that works.

Here's a tip for you: Don't use this stuff right after changing a chain. Things got messy and this stuff dries quick. So now I have black mechanic hands covered in a clear layer of freesole and it ain't coming off. I went to far and trying steel wool and scrubbing hard.......I'm stuck with black hands for the foreseeable future.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    So I rode about 200 miles this weekend with about 50 being off road, some of it pretty nasty.

Very happy that this worked really really well. I used Freesole because the place I went didn't have the Shoe Goo brand but it's pretty much the same stuff.

I used a lot of it and I'm pretty sure leaving the tires on and inflated then taping the tread down to apply pressure when drying was a good way to do it.

Just fyi. No need to chuck tires if the tread starts coming unglued.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks for the followup, I assume you hands are now clean?
    BTW, happened to look at Walmart yesterday, my local store had E6000 in the paint department, with all the other glues (no Shoe Goo there).
    But over in the shoe department, Walmart had Shoe Goo on an end rack with polish, etc.
    In case anyone else needs it fast. Both were a hair under $5.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Z'mer View Post
    Thanks for the followup, I assume you hands are now clean?
    BTW, happened to look at Walmart yesterday, my local store had E6000 in the paint department, with all the other glues (no Shoe Goo there).
    But over in the shoe department, Walmart had Shoe Goo on an end rack with polish, etc.
    In case anyone else needs it fast. Both were a hair under $5.
    ha, yeah thanks. Took about 4 days though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dredging this to mention I have a moderate case of peeling tread on a Vittoria Corsa G+. I'll repair w/Shoe Goo and see what happens. My technique will be to inflate the tire, spread some SG under the edge of the tread where it's peeling, and tack down w/masking tape until dry.

I guess this proves the VCG+ really is an open tubular - it comes apart like one. Not a particularly old tire. I bought it early this year, and it has been on my front wheel for 1k miles or so.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bobf View Post
    Dredging this to mention I have a moderate case of peeling tread on a Vittoria Corsa G+. I'll repair w/Shoe Goo and see what happens. My technique will be to inflate the tire, spread some SG under the edge of the tread where it's peeling, and tack down w/masking tape until dry.

I guess this proves the VCG+ really is an open tubular - it comes apart like one. Not a particularly old tire. I bought it early this year, and it has been on my front wheel for 1k miles or so.
    I'm the one who originally asked the question.

As a followup, those tires (Challenge Almonzo, kind of a CX/gravel tires) went on to die of natural causes. The shoe goo trick held perfectly for the remaining 1500ish miles I put on them before they wore down close to the casing.

Definitely self repair of tread coming off with shoe goo is something that works just fine.

I used the same method you are thinking of but I don't think masking tape is a good choice. It's too 'papery' and I don't think you'll get it tight enough. It may not matter but I'd still use a stronger tape so you can apply more pressure that masking tape can.
    Last edited by Jay Strongbow; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:58 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Good to know, thx. I did go ahead w/masking tape and it seems to have worked. About 1/3 of the width of tread had separated from the casing over a distance of 3 or 4 inches. Maybe a worse case would need stronger tape.

I've done a few hours of riding after the fix and it has worked just fine. I had some concern that the shoe goo would affect ride quality, but to my amateur sensibility there's no difference.