RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008

Going from Rolf Elan Aero RS to Reynolds Attack?

I've been on my Rolfs for two years. Most of my rides are steep 2-3 thousand foot climbs at a time, sometimes with multiple mountains in one ride. I want to stay light. Don't care about aero since time is lost or gained around here on the climbs. I got a new bike and I'm itching to get new shoes for it. The Attacks are a little heavier, but am I correct that they will be stiffer? Will there be a noticeable difference in flexing under heavy load out of the saddle? (I don't notice the Rolfs flexing now, but they may be because I'm so used ot them). I don't want to work any harder while climbing. Thoughts? Thanks!

P.S. - Budget is $1000.
    P.P.S. - I weight 180.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    I weighed the wheels at the bike shop, and the Attack front wheel is about 70g heavier. With the long steep climbs I do, I'm worried that I will notice it, and don't want to spend the money to find out. The Aero RS is very well reviewed on this site. Anyone riden enough wheels to comment on the stiffness of the Aero compared to other wheels? I may just replace the rear bearings, which have become a little ruff, and call it good for now....

Online Wheel Builder
    Attacks dont have the best hubs and larger riders often complain of significant rear wheel flex as well as spoke breakage.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    I have Rolf Prima Elans & Easton EA90SL's. I am also a bigger guy at 6-3, 200#. I have found the Rolf's to be as stiff as the Eastons. They are also way stiffer than the Bonti Race-x-Lite Aeros that I used to have.

I did have a problem after about 8,000 miles with pulling 2 spokes out of the standard Elan rear rim. I had Rolf install a RS rim so all is good.

I bought the Eastons when the Rolf's were in for service as I heard raves about them. They are fine wheels, but I prefer the Rolfs.