Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 62 of 62
  1. #51
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    29
    Yow! Neugent seems too good to be true!?

  2. #52
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    68
    John Neugent is the real deal. If you have any questions about the wheels, he usually answers via email within 24 hours. I asked a bunch of questions before I bought my wheels from him.

    Looking at a set of his 50mm deep carbon tubular wheels for my next set.

  3. #53
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    456
    Quote Originally Posted by mfdemicco View Post
    Open Pro rims are not durable. I cracked one in 6000 miles, and had eyelet breakage and creaking at the joint on others. They recently came out with a new Open Pro, so I don't know about those.
    What am I doing wrong? I have 4 wheels (3 rear, 1 front) built with Open Pros and they've been superb. The lowest mileage one has about 10,000 mi and the highest 25k miles - the brake track is starting to ovalize so is due a replacement. Have yet to see a cracked Open Pro rim built in the last 12 years. Built with Ultegra hubs they need a little truing care once or twice a year. Spent a couple of minutes checking the trueness and dish of my oldest set yesterday and went out for a brisk 50 miles. Felt better than ever.

    That said, I now usually build with wider Kinlin Rims. Great value for money.

    Riding a rear wheel with only 20 spokes is asking for trouble. Make sure you have a source for replacement spokes identified.

  4. #54
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,593
    Quote Originally Posted by carlosflanders View Post
    What am I doing wrong? I have 4 wheels (3 rear, 1 front) built with Open Pros and they've been superb. The lowest mileage one has about 10,000 mi and the highest 25k miles - the brake track is starting to ovalize so is due a replacement. Have yet to see a cracked Open Pro rim built in the last 12 years. Built with Ultegra hubs they need a little truing care once or twice a year. Spent a couple of minutes checking the trueness and dish of my oldest set yesterday and went out for a brisk 50 miles. Felt better than ever.
    What can I say? You must either be very light or your Open Pros have a 36 spoke count. Thought I have to say, unless you ride 5000 or more miles per year, I think having to true wheels every year sounds like they were built poorly.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

    "Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

    "Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger



  5. #55
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    631
    Open Pros can't take a lot of spoke tension. You shouldn't exceed 100 kgf unless you want the rims to crack much sooner. 100 kgf on the drive side means much lower tension on the nondrive side and the nipples unscrew. A low strength Loctite (222) on the NDS spoke threads works for that.

  6. #56
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    456
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    What can I say? You must either be very light or your Open Pros have a 36 spoke count. Thought I have to say, unless you ride 5000 or more miles per year, I think having to true wheels every year sounds like they were built poorly.
    5.5k miles per year for last 10 years. 75 kg. Ride lots of crappy roads and bunny hop potholes. 20-30 races per year. Build all my own wheels. 32 spokes on OPs . The 25k mile one has 28 spokes. They're light rims so careful not to overtension. Only monor but regular truing needed. I have several 24 spoke wheels on stronger rims and they need similar attention. I also really like the brake tracks on the OPs.

  7. #57
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,593
    Quote Originally Posted by mfdemicco View Post
    Open Pros can't take a lot of spoke tension. You shouldn't exceed 100 kgf unless you want the rims to crack much sooner. 100 kgf on the drive side means much lower tension on the nondrive side and the nipples unscrew. A low strength Loctite (222) on the NDS spoke threads works for that.
    Open Pros have a max 90kgF rating while most other rims are specced at 120kgF. On an 11-speed freehub, 90-100kgF on the DS will give you quite a low NDS tension.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

    "Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

    "Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger



  8. #58
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: terbennett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,293
    Neugent Cycling is a good place too. Most know John Neugent's former brand Neuvation. Customer service was second to none. He continues that same support with his company Neugent cycling. Handbuilt wheels with quiet hubs. Check these out:

    Specifications

  9. #59
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    283
    I'm a clyde with a history of nipple holes cracking on rear rims , until I built a set of wheels with the H Plus Son Archetype's rims, If you havn't bought a set yet look at some of these below, I can't vouche for some of the hubs but research them, The Shimano hubs are solid.


    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...&_sacat=177830

  10. #60
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    14
    I just bought a new set of wheels this last week. I was considering Neugent, November, and Psimet.

    I weigh 220, and wanted a strong yet lightweight 24/28 set. They all offered want I wanted at reasonable prices (my budget was a bit more than what the OP wants to spend.... $500-600).

    I went with Psimet. For $479, I got a nice 1465 gram set for my weight.

  11. #61
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,593
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventura Roubaix View Post
    I'm a clyde with a history of nipple holes cracking on rear rims , until I built a set of wheels with the H Plus Son Archetype's rims, If you havn't bought a set yet look at some of these below, I can't vouche for some of the hubs but research them, The Shimano hubs are solid.

    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...&_sacat=177830
    All great solid components on these, but read what I posted earlier in this thread about Velomine. They don't stress relieve their wheels, so they will need re-truing after a few rides.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

    "Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

    "Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger



  12. #62
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    295
    I needed a cheap set and just got a pair of Vision Team 30 rim brake clinchers from Merlin in the UK. Ordered on the 4th and received here in Hawaii on the 9th (no idea how they do that?) $231 shipped. Out of the box I measured axial /radial trueness at about +/- .002". Ping test on the flat spokes (20/24 drilling) was pretty even except a couple on the rear. "Vision" branded hub, don't really know anything about it other than cartridge bearing. Did a 20 mi shakedown today and it is a pretty quiet hub. There's some sort of anodizing on the brake track that seems kind of grabby (I have been on carbon tubs for the past year so it might be relative). I don't have a scale and these wheels don't seem like the lightest I have seen (claimed is 1920g), but for the intended purpose of backups should be OK.

    scott s.
    .

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 04-17-2009, 07:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

roadbikereview.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.