Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012

Good cheap wheelset?

@cxwrench has advised me to repost this question here: I need to replace the worn-out wheelset that came with my 2013 Giant Defy Advanced. Trying not to spend more than $300, and I have a personal dislike of noisy hubs. I've seen a bunch of good notices about the Shimano 6800, which is now discontinued; current version seems to be the Shimano RS500, but at 195 pounds I don't know if the 16/20 spoke count is a good idea. Then there's the Vision Trimax 30, Vision Team 30 and Vision Team Comp 30 -- the latter has cup-and-cone hubs like Shimano, which would presumably be quiet. Any feedback? Thanks in advance!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I recommend bicyclewheelwarehouse.com. They build great reasonably priced wheelsets. I would click on "road" and then "training " and you will find wheels in your price range with an option for 5800 hubs if that's what you desire. 24f and 28r for spokes, but most of the builds have options. Their Pure hubs are pretty quiet and roll well. My BWW wheels have about 6k miles on them and have been bulletproof so far.
    Last edited by robc in wi; 03-24-2018 at 08:31 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerDD View Post
    @cxwrench has advised me to repost this question here: I need to replace the worn-out wheelset that came with my 2013 Giant Defy Advanced. Trying not to spend more than $300, and I have a personal dislike of noisy hubs. I've seen a bunch of good notices about the Shimano 6800, which is now discontinued; current version seems to be the Shimano RS500, but at 195 pounds I don't know if the 16/20 spoke count is a good idea. Then there's the Vision Trimax 30, Vision Team 30 and Vision Team Comp 30 -- the latter has cup-and-cone hubs like Shimano, which would presumably be quiet. Any feedback? Thanks in advance!
    Wrong on the Shimano wheels. I weigh 195 pounds and have two sets of 6800 wheels and have been riding them for a number of years with lots of miles. They are very durable wheels and I wouldn't hesitate buying them again. Compare that to crap Bontrager wheels that crack after a year of riding.

A wheelist
    Yep it's tough to come close to BWW wheels for price, options and build quality for N.American made wheels.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding site - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilders with motivation, information and resources.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    A bit over your price range, but these are awesome wheels...

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Hun...-Wheelset/FVOM

They've gotten great reviews as has the newer "wide" version that's available on the Hunt Wheels website. Much wider than the Shimano wheels which give you greater comfort (can run lower pressure), better cornering, tubeless compatible, etc. IME, it's tough to find reasonably priced, wide aluminum rims.

As a bonus, I know of 3 sets that have been ordered from Sigma and you we all got them in like 2 days from the UK for $12 shipping!
    Well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man. - The Dude

RoadBikeReview Member
    I found a like new set of RS81 Shimano wheels for $150 on Craigs list - highly respected wheels. If you live in a community of reasonable size Craigs list would be a good place to watch daily to see what pops up.
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    I found your wheels here. Hand built DT460s laced to Shimano 105 5800 hubs. $130 for the front, $160 for the rear. Great components at a great price. I am assuming if they are hand built, they will be stress relieved properly:

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...8&category=245

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...7&category=245

If you want to take a chance with Velomine, you can get the same DTR460 rims laced to Ultegra 6800 hubs for $229. But as I mentioned earlier, these are machine built and aren't stress relieved. So you will eventually need to have them re-trued - grovel to your local bike shop that you bought them online and not from them. The good news is that a bike shop will usually only charge you around $25 for this service:

DT Swiss R460 Rims Road Bike Wheelset 8-11 speed 32h Ultegra [741463] - $229.00 Velomine.com : Worldwide Bicycle Shop, fixed gear track bike wheelsets campagnolo super record vintage bike
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by robc in wi View Post
    I recommend bicyclewheelwarehouse.com. They build great reasonably priced wheelsets. I would click on "road" and then "training " and you will find wheels in your price range with an option for 5800 hubs if that's what you desire. 24f and 28r for spokes, but most of the builds have options. Their Pure hubs are pretty quiet and roll well. My BWW wheels have about 6k miles on them and have been bulletproof so far.
    Whats not to like about that?

I bought some custom made wheels that cost about 1500 CAD all in which suffered a broken spoke with less than 1500 KM on them.
    Last edited by FasterStronger; 03-25-2018 at 07:05 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Lombard, you da man. I will remember you in my will (though as you can tell from my wheel-price range, that won't amount to much).

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    The problem with a lot of aluminum hoops out there (including Shimano, which is a mystery to me) is that they have narrow-by-current-standards bead and external width. This is a real problem in terms or aerodynamics and cornering performance with the current trend toward wider tires. Both Hunt wheels I mention above are some of the very few affordable options that are considerably wider.
    Well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man. - The Dude

RoadBikeReview Member
    Lombard, you da man. I will remember you in my will (though as you can tell from my wheel-price range, that won't amount to much).
    LOL! Glad I could help.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by robc in wi View Post
    I recommend bicyclewheelwarehouse.com. They build great reasonably priced wheelsets. My BWW wheels have about 6k miles on them and have been bulletproof so far.
    I also have BWW wheels with over 10K miles, no problems.
    These Pure Aero are now on sale for $249
    These are very nice hand built wheels done right. Look at the little details - 24/28, double butted spokes, etc. The Velomine stuff is machine built with 32/32 single butted spokes, and will likely need to be stress relieved and re-tensioned, agreed. Also will be a lot heavier.
    I know, I also have a similar set of wheels from Velomine, they are made in a huge volume wheel factory.

Pure Aero 700c Wheel Set 1600g

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Z'mer View Post
    I also have BWW wheels with over 10K miles, no problems.
    These Pure Aero are now on sale for $249
    These are very nice hand built wheels done right. Look at the little details - 24/28, double butted spokes, etc. The Velomine stuff is machine built with 32/32 single butted spokes, and will likely need to be stress relieved and re-tensioned, agreed. Also will be a lot heavier.
    I know, I also have a similar set of wheels from Velomine, they are made in a huge volume wheel factory.

Pure Aero 700c Wheel Set 1600g
    These are great if you don't mind that they are only 14mm internal width wheels. That being said, we rode on 14 and 15mm wheels for years before wider rims became all the rage. I did notice a feeling of more stability when I went from 15 to 17mm rims, though I can't say for sure whether that had to do with width or the fact that my newer wheels have a higher spoke count.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    These are great if you don't mind that they are only 14mm internal width wheels. That being said, we rode on 14 and 15mm wheels for years before wider rims became all the rage. I did notice a feeling of more stability when I went from 15 to 17mm rims, though I can't say for sure whether that had to do with width or the fact that my newer wheels have a higher spoke count.
    Those 14 and 15 mm internal wheels were OK for a 30+ years. Wider wheels are better, but iyou can also run wider tires
    I also have Archetypes, HED C2. For $249 you won't get everything. I guess it depends on what you are willing to concede.

I would take the handbuilt, 24/28, DB spokes and much lighter weight, over a lesser wheel in all those regards that was simply wider. But it's not my choice, just making a suggestion.

Mostly because I've owned wheels from both sources (BWW and Velomine) Velomine also sells much more expensive handbuilt stuff, but the lesser $ wheelsets are machine built and not fully stress relieved.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Another thumbs up for BWW. I've got 3 sets. A MTB set. Pure Podium. And Blackset Race. All great wheels. I've never had to true any of them.
    You'll be hard pressed to find cheaper, lighter, stronger wheelsets.

$400 for a 1388g wheelset hand built with 24/28 CX-Ray spokes.
    Blackset Race 24 700c Wheel Set
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Those 14 and 15 mm internal wheels were OK for a 30+ years. Wider wheels are better, but iyou can also run wider tires
    I also have Archetypes, HED C2. For $249 you won't get everything. I guess it depends on what you are willing to concede.

I would take the handbuilt, 24/28, DB spokes and much lighter weight, over a lesser wheel in all those regards that was simply wider. But it's not my choice, just making a suggestion.

Mostly because I've owned wheels from both sources (BWW and Velomine) Velomine also sells much more expensive handbuilt stuff, but the lesser $ wheelsets are machine built and not fully stress relieved.
    RangerDD,

I don't think you would go wrong with either of these two options. Either of these will be better than the stock wheels you are replacing. The BWW wheels will be around 300-400g lighter than the wheels I linked to. And 24/28 spoke count is plenty for your weight. Their wheels have a reputation here for high miles and reliability.

That being said, unless you race, you probably won't notice much difference. The lighter wheels may spin up faster from a stop and therefore feel faster (granted that feel is an important part of enjoyment on the bike), but once up to speed, it's a wash. Also, unless you consistently ride at speeds of 20+ mph, less spokes will not give you any aero advantage Your average speeds will not be significantly different.
    Last edited by Lombard; 03-26-2018 at 05:09 AM.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I am assuming if they are hand built, they will be stress relieved properly
    I would hope for that, but I would not assume it to be true. Seen too many cases where it was not.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    I would hope for that, but I would not assume it to be true. Seen too many cases where it was not.
    I should have known never to assume.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    How quiet are the Pure hubs?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    How quiet are the Hunt hubs?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    How quiet are the Hunt hubs?
    They are pretty quiet, not loud at all. But not totally silent like Shimano. Like any other typical cartridge hub, you need clean / redo lube when they start to get noisy, maybe every 2000-4000 miles, or less. Very easy to take apart and clean though, unlike Shimano which basically you never take apart (unless you are very brave).

RoadBikeReview Member
    They are pretty quiet, not loud at all. But not totally silent like Shimano. Like any other typical cartridge hub, you need clean / redo lube when they start to get noisy, maybe every 2000-4000 miles, or less. Very easy to take apart and clean though, unlike Shimano which basically you never take apart (unless you are very brave).
    The noise has nothing to do whether the bearings are loose ball cup and cone or cartridge. The noise comes from the freehub. Generally, the more points of engagement, the noisier the freehub. More pawls each making the same noise. Shimano freehubs only have 18 points of engagement. Some hubs have as many as 48.

Lubing a noisy freehub may work for awhile, but the noise will come back after not too long.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    I was nosing around our corporate perks discount site and noticed a 20% off for backcountry.com. They have the Shimano Ultegra WH-RS500 wheels for $299 (not including the discount).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    I was nosing around our corporate perks discount site and noticed a 20% off for backcountry.com. They have the Shimano Ultegra WH-RS500 wheels for $299 (not including the discount).
    I have to correct myself. In the other identical thread I misstated that the WH-RS500 was an entry level wheelset. I was confusing the older WH-RS501 which is an entry level wheelset and didn't get good reviews. I edited my post over there.

The WH-RS500 however is the newer version of the Ultegra WH-6800. This appears to be the same Ultegra wheelset as before. I really don't know what marketing people at Shimano were thinking when they decided to give this wheelset an alpha numeric designation only one digit off from one of their inferior wheelsets. Shimano newest version of the Ultegra group set is 8000, so you would think they would have a WH-8000? I guess not.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    That Backcountry discount only works on full-price items, and the RS500 is already on sale for $299 (in lots of different places). But especially in light of Lombard's revised quality update, looks like maybe it's back to square one and pulling the trigger on this wheelset. Many of the specs are near-identical to the Pure Aero pair on sale at BWW for $249, though I'm not sure those are tubeless ready (sent them that question but no response yet). All in all, Shimano's track record (and quietness) is a powerful enticement despite the general popularity of BWW.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast