RoadBikeReview Member

Gravel Bike Wheel Build

OK, now that I own a disc brake gravel bike, I need a winter project - an extra wheel set for it!

Contemplating a build with disc rims that are similar in width to what I have which is 23mm internal. Pretty happy with those, but then again, I've only clocked 300 miles so far. They are WTB i23 STS with Formula alloy hubs, 14g spokes (straight gauge) 32 spokes front and rear. 12mm thru-axle front, 12x142 thru-axle rear. Six bolt disc.

I am considering the following rims for a build:

https://www.dtswiss.com/en/products/...country/x-412/

https://www.dtswiss.com/en/products/...untain/xm-401/

I see that the XM-401 requires PHR washers. Does anybody know about these?

I have not ruled out the H+ Son Hydra or the HED Belgium Plus even though they are a little narrower.

As far as hubs, I am leaning toward the White Industries XMR. I would really like to get Shimano, but they don't appear to make any 6-bolt disc hubs.

I am thinking either DT Aero Comp or New Aero for spokes. I really don't care about aerodynamics and not too concerned about weight, but bladed spokes make building so much easier as windup can be immediately seen.

Thoughts?
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I am thinking either DT Aero Comp or New Aero for spokes. I really don't care about aerodynamics and not too concerned about weight, but bladed spokes make building so much easier as windup can be immediately seen.

Thoughts?
    Then go with the lesser cost "aero" spoke - the Sapim CX-Sprint, the poor-man's CX-Ray. I've been using them for a year maybe.

Sapim CX-Sprint
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding site - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder's with motivation, information and resources.

Everything above, up to that blue line, is IMO IMO.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post
    Then go with the lesser cost "aero" spoke - the Sapim CX-Sprint, the poor-man's CX-Ray. I've been using them for a year maybe.

Sapim CX-Sprint
    I think the Aero Comp is DT Swiss' equivalent to the Sapim CX-Sprint.

The Aero Lite is similar to the CX-Ray.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

-- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    If you don't mind a touch extra weight, you can always adapt centerlock to 6 bolt if you really want the Shimano hubs. It's the other way around you can't do. Opens up more options down the road.

If you plan to ever use a tire narrower than a 38-40 gravel tire, say maybe a 700x32 or even a 700x28 winter road tire, then having a set of rims with a smaller ID isn't a bad idea. I have a two sets myself, one a 24id one an 18id. My 700x32 CX tires get a squared off tread pattern on the larger rim that makes cornering a little less predictable than the more rounded shape they take on the 18id rim. Just something to consider.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks RCB78! Looking further, Shimano uses a system called "E-thru". I'm not sure they will fit my frame and fork. See below:

All About Thru Axles - Fairwheel Bikes Blog

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Thanks RCB78! Looking further, Shimano uses a system called "E-thru". I'm not sure they will fit my frame and fork. See below:

All About Thru Axles - Fairwheel Bikes Blog
    Shimano's E-thru system is just regarding the thru axle itself. Thru axle types are dependent on frame and fork, but are independent of the hub being used. This is why frames and forks come with their appropriate axles, but hubs come as a lone piece. As long as you get the hub with the correct OLD (e.g. 100mm vs 110mm for front or 142mm vs 148mm for rear) then you will be just fine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texico View Post
    Shimano's E-thru system is just regarding the thru axle itself. Thru axle types are dependent on frame and fork, but are independent of the hub being used. This is why frames and forks come with their appropriate axles, but hubs come as a lone piece. As long as you get the hub with the correct OLD (e.g. 100mm vs 110mm for front or 142mm vs 148mm for rear) then you will be just fine.
    Thanks for this info, Texico.

-- Warren Buffett