Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gumwall tires

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch16 View Post
    6'4" 38" cycling inseam
    Dude, do you really think aero wheels will help you become more aero with your height with that bike setup (stem is set to comfort)? You're like a moving skyscraper...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Keoki View Post
    Dude, do you really think aero wheels will help you become more aero with your height with that bike setup (stem is set to comfort)? You're like a moving skyscraper...
    Not at all. Deal to good to pass up and I like the way they look. Actually have to revisit the stem setup. Lost a good bit of weight and can probably go lower although don't think it will make much difference. Guys I ride with joke that they could read a magazine when I'm pulling.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    First ride on Vittoria Corsa G+ 25mm

It was a relatively flat ride, so no hair raising decents and thus no commentary on grip and handling (vs GP4000)

I'm also trying latex tubes for the first time. Since it's a new combination for me, I'm starting with the pressures a little higher than I did on my GP4000s. For this ride I as at 90f/95r at the start of the ride.

The tires felt fine. I can definitely feel a difference between them and the GP4000s. I don't know if I would describe the ride quality as 'better' or not. I'll know more once I've settled on a pressure.

I'm also interested to know how these are going to wear. I really wasn't looking to change tires, but I got these at the local shop for a decent discount, so decided to give them a try (some of the shop employees rave about them).

And yes, I'm tall. I'm 6' 5" and about 215lbs. I would have probably preferred these in 28mm, but this is all they had, so I decided to give them a try. So far, not bad.

As far as aesthetics, I'm still undecided if I prefer this look over the GP4000. It's definitely unique, and some people rave about them. Lot's of people noticed them immediately and asked about it.

I think it works better on all black bikes, but it's not bad.
    Last edited by Migen21; 09-07-2017 at 08:46 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Migen21 View Post
    First ride on Vittoria Corsa G+ 25mm
    The tires felt fine. I can definitely feel a difference between them and the GP4000s. I don't know if I would describe the ride quality as 'better' or not. I'll know more once I've settled on a pressure.

I'm also interested to know how these are going to wear. I really wasn't looking to change tires, but I got these at the local shop for a decent discount, so decided to give them a try (some of the shop employees rave about them).

And yes, I'm tall. I'm 6' 5" and about 215lbs. I would have probably preferred these in 28mm, but this is all they had, so I decided to give them a try. So far, not bad.

As far as aesthetics, I'm still undecided if I prefer this look over the GP4000. It's definitely unique, and some people rave about them. Lot's of people noticed them immediately and asked about it.
    I wish they still made a black version personally.

How do they wear? At your weight, the rear will likely be pretty worn in maybe 2K miles or perhaps less, if they are similar to previous Open CX Corsa.

I run the previous version (Open CX black) on the front and GP4000S II on back. The GP4000SII wears much better in the rear, maybe 3-4K miles for me. The Corsa in front goes forever, maybe 5K + miles compared to when used on the back.

I also run a lot less pressure in front, about 75psi, and 95 psi rear. I'm 185 with a 20 lb bike (with water bottle + tools). The ride is great.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12