Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Personally, I would avoid anything with an alloy freehub, which includes just about any brand of hub not mentioned in this paragraph. At 200lbs., if you have any strength, your cassette will eventually gouge your freehub and cause shifting problems. If severe enough, you may even have great difficulty separating the two.
    Bitex is now installing stainless steel splines on the hubs from BHS to prevent that gouging, and they also have available solid steel freehubs, great for heavier riders.

H Plus Son  Hydra-fh-rar12-antibite-2.jpg
    Last edited by MudSnow; 06-29-2017 at 10:17 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MudSnow View Post
    Brake track? Hydra has no brake track!

The Hydra | H PLUS SON

The Hydra
    Weight: 455 grams
    Material: G609 Alloy
    Height: 23 mm
    Width: 25 mm
    Size: 700c
    Joint: Welded
    Tubeless Compatible
    For Disc Brakes
    ERD: 589
    I stand CORRECTED! It is the Archetypes that have a brake track.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2015
    ERD is advertised 589, but that results in spokes about 2mm short.
    I am using 592 for calculations to get the correct spoke length now.

Weight is also closer to 480g. They must have increased the thickness of the spoke bed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2017

Hydra ERD

Weight is also closer to 480g. They must have increased the thickness of the spoke bed.
    I'm glad you posted this.

I wound up with too short spokes on the last Hydras I built also. I made a note, but it's kind of slipped my mind and I probably wouldn't have remembered the next time I built a pair.

I just checked my calculations, and using 591mm ERD results in the length spokes I wound up using. I also noticed the weight had changed a little.

Did you buy from BHS? We should ask them to re-check the Hydra ERD, and update it if needed.

They are nice rims. I'm a little disappointed they weigh a little more now, though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Just another reminder to trust nobody and ALWAYS DO YOU OWN MEASUREMENTS!!!

Not a bad thing.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

A wheelist
    Just another reminder to trust nobody and ALWAYS DO YOU OWN MEASUREMENTS!!!
    Why would anyone ever believe an important number that they didn't measure themselves? And I wouldn't care if the source was the factory engineer who made the extrusion die for the rim. If he wrote down the wrong number, he's not the one holding a fistfull of used spokes of the wrong length.

Then after the number leaves his hands, there are many more places where the number can be changed again. Even a correctly measured number can change if the extrusion die gets a running modification.

I do my best. If people don't read my ERD rant on my site or choose to ignore it then what the heck eh?
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding site - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilders with motivation, information and resources.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2015
    Instead of going on a rant about how the numbers can't be trusted, what I did was email to BHS, H Plus Son, and the spoke calculator site, informed them of my findings, and asked them to verify and update the website info. Because publishing incorrect ERD is worse than none.
    Last edited by MudSnow; 12-10-2017 at 08:49 AM.

A wheelist
    Instead of going on a rant about how the numbers can't be trusted, what I did was email to BHS, H Plus Son, and the spoke calculator site, informed them of my findings, and asked them to verify and update the website info. Because publishing incorrect ERD is worse than none.
    Yeah I got a pair of rims a couple of years ago and the ERD was way off - 4~5mm. I e-mailed the company and they agreed they had made a mistake and that they would change their info. They did, partially, as they changed the numbers on their website rim spec sheet BUT they didn't change the .pdf that went out to their dealers. This .pdf was available to consumers from the retailer's sites.

One well known rim retailer didn't have the updated info on their site and it was still incorrect months later when I stopped checking.

So, I give my findings to companies, if needed and I go on a rant occasionally. I gots the bases covered.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding site - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilders with motivation, information and resources.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post
    Why would anyone ever believe an important number that they didn't measure themselves?
    I don't know. Why WOULD anyone ever believe a number they didn't measure???

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post
    So, I give my findings to companies, if needed and I go on a rant occasionally. I gots the bases covered.
    And that's about all you can do. Nobody who reads what you have written can say they weren't warned.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2015
    That's a nice plan if what you do is order the rims, wait a week, measure, then order the spokes.
    I order the spokes and rims on the same day.
    I build mostly HED, Pacenti, and Stan's and they have been 100% accurate so far.
    The weirdest thing I have seen is Spank's ERD++, which basically means add 2mm to spoke length.

A wheelist
    That's a nice plan if what you do is order the rims, wait a week, measure, then order the spokes.
    That's how I do it. To do otherwise is to trust others. You get to measure the hubs too - and the way that the calculator you use suggests measuring them.

I order the spokes and rims on the same day.............they have been 100% accurate so far.
    And so far you have gotten away with it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I order the spokes and rims on the same day.
    Well, OK. I can understand if you're in the business of building custom wheels in a world where everybody wants their stuff yesterday. However, even if you order all the pieces together, I'm thinking it would still be prudent to do all your own measurements before building, so you don't have to re-build the wheel. If your spoke lengths are wrong and you find out before you build, then you have nothing worse than some extra spokes in your inventory.

Don't you think measuring takes less time than building a wheel over again?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I recently got a set from BikeHubStore.com Mine measured 592. I was pleased with the weight coming in at 470.

I was hoping to be able to remove the writing on the rim. I used spray carb cleaner on the Archetypes and it would wipe rite off. I'm Not having any luck on these???

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2015
    Acetone (finger nail polish remover) should take it off. Test on the inside of the rim first to make sure it doesn't damage the black.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Acetone won’t harm anodizing, although carb cleaner might (and oven cleaner WILL). I unintentionally found that mineral oil will lift the decals on a HED rim. Probably works on H+ too. You have to let it sit.

Hydras are nice rims. Built a set yesterday. For road-ish disc I think it’s very hard to do better.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by November Dave View Post
    Acetone won’t harm anodizing, although carb cleaner might (and oven cleaner WILL). I unintentionally found that mineral oil will lift the decals on a HED rim. Probably works on H+ too. You have to let it sit.

Hydras are nice rims. Built a set yesterday. For road-ish disc I think it’s very hard to do better.
    I've got a gallon of Shimano Brake fluid (Mineral Oil). I'll have to give it a shot. Did it take off the decals on a Hed C2/Belgium rim?

RoadBikeReview Member
    What is the objection to these decals? It's not like either H+ Son or HED uses anything terribly obnoxious. I've seen much worse.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    What is the objection to these decals? It's not like either H+ Son or HED uses anything terribly obnoxious. I've seen much worse.
    Yea...just about everyone else is worse...
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    A lot of people like no decals at all. I find HED’s graphics to be particularly nice (as I said, unintentionally figured out the mineral oil trick) and my personal set of Hydra-based wheels has the logos on them. I like them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by November Dave View Post
    A lot of people like no decals at all. I find HED’s graphics to be particularly nice (as I said, unintentionally figured out the mineral oil trick) and my personal set of Hydra-based wheels has the logos on them. I like them.
    I agree on both. I think the Belgium flag is a nice touch. And I like H+ Son's graphics in general.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I think the Belgium flag is a nice touch.
    I think it's pretty cheesy thing for a Minnesota company to put on rims they had made in Taiwan.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    I’ll give them a pass on that since InBev has (or had) a beer named America. It cancels out. HED alloy rims are actually made in China. Distinctions blur...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    I think it's pretty cheesy thing for a Minnesota company to put on rims they had made in Taiwan.
    But if you name your product the Belgium, a Belgium flag is appropriate.

wut?
    But if you name your product the Belgium, a Belgium flag is appropriate.
    That's what I was thinking... I like them--and the H+ Son graphics as well.
    There I was...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2018
    Ordered h plus son hydra 32h to put on 240 hubs. I cant return them or I would. found boyd altamont rims are fully designed and made in the USA and actually about same weight and strength about same inner width but have a nicer design, for about some price. Check them out on boyd site
    Last edited by HHHaro; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:15 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast