RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010

H Plus Son Hydra

Anybody got thier hands on them yet?

grizzly moderator
    Waiting for feedback on these as well. They appear to be the Archetype without brake tracks and with a tubeless well. Weight checks ok in my mind.
    With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dcgriz View Post
    Waiting for feedback on these as well. They appear to be the Archetype without brake tracks and with a tubeless well. Weight checks ok in my mind.
    I'm just glad they came out with a new rim for this instead of fcking up the Archetype for those of us who use tubes and think the archetype is perfect as is.

grizzly moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    I'm just glad they came out with a new rim for this instead of fcking up the Archetype for those of us who use tubes and think the archetype is perfect as is.
    Totally agree.
    With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Looking at dimensions, the Hydra is a bit wider and shallower than the Archetype. It also doesn't have that unique sharp point at the center that the Archetype does, but more of a round.

Products | H PLUS SON
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    I'm really interested in this rim, but saw some chatter on Instagram of tubeless blow-offs. That was a while ago, not sure if later batches fixed it or not.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I'm just diggin the 25 wide part. It wouldn't bother me if they came in around 460+

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2017

I Do

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch562 View Post
    I'm just diggin the 25 wide part. It wouldn't bother me if they came in around 460+
    They are 24.5mm wide and 460 ish. I have a pair built and in service. I ordered a couple more pair this morning.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by oleritter View Post
    They are 24.5mm wide and 460 ish. I have a pair built and in service. I ordered a couple more pair this morning.
    Where di you get yours?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2017
    Mine came from Italy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis1 View Post
    I'm really interested in this rim, but saw some chatter on Instagram of tubeless blow-offs. That was a while ago, not sure if later batches fixed it or not.
    Can you share more about this? Or where to find?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch562 View Post
    Cat's out of the bag.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by oleritter View Post

So did you build them up or have somebody build them up for you. Did you build them as a road tire or gravel or off road tire? How where they built?

Thanks
    Zman

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2017
    H Plus Son  Hydra-img_20170519_104902652.jpgHi Zman,

I think we have spoken in another forum.

Mill City Cycle built these for me, and I am Mill City Cycle. Mine are built with DT Swiss 350 Straight Pull Centerlock hubs and Wheelsmith Straight Pull DB15 spokes. I have 32mm Panaracer Gravel King SK's installed tubeless.

Wheels are working out great. I've done a few events on them, and a fair amount of training and riding miles. A small branch that rode up into my spokes knocked the rear wheel out of true once, but it straightened right out again.

My build is 24/28h and I am 200 lbs. You should have me build you a pair.
    Last edited by oleritter; 5 Days Ago at 10:54 AM. Reason: forgot pics!