Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

halp! tune hubs spec and build

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  wankski 
#1 ·
So, building an edge 25 rim into tune 70/190 hubs.. or 180

3 main questions...

https://www.starbike.com/images/tune/PDF/mig_70_en.pdf

https://www.starbike.com/images/tune/PDF/mag_190_kong_kong_superscharf_de_en.pdf

these specs say that the 190 can only be laced 3x... umm... i'm getting a 20/24 build, so thats kinda impossible...

1) i was thinking 2x DS, radial heads in NDS... will this void warranty? anyone done it? i'm thinking ligero or ruff can help with this one... someone else?

also the hub specs are:
Flanschabstand von Felgenmitte (außen- außen):
39/21mm(130mm)

2) that is outer-outer... anyone know the flange thickness or the c-c reading for my spoke calc?

3) also , what the hell is the spoke hole diameter for the tune 70 front hub? i have three different specs, 41, 26, and 37.5??
ha

ps: also says >100kg voids warranty... hrmm

cheers

joe

See less See more
#2 ·
also, just checking spoke length...

i figure radial front and nds, and 2x ds...

i've got 287mm, 285mm and 290 respectively.

my concern is that the edge uses internal nipples which they accounted for in their erd... but i cannot repeat their lengths on their spoke chart using dt spoke calc... so i dunno if something is out re: difference in nipples.

if someone can confirm lengths using cx-rays that will be great!

ta.

#3 ·
wankski said:
So, building an edge 25 rim into tune 70/190 hubs.. or 180

these specs say that the 190 can only be laced 3x... umm... i'm getting a 20/24 build, so thats kinda impossible...

1) i was thinking 2x DS, radial heads in NDS... will this void warranty? anyone done it? i'm thinking ligero or ruff can help with this one... someone else?

also the hub specs are:
Flanschabstand von Felgenmitte (außen- außen):
39/21mm(130mm)

2) that is outer-outer... anyone know the flange thickness or the c-c reading for my spoke calc?

3) also , what the hell is the spoke hole diameter for the tune 70 front hub? i have three different specs, 41, 26, and 37.5??
ha

ps: also says >100kg voids warranty... hrmm

cheers

joe
1. 2x lacing works just fine but if you radial laced the non drive side and the flange breaks they will not replace it.

2. 18.6 DS and 37.9 NDS

3. Diameter 37.6 and ctc 35.2.

Tune builds there factory build wheels to higher 100kgf but depending on the rim you may not need much more then that.

I get 284mm radial front, 294mm 2x NDS rear and 289mm 2x DS rear. I used 605 as the erd because that is what the last Edge 25's that I got in measured at.

#4 ·
LEGEND!! thanks troy! did you measure that using internal nipples with the spokes threaded thru? how many mm does that add you reckon to the usual erd reading done with normal nipples?

i'm assuming the pillar 3/16" internal nipples are the ones to use in this application...

OTOH i'm sure the erd wont vary much from your rims to mine... should measure it to make sure tho...

thanks so much mate,

joe

#5 ·
wankski said:
i'm assuming the pillar 3/16" internal nipples are the ones to use in this application...
Jeremy is now selling the ones with a recessed hole and without the nylock (Reynolds style). I'd get those... at least for everything but the NDS.

As for "no radial"... has anybody ever heard of a NDS flange breaking on any hub? I've seen all sorts of DS and front flanges, but never a NDS flange that I recall. The tension is so much lower over there that it seems unlikely. I've lived dangerously and laced a couple of DT190 hubs heads-in radial because they really need more bracing angle. Tune doesn't need this, though.

#6 ·
yep thanks ron, i agreed which is why i thought about radial in the first place - with cx-rays, i just think it looks better...

but given the impressive flange width on these things, i'll likely play it safe and go 2x.... these aren't my hubs....

its just weird that they say that for the nds, yet their front hubs are supposedly radial safe..

#8 ·
rruff said:
As for "no radial"... has anybody ever heard of a NDS flange breaking on any hub? I've seen all sorts of DS and front flanges, but never a NDS flange that I recall. The tension is so much lower over there that it seems unlikely. I've lived dangerously and laced a couple of DT190 hubs heads-in radial because they really need more bracing angle. Tune doesn't need this, though.
I have have a couple different brands of hubs with broken nds flanges sitting on my desk. Jeremy told me that he has a few broken Tune hub shells from radial non drive side lacing but that it is rare for it to happen. I have laced Tune hubs myself radial and none of them have failed so far but you do take a chance with the radial lacing.

#9 ·
Ligero said:
I have have a couple different brands of hubs with broken nds flanges sitting on my desk. Jeremy told me that he has a few broken Tune hub shells from radial non drive side lacing but that it is rare for it to happen. I have laced Tune hubs myself radial and none of them have failed so far but you do take a chance with the radial lacing.
I was told by Jeremy as well not to do it.

#10 ·
thanks all for all the input...

next question while i'm at it:

hows the longevity with this hubset? as compared to h2 or dt240s hubs... as in increased servicing?

how are the bearings on these lightweight hubs? durable enough for a 70kg racer?

cheers

much the same question as in this thread that wasn't really answered: http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=180467&highlight=tune+hub

bolt30 said:
Thanks for the reply. Is the Mag 180 a reliable hub? I know it is light, but is is reliable and fairly maintenance free? Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.