RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010

Hed C2 or Other for New Bike

I have a new bike build on the way. It is my first carbon bike and I plan to use it for most of my daily riding in the rolling hills with rough chip seal roads that are out my front door. I weight about 190 and current ride Dt Swiss R440 rims with 240 hubs. I seldom ride in wet weather and I do a fair amount of descending, sometimes on rough roads that require more dragging of the brakes than is needed on smoother roads.

The default choice is HED C2 clinchers, 240 hubs, and Dt Serolite spokes, 24/28.

I am wondering about a carbon rim alternative. Maybe a 9100 C40 or maybe something else, I am mostly ignorant of carbon rims because it does not seem like a wheel set that suits my riding conditions, but before I pull the trigger on the HEDs I thought I would at least look at some carbon options.

Any thoughts? thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well if you're ignorant, I'm impressed. The HED C2s and Dura Ace C40 wheels are exceptional wheels. HEDs are severely underrated IMO. For what HED offers and the number of innovations created by them, they should be more popular than they are. Their wheels are really nice. C40s- well they're Shimano wheels, meaning they will be good too. They are more inline with the HED JET4 C2s, in which they use an aluminum rim with carbon fairing. You can't go wrong with either. I chose Mavic Cosmic Carbones but if I had to do it again, those two would be at the top of my list.
    Last edited by terbennett; 06-07-2018 at 10:52 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    since you do a fair amount of descending, stick with the HED C2. Or better yet, go with the HED Belgium Plus rims if you have the cash

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    HED Belgium and Belgium plus are excellent and very durable rims. Paired with a decent hub, they can make a really nice wheelset (in the hands of a competent builder).

I have four sets of wheels (for different bikes) built around Belgium and Belgium Plus with Chris King, White Industries and DT Swiss hubs.

I like all of them very much.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Hed C2 rims are great but after having used those and H Plus Son Archetype extensively I don't think the more money for the Heds buys you any more rim so I'd suggest the Archetypes instead.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    So, I ended up with a set of He'd C2s, 24,28 with Dt Swiss 240s hubs and Aerolite spokes soldered and tied. They seem to be very nice wheels. My new bike is carbon and it has a different ride quality that I like, it smoothes out rough roads well-enough and acceleration is an improvement over my other bike, which I thought had excellent acceleration.

The builder suggested that carbon wheels might continue to offer a different ride quality than my current bike (Ti/Carbon with Dt Swiss R440 wheels) and I am intrigued now. I can appreciate the value of "difference" between the two bikes and I am considering carbon wheels as a further complement to the idea of "difference" in ride quality and experience. One suggestion is a set of Knight Composites 35, custom built 24/28. I'm intrigued, but one of my riding buddies commented that if I was going to get carbon wheels, might as well get the new Zip 202 NSW. The Knights are less expensive.
    Last edited by metalheart; 06-27-2018 at 12:10 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by metalheart View Post
    So, I ended up with a set of He'd C2s, 24,28 with Dt Swiss 240s hubs and Aerolite spokes soldered and tied. They seem to be very nice wheels. My new bike is carbon and it has a different ride quality that I like, it smoothes out rough roads well-enough and acceleration is an improvement over my other bike, which I thought had excellent acceleration.

The builder suggested that carbon wheels might continue to offer a different ride quality than my current bike (Ti/Carbon with Dt Swiss R440 wheels) and I am intrigued now. I can appreciate the value of "difference" between the two bikes and I am considering carbon wheels as a further complement to the idea of "difference" in ride quality and experience. One suggestion is a set of Knight Composites 35, custom built 24/28. I'm intrigued, but one of my riding buddies commented that if I was going to get carbon wheels, might as well get the new Zip 202 NSW. The Knights are less expensive.
    The DT Swiss hub and Belgium combo is a solid choice. I’m looking at the Astral Wanderlust for my next build, but have a couple bikes with Belgiums. Get the ratchet upgrade on the hubs.
    Pop a wheelie!

Icicle Bay a.k.a. Beetlebaum - Black Cat Disc Roadie
    Tang (CX) - 198? Curtlo Cyclocross (she's heavy, but she's mine)

RoadBikeReview Member

The DT Swiss R440s are not carbon rims. They are alloy. It is a dated design and discontinued, but there is still stock out there on closeout. They are nowhere near as nice as the HED Belgium C2s.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

wut?
    So, I ended up with a set of He'd C2s, 24,28 with Dt Swiss 240s hubs and Aerolite spokes soldered and tied.
    Hum...

HED C2's are great rims. I think you'll like them.
    There I was...

RoadBikeReview Member
    So, I ended up with a set of He'd C2s, 24,28 with Dt Swiss 240s hubs and Aerolite spokes soldered and tied.
    I have to ask you, why did you think it's necessary or advantageous to solder and tie your spokes?
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

What does he mean by "different" ride quality. Eg., it could be better or worse. Carbon bikes with carbon aero wheels tend to make for a rougher ride than carbon bikes and aluminum wheels. IMO, carbon bikes with wide 25mm rims (eg, HED Belgium Plus) ride freakin nice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I have to ask you, why did you think it's necessary or advantageous to solder and tie your spokes?
    I was thinking the same thing

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    I relied on the wheel builder for that decision, that is the way he likes to build his wheels. I will ask him and let you know.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    What does he mean by "different" ride quality. Eg., it could be better or worse. Carbon bikes with carbon aero wheels tend to make for a rougher ride than carbon bikes and aluminum wheels. IMO, carbon bikes with wide 25mm rims (eg, HED Belgium Plus) ride freakin nice.
    Keeping in mind that ride quality is in most cases subjective, one set of opinions is that carbon wheels make for a more comfortable ride. It does not take much discussion with riding peers or browsing internet sources to find that opinion. Similarly, there is an equally strong set of opinions that carbon wheels are pretty, but they do not necessarily make for a more comfortable ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I relied on the wheel builder for that decision, that is the way he likes to build his wheels. I will ask him and let you know.
    Interesting. I'd like to know as that is a very unorthodox method.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    The soldering and tie method was a method Shelton Brown mention on his web site I believe.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    I rode the HED C2 for the first time today and there is a noticeable difference from my previous wheels, the DT Swiss R440s: less bouncy, corner well, and they seem faster

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Interesting. I'd like to know as that is a very unorthodox method.
    It isn't unorthodox at all...it is very Old School. Back when rims were steel and pads and spokes and rims all sucked.

These days, with quality wheel parts, it isn't necessary.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    It isn't unorthodox at all...it is very Old School. Back when rims were steel and pads and spokes and rims all sucked.

These days, with quality wheel parts, it isn't necessary.
    Must be VERY old school. I'm in my late 50s and I never saw a bike with these.

I've read about it in wheel building books, but I don't think anybody has done it in a very long time.