RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010

Hed C2 or Other for New Bike

I have a new bike build on the way. It is my first carbon bike and I plan to use it for most of my daily riding in the rolling hills with rough chip seal roads that are out my front door. I weight about 190 and current ride Dt Swiss R440 rims with 240 hubs. I seldom ride in wet weather and I do a fair amount of descending, sometimes on rough roads that require more dragging of the brakes than is needed on smoother roads.

The default choice is HED C2 clinchers, 240 hubs, and Dt Serolite spokes, 24/28.

I am wondering about a carbon rim alternative. Maybe a 9100 C40 or maybe something else, I am mostly ignorant of carbon rims because it does not seem like a wheel set that suits my riding conditions, but before I pull the trigger on the HEDs I thought I would at least look at some carbon options.

Any thoughts? thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well if you're ignorant, I'm impressed. The HED C2s and Dura Ace C40 wheels are exceptional wheels. HEDs are severely underrated IMO. For what HED offers and the number of innovations created by them, they should be more popular than they are. Their wheels are really nice. C40s- well they're Shimano wheels, meaning they will be good too. They are more inline with the HED JET4 C2s, in which they use an aluminum rim with carbon fairing. You can't go wrong with either. I chose Mavic Cosmic Carbones but if I had to do it again, those two would be at the top of my list.
    Last edited by terbennett; 1 Week Ago at 10:52 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    since you do a fair amount of descending, stick with the HED C2. Or better yet, go with the HED Belgium Plus rims if you have the cash

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    HED Belgium and Belgium plus are excellent and very durable rims. Paired with a decent hub, they can make a really nice wheelset (in the hands of a competent builder).

I have four sets of wheels (for different bikes) built around Belgium and Belgium Plus with Chris King, White Industries and DT Swiss hubs.

I like all of them very much.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Hed C2 rims are great but after having used those and H Plus Son Archetype extensively I don't think the more money for the Heds buys you any more rim so I'd suggest the Archetypes instead.