aks
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007

Question HED JET 50 wheelset...Anyone have em??

I've been reading about these online and they look like they'd be a good alternative to the $2000 Zipp wheels. Does anyone have a set or any other HED wheels? What are your impressions or opinions?

Hammer
    I have a set of HED3 and love them. I use them as my every day wheels, and have had them for many year. I also have the ZIPP404's and love them, but if your looking to save a few dollars you won't regret getting the HED JET 50's.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    Would Zipp2001 would you find the Jet rims too heavy if riding team training rides (hanging on) 50-60 miles through roller averaging 2200-2400 feet of climbing vs a lighter rim like a 303 or even 404 tubular?
    "The problem with losing your mind is that by the time you realize it's gone, it's too late to get it back."
    Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson

Hammer
    I've used my HED3 on 24 hour time trials, and on century events with over 10,000ft. of climbing. I live on hills and love climbing, i'll run a disc. on such rides also.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I believe you can custom build a carbon wheelset for about the same price as the HEDs. A rather standard wheelset with Corimas should come in sub 1300g.

I lived not far from the HED factory and had the Jet and the Alps (before selling them)-- they had a few factory outlet sales, so I was able to pick them up cheaply. The Jet does not use structural carbon, but rather a fairing-- unless they have radically redesigned them.

If you consider the application of such wheels- comparing Zipp to HED- I would ask yourself why Zipps are so much more popular at twice the price.

Quote Originally Posted by aks
    I've been reading about these online and they look like they'd be a good alternative to the $2000 Zipp wheels. Does anyone have a set or any other HED wheels? What are your impressions or opinions?

aks
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    Thanks for the input everyone. Let me add that I am looking for a light but aero wheelset that I can use for everything, from training rides to centuries to races. I've heard that the Zipp wheels are good for racing but not everyday training. So any input as to a good all around aero but light wheelset is what I'm looking for.

aks
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    One more thing, I borrowed a set of Mavic Cosmic Carbone Premium wheels from my LBS. And going to those almost 1800 grams/wheelset from my 1500 gram Mavic ES's was amazing. I couldn't believe how sluggish the Cosmics were once I hit any little hill. Almost like once you lost any bit of momentum, it felt as if my brakes were on. Weird I know but I definitely could tell that the heavier wheel, no matter how aero, is a huge disadvantage when doing any climbing no matter how small.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    I raced on a set of Jet 60s this year and couldn't be more happy with them. I'd recommend them to anyone. Guys I ride with (and happen to work for HED) use them for everyday riding with absolutely no problems.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    Reynolds DV46!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    ya i use american classic carbon tubular 58's...they're not very expensive, and i went with the 28/24 spoke count...a bit of overkill, but they climb like champs and sprint like demons!

al0
    RoadBikeReview Member
    One more thing, I borrowed a set of Mavic Cosmic Carbone Premium wheels from my LBS. And going to those almost 1800 grams/wheelset from my 1500 gram Mavic ES's was amazing. I couldn't believe how sluggish the Cosmics were once I hit any little hill. Almost like once you lost any bit of momentum, it felt as if my brakes were on. Weird I know but I definitely could tell that the heavier wheel, no matter how aero, is a huge disadvantage when doing any climbing no matter how small.
    Physical models do not support this claim - you have to have relatively long climb with at 8%+ average grade to overweight aero advantage (go to anylitcalacycling.com for example). And real world tests go along with models (I do not have links on hand right now, but such discussion was here few months ago you may try to search for it).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005

Relatively insignificant weight difference

I'm quite certain that if the only difference between the wheels was weight, then the sensation of loss of performance was primarily mental, not physical. Afterall, the 300 gram difference is only half the weight of a full water bottle (and only about 0.4% of the total bike weight). If you substituted "half-full water bottle" for "a set Mavic Cosmic Carbone Premium wheels", "300 gram half-empty water bottle" for "1800 grams/wheelset", and "empty water bottle" for "1500 gram Mavic ES's", the above paragraph would read:

"One more thing, I borrowed a half-full water bottle from my LBS. And going to that almost 300 gram half-full water bottle from my empty water bottle was amazing. I couldn't believe how sluggish the half-full water bottlw was once I hit any little hill. Almost like once you lost any bit of momentum, it felt as if my brakes were on."

Sounds absurd, doesn't it? It is - which is why you never hear anyone say it.