RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008

Help choosing Carbon Wheels.

I know this is an old topic, but I have a quandary. I'm trying to decide between Fulcrum XLR Red Wind 50's and Boyd 44 Carbon clinchers. I presently have wheels from both companies and I like them both. Here's my quandary, I love the Boyds for the higher Spoke count and build quality. But i Prefer the alloy braking surface of the fulcrums and also the loose bearings over the sealed bearings of the Boyds. I wish the spoke count on the Fulcrums was higher, I have Fulcrum 3's which I love and have never touched them. They've been bullet proof.So if I'm to spend the Money for a good set of wheels I want to be sure. About me, I'm 60 years old former Masters Racer, 6'3, 195 lbs. On a good day I can put out 1300w, but having said that I've never broken a wheel. Do I pick braking surface over the durability of the Boyds in 28/24 config?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    First thought: Try some Enve carbon pads with your Boyds and see what happens before you decide. Not all pads are created equal and you may find this to be a simple and cheap improvement that can drastically change the braking quality of a carbon clincher.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I don't know if anyone makes carbon rims with alloy brake track sold as 24/28 rim only but that along with hubs of your choice would seem the obvious answer.

I'd suggest dropping the loose ball criteria if that helps open things up. Nothing at all wrong with cartridge. I've had both. Ownership experience is the same.

Also, If you don't ride in the rain and/or do a lot of steep tricky descents I wouldn't worry about a carbon brake track.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    I don't know if anyone makes carbon rims with alloy brake track sold as 24/28 rim only but that along with hubs of your choice would seem the obvious answer.

I'd suggest dropping the loose ball criteria if that helps open things up. Nothing at all wrong with cartridge. I've had both. Ownership experience is the same.

Also, If you don't ride in the rain and/or do a lot of steep tricky descents I wouldn't worry about a carbon brake track.
    Pretty sure Flo does.

changingleaf
    Like another said, you can try other carbon pads on the Boyd rims and if it's not good enough I think Aluminum will be hard to beat.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I think you guys misunderstood (or I did). He doesn't own Boyd carbon rims and if trying to decided between those and fulcrum.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    I think i need to clarify something, I presently own a set of Boyd Carbon 60's tubulars that i used for crits, if they were clinchers I wouldn't be looking to sell them. However, the area I live in has some decent size hills and I'm not sure I would feel comfortable using those wheels unless the newer rims brake better than these (2013) model. They were okay in crits because braking is light, so I never needed to stop quickly. So, do the newer textured brake tracks stop better or is a matter of getting used to reduced braking power?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    I think you guys misunderstood (or I did). He doesn't own Boyd carbon rims and if trying to decided between those and fulcrum.
    I took this statement as he does:

cyclist2 wrote: I presently have wheels from both companies and I like them both.
    Which are the Fulcrum 3's and some sort of Boyd. But, that he is in the market for another set which will be either the Fulcrum 50 or the Boyd 44.

edit: My timing is impeccable.

Boyd Cycling owner
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclist2 View Post
    I think i need to clarify something, I presently own a set of Boyd Carbon 60's tubulars that i used for crits, if they were clinchers I wouldn't be looking to sell them. However, the area I live in has some decent size hills and I'm not sure I would feel comfortable using those wheels unless the newer rims brake better than these (2013) model. They were okay in crits because braking is light, so I never needed to stop quickly. So, do the newer textured brake tracks stop better or is a matter of getting used to reduced braking power?

If you currently have the 2013 models then the braking will be greatly improved since then. We have the new textured brake tracks and it makes a lot of difference. The pro guys we work with actually prefer to use the carbon wheels in rainy crits compared to their alloy wheels.
    www.boydcycling.com Handcrafted Revolution

RoadBikeReview Member
    Can't go wrong with HED wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclist2 View Post
    . . . I love the Boyds for the higher Spoke count and build quality.
    I will certainly bet the Fulcrums are of way higher quality than anything Boyd is putting out.

Boyd Cycling owner
    Quote Originally Posted by Notvintage View Post
    I will certainly bet the Fulcrums are of way higher quality than anything Boyd is putting out.
    You can certainly bet on that for your option on your own wheels. We can't have everybody on our stuff.
    However, we have tons of customers, dealers, custom wheel builders, media, and even some energetic dogs who are all really happy with the quality of the stuff we are putting out there.
    And as long as they are happy, I'm happy.
    www.boydcycling.com Handcrafted Revolution