.je
    JRA FYI

Question Help! Hub doesnt let cassettes mount correctly

Maybe you folks could help me with a problem I'm having.
    I have a rear wheel with a Tiagra 4600 hub that goes on the trainer, and another 2 wheels used on the road, with a Bitex hub and a Mavic hub, and another bike with Formula hubs.

When the wheel in question was new it would interchange with the others freely. Now it doesn't exactly do that. Any cassette on it sits too far in, so the largest 2 cogs dont engage, and the chain can be dropped off the small end. Doesnt happen on any of the other wheels regardless of the cassette used. Putting another spacer doesn't let the retaining ring engage threads.

Iirc it might have started when I greased the bearings, but not sure. The freehub never came off. It does or did get squeezed in the trainer but that shouldn't change much.

Totally conflustered. What can be done? Thx!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Maybe you have too many gears on one.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by .je View Post
    Maybe you folks could help me with a problem I'm having.
    I have a rear wheel with a Tiagra 4600 hub that goes on the trainer, and another 2 wheels used on the road, with a Bitex hub and a Mavic hub, and another bike with Formula hubs.

When the wheel in question was new it would interchange with the others freely. Now it doesn't exactly do that. Any cassette on it sits too far in, so the largest 2 cogs dont engage, and the chain can be dropped off the small end. Doesnt happen on any of the other wheels regardless of the cassette used. Putting another spacer doesn't let the retaining ring engage threads.

Iirc it might have started when I greased the bearings, but not sure. The freehub never came off. It does or did get squeezed in the trainer but that shouldn't change much.

Totally conflustered. What can be done? Thx!
    Take some measurements. If an extra spacer doesn't let the lock ring engage, then that is not likely the issue. Measure the width of the cassettes on all of your wheels and the distance from the largest cog to the axle face (that touches the frame) and from the smallest cog to the axle face. If all these measurements match up between your wheels, then the problem is something else entirely. If they don't match (and the mismatch would have to be significant to cause the problem you describe) then you can start your explorations there.

.je
    JRA FYI
    Well, I'll do that, but the same cassette works on the other wheels, just not on this one. But, it used to... ?

Adorable Furry Hombre
    What Kerry said.

Also, What kind of cassette are you using? Specific make and model. The lockring issue sounds like the wrong brand or size lockring.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think the OP may be talking about the need for RD adjustment, rather than the cassette not fitting.

Any cassette on it sits too far in, so the largest 2 cogs dont engage,
    Is my understanding correct?
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjulio View Post
    I think the OP may be talking about the need for RD adjustment, rather than the cassette not fitting.

Is my understanding correct?
    yes, pretty sure.
    Not sure which is the wheel in question but either you didn't put it back together as it was before or, if it's the Mavic, you lost the Mavic spacer that came with the hub and are using a different size now.

.je
    JRA FYI
    I didn't lose any spacer. If you don't put that in the cassette is loose along the freehub, so it's there. My guess is that I just started to put too many spacers in my road hubs because it seemed to go together smoother that way. Will try to sort that out first.

OK maybe I asked wrong: there's a Formula 9-speed hub, and a 4600 Tiagra hub. I took the 9 speed cassette off the working Formula hub, put it on the 4600 hub, and set up the trainer with this wheel, and the gears are all way, way off as described. That's a simpler way to explain this.

I'll however look at the spacers as you suggested.
    Last edited by .je; 10-19-2017 at 05:50 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I didn't lose any spacer. If you don't put that in the cassette is loose along the freehub, so it's there. My guess is that I just started to put too many spacers in my road hubs because it seemed to go together smoother that way. Will try to sort that out first.

OK maybe I asked wrong: there's a Formula 9-speed hub, and a 4600 Tiagra hub. I took the 9 speed cassette off the working Formula hub, put it on the 4600 hub, and set up the trainer with this wheel, and the gears are all way, way off as described. That's a simpler way to explain this.

I'll however look at the spacers as you suggested.
    If 'it' means you are using one spacer and it's the mavic wheel you indeed did lose a spacer.

.je
    JRA FYI
    Figured it out: When I repacked the bearings, I took off a collar that goes over the axle from the NDS, then when everything went back together, put it on the DS, so the hub now sat to the left the 5mm length of that collar ' a "spacer" if you will ' . Not coincidentally, I had to super-dish the wheel so it wouldn't rub the chain stay, for until-now unknown reasons.

I switched the side the collar is on, and the gears all engage. Now I'll have to properly dish the wheel again. Thanks all (sorta)!

Russian Troll Farmer
    I switched the side the collar is on, and the gears all engage. Now I'll have to properly dish the wheel again. Thanks all (sorta)!
    You actually re-dished the wheel before sorting out the spacers? I guess you've never worked a a bike mechanic.......
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    You cannot fix one fu with another fu, it will always be fu'd.

In more pc words, if you fixed something and it presented another problem, go back to the first problem and fix it again.
    BANNED