Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by roger-m View Post
    As has been pointed out, the Wheelpro calculator cannot be used for 2:1 lacing.
    When writing it, I did originally have some 2:1 code but then removed it, because if I remember when doing the analysis there are two options for the crossed side, and the amount of code was getting silly for a lacing pattern I've never built of evaluated, and since hub and rim manufacturers seem to be no longer supporting the pattern, I removed 2:1 from the calculator.
    All I know Roger is that I used it to do an 18/9, 3x & radial wheel and it worked out just fine. I was really no more than a 36 spoke wheel in one calculation and a radial in the other. Two separate calcs. But then I have a radial spoke between each crossed pairs of DS spokes and it sounds like the OP is doing something more fancy than that. Anything like that is beyond my simple mental capacity plus my interest level.

In my stable of current wheels, the Wheelpro calc is responsible for 3x/3x, 3x/2x, 2x/2x, 2x/1x and 3x/radial 2:1.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding site - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilders with motivation, information and resources.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    So this would all be easier if I did a 3x? I am looking at about 6 rear wheels and they are all triplet and split between 2x and 3x.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    When I built a 2:1 wheelset I used the formula in Musson's book but I modified it. If you look at the equation one step of the equation assumes that the total number of holes in the rim is twice the number of spokes on a side. In 2:1 lacing this is not correct. This made a difference of 10mm in the spoke length calculation in my spreadsheet. I adjusted the equation and my wheels are rideable. But not perfect because I was doing other potentially disastrous experimental things--lacing 32 hole hub 2:1 with 24 spokes to a 24 hole rim by skipping every other flange hole, which I'm sure that no one here would advise me to do

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    So would this be easier if I laced it 3x?

wheelbuilder
    Triplet rear, 16 spokes, 3X will be 288mm (ERD of 592.5mm). I have a calculator for triplet.

NDS is just radial.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ergott View Post
    Triplet rear, 16 spokes, 3X will be 288mm (ERD of 592.5mm). I have a calculator for triplet.

NDS is just radial.
    Would you please be kind enough to share said calculator so that I can verify lengths myself? My measured ERD was 594
    Thank you,

Kevin

wheelbuilder
    Quote Originally Posted by yourrealdad View Post
    Would you please be kind enough to share said calculator so that I can verify lengths myself? My measured ERD was 594
    Thank you,

Kevin
    Using 48 spokes cross 5 in a spoke calculator:

resulting right side spoke length - ((3.14*right flange diameter)*0.0104). Thanks go out to Jeremy Parfitt (ALchemy hubs) for the formula.

I created a formula in a cell so the calculation pops up for me. I've been using spocalc for the longest time.

Hope that helps,

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Ergott, or anyone else. Can you please check my math and such.

Spokecalc (express) gave me a spoke length of 290.6 for 48h 5x

So 290.6-((3.14*50.6)*.0104)=288.9

My first set of spokes were 284mm for 2x and were way long. Is the extra cross really going to take up the extra slack plus 5mm?

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-04-19 at 8.08.22 AM.png
Views: 41
Size:  38.2 KB

wheelbuilder
    That's the figure I get with the supplied ERD. I've used the calc for many different rim/hub combinations and it hasn't failed me. You have to be sure of that ERD.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ergott View Post
    That's the figure I get with the supplied ERD. I've used the calc for many different rim/hub combinations and it hasn't failed me. You have to be sure of that ERD.
    Measured it myself

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123