Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011

Help with lacing 16:8 wheel

So I am about to do a 2x DS/ Radial NDS 16:8 drilled rear wheel, however I am a little stumped on whether or not to rotate the hub?

Do I lace like 8 spokes on the DS then rotate and do the other 8? Do I add the radial NDS after the DS has been laced?

I can't really find any info on how to lace a 16:8.

Thank you for your help

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by yourrealdad View Post
    So I am about to do a 2x DS/ Radial NDS 16:8 drilled rear wheel, however I am a little stumped on whether or not to rotate the hub?

Do I lace like 8 spokes on the DS then rotate and do the other 8? Do I add the radial NDS after the DS has been laced?

I can't really find any info on how to lace a 16:8.

Thank you for your help
    Well, you like, lace the first 8 like you said, then like lace the other 8 on the drive side. Then like lace the radial spokes after you've done the DS. You like have to rotate the hub, you know?

Sorry, had to do it.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

A wheelist
    It will be the easiest wheel you ever did, next to a radial front wheel that is. As cx said - first 8, second eight, then the radials. The biggest problem you will have is getting the radials through the other spokes if you go heads-out (as I would do). And when you have done one spoke it's bob's yer uncle for the rest.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding site - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder's with motivation, information and resources.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Wow.....I wish he'd post pics of the finished product.....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Like, I didn't even notice like I did that. Bummer that my forum talk is that of a teenager.

So just to be clear, lace 8, then rotate, then lace 8, then radial?

Thanks again

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    NO, like lace 8, then like rotate, then like lace 8, then like radial? Come On!
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Like thanks.

On a completely random note to hijack my own thread, I just built up a 3x mtb wheel. I kept stress relieving it at every set of turning. I never heard any noise like I usually get and so probably like an idiot wound up my spokes, because I usually start taping a few of them towards the end, but I never got any noise, so I didn't,

Is it possible to build a wheel without wind up or stress relieving noise?

Like thanks.

On a completely random note to hijack my own thread, I just built up a 3x mtb wheel. I kept stress relieving it at every set of turning. I never heard any noise like I usually get and so probably like an idiot wound up my spokes, because I usually start taping a few of them towards the end, but I never got any noise, so I didn't,

Is it possible to build a wheel without wind up or stress relieving noise?
    Do you squeeze the spokes at the crosses are you're building and adding tension? I do that without thinking about it and I guess because of that I rarely get any noise when I'm done w/ the wheel. I actually don't squeeze the crosses but the parallels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    I have done most of the methods listed on Mike's website. I usually go with the pressing down on the outside of the rim and rotating it. Easier on my dainty hands.

A wheelist
    I have done most of the methods listed on Mike's website. I usually go with the pressing down on the outside of the rim and rotating it. Easier on my dainty hands.
    I have no way of proving it but I think that the more steps that are taken to bed spoke bends and nipples, stretch spokes past their normal tensioning stretch, unwind twist, straighten spoke path and probably a few other things that I can't think of right now, the better the wheels will be in their build quality. Oh sure there are diminished returns as more "optimization" methods are added and time is money to pro wheelbuilders and they have to factor that. But for us home wheelbuilders a few extra minutes invested in each wheel build might pay dividends.

Yes I know pro wheelbuilders who just use the "squeeze parallel spoke pairs" method and I'm sure their comeback rate for wheel returns is very low but if we can justify the time (a handful of minutes per wheel?) why wouldn't we spend it?

As purely anecdotal evidence I have not had one spoke ping or one wheel need re-truing (from normal riding) ever since I started employing all the steps outlined on my site. And that goes back 2-3 decades.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding site - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder's with motivation, information and resources.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    So do you think I need to go back and unwind my spokes?

A wheelist
    So do you think I need to go back and unwind my spokes?
    Like YEAH !!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks Mike. Just found it interesting you can have wind up, but no spokes pinging when you relieve them.

Thanks Mike. Just found it interesting you can have wind up, but no spokes pinging when you relieve them.
    What kind of spokes are you using?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Sapim Race for the road and mtb wheels

RoadBikeReview Member
    Interestingly, I don't hear pinging when I stress relieve wheels I've built myself.

However, I bought a set of wheels from Velomine once (Velomine doesn't stress relieve their wheels). They pinged like crazy when I stress relieved them!!
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Unless I am completely mistaken, at least one source of the "ping" is the threads in the nipples "getting to a better place." If the threads are lubed you get a lot less ping.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Unless I am completely mistaken, at least one source of the "ping" is the threads in the nipples "getting to a better place." If the threads are lubed you get a lot less ping.
    That's probably why I never hear my own wheels ping. I always oil my spoke threads before I lace the wheels.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    I oil my threads and eyelets on all my wheels that i have built and have had some ping and others not ping. To ping or not to ping that is the question.

A wheelist
    To ping or not to ping that is the question.
    Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the wobbles and broken spokes of outrageous wheels, or to take a spoke wrench against a sea of troubles, And by opposing wound-up and loose spokes, end them? THAT is the question. Jobst Brandt, Act III, Scene I.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Windup is evidenced by movement, not necessarily sound. Movement can exist without sound. The absence of sound ≠ the absence of movement. Strive for the absence of unwanted movement. To move or not to move is the better question.

As long as I'm on today's pedantic twat journey.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by November Dave View Post
    Windup is evidenced by movement, not necessarily sound. Movement can exist without sound. The absence of sound ≠ the absence of movement. Strive for the absence of unwanted movement. To move or not to move is the better question.
    Where's Hawking when you need him? He checked out too soon.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    So just laced the wheel up and something is very wrong. All my DS spokes are way too long. Did I lace the wheel wrong?
    My lacing pattern is 2 DS spokes 2x and next to each other through the spoke holes and then one radial NDS next to them.

I just put the measurements into wheelpro's spoke calc again and got the same measurements.
    Last edited by yourrealdad; 1 Week Ago at 04:38 PM.

banned
    Dec 2009
    You need a calculator that accepts fractions.

The lengths required for 2:1 lacing differ from regular 2x or 3x.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    And can you lead me to one please?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast