Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cpark View Post
    I had pretty good experience with Nox rims.
    I would recommend a R36 (27.5mm ext width/20.5 int width) on the front and a R55 (28mm ext width/18mm int width) on the rear.
    interesting. A set of 55mm deep spec'd with DT 240s and Sapim X turn out to be around $1800. I'd say that's great value when compared to the industry top brands.

Boyd Cycling owner
    Quote Originally Posted by BelgianHammer View Post
    This thread is interesting to read:

..since I live here in Belgium, race kermesses around here and up in the Netherlands, I often wonder about what people actually mean when they say they "have experience" with crosswinds. Since my sis lives in Greer, SC, near Boyd, 3-4 weeks a year I spend time riding/training there (along with out SWest). Even on the so-called most windy days I've heard some say that day is in Greer, to me that day it is like a gentle breeze compared to what I've endured along the Belgium/Netherlands coast.

When the winds come here at home, on either riding/training/racing days, nearly all guys take off their front deep rim wheels & replace with a 25mm and/or under rim depth wheel. Rubber still stays 25mm or 28mm. And even then, 25mm rim depth makes ya feel like you are going to, which will happen if you aren't vigilant, get slammed to the ground when you come through the paceline and/or echelon.....pizza or no pizza......

So, 23mm or 28mm tire or not, here I'd have to be standing or squatting on the front axle of Boyd's 50-80mm wheels while gripping 5 large pizzas in each hand just to stay upright some days... But, meh, when the winds are only, say, sub-40 kmph (25mph), that's like gentle breeze dove-flapping their wings stuff. And those deep carbon f&r wheel guys during these gentle days are coming through like nothing's wrong.....though we have watched a few mysteriously disappear over the years when a gull flew by, backwards & sideways
    You must not have ridden Donaldson center during a spring series race. We've finished races there where the largest group is 5 riders. I remember one of my teammates won the pro race by breaking away into the headwind section at a whopping 13 miles per hour.

And we are very familiar with the Belgian conditions. We're in the process of setting up our European headquarters right now in the Maastricht area (located conveniently close to the Val-Dieu brewery!). Our guy in the Netherlands has been riding in all conditions (aussiecyclist on Instagram), so he's super familiar with the wind conditions that can occur there and is always on the 44mm clinchers.
    www.boydcycling.com Handcrafted Revolution

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Damitletsride! View Post
    Easton versus Mavic versus Fast Forward versus Vision .

So I want to invest in a pair of fast wheels for a couple of long distance road cycling marathon efforts I have this year. Nothing too crazy, maybe 500 to 700 kilometres non stop, on roads with not a huge amount of elevation gain. I would expect to be averaging around 24-28 kilometres an hour, but I'm not too sure on that at this stage... possibly a bit higher. My aim will be getting the best time I can.

I already have an aero bike, I just need to change the wheels.

The Easton EC90 Aero 55 carbon wheelset. I was recommended this by a friend who works in a bike shop, he said they are the business these days. I like them but wanted to see what other options there are for slightly cheaper. So he also recommended the following;

Mavic Cosmic Pro carbon Exalith and Pro carbon SL.

Vision Metron 55 SL.

Fast Forward F4R carbon.

I realise these are all slightly different price points, but is there any major differences that I should be aware of between the brands, apart from the price and weight? Is it largely down to which ones I like the look of the most?

Cheers and thanks.
    I have the Easton EC90 Aero 55 in tubular. I'm what you call paper weight at 120ish lb, and I believe I'm qualified to convey about their crosswind stability here. These wheels, at the 55mm depth range, are the most stable aero wheels I've used! Zipp 404 Firecrest (also 55mm) cannot come close to matching the Easton Aero 55 in the stability department. I also have use Zipp 303 Firecrest (45mm deep), and even the 303s are not as stable as the Easton Aero 55 in my experience. I find these Aero 55 have the same stability factor as Enve 45mm rim (from their 3.4 wheelset) and Shimano Dura Ace 9000 wheelset (50mm deep). Enve 60mm rim (from their 6.7 wheelset) is no where near as stable as the Easton Aero 55 (in fact, I sold my Enve 6.7 right after demo'ing the Easton Aero 55).

When you're cruising straightline on the flat, these wheels are awesome! Hold their speed just like you'd expect from a 55-60mm deep wheel, and NOT have to worry about hitting a random crosswind while you're on the aerobars or dogpaw-style on the hoods. For a 120lb guy to not have to think about this at 24-25mph, it should tell you how stable these wheels are. I wound hesitate to do this with Zipp 404 for fear of getting the front wipe out by a random wind swirls.

My ONLY knock against the Easton Aero 55 is their build quality. Sadly, after some time using them, I've found their their quality is sh*t, to put it nicely. Why? Both rims have their carbon delaminated when I pull the glued tires out of them. None of the other tubular carbon rims have ever delaminate like this on me, ever. Easton did end up replacing both of my rims, so kudos to Easton for replacing them, but now I'm afraid to use glue on them again, instead I'll probably use tubular tape instead (tape is weaker than glue). But since haven't mounted tires on them since getting them back from warranty, I'm also considering selling them because that's how much I'm disappointed with their quality. Maybe the clincher version will not have the issue with delaminating at the rim bed, but I wound NOT recommend their tubular version despite how I love their crosswind performance!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by coachboyd View Post
    You must not have ridden Donaldson center during a spring series race. We've finished races there where the largest group is 5 riders. I remember one of my teammates won the pro race by breaking away into the headwind section at a whopping 13 miles per hour.

And we are very familiar with the Belgian conditions. We're in the process of setting up our European headquarters right now in the Maastricht area (located conveniently close to the Val-Dieu brewery!). Our guy in the Netherlands has been riding in all conditions (aussiecyclist on Instagram), so he's super familiar with the wind conditions that can occur there and is always on the 44mm clinchers.
    I only get to come to Greer in June/July, so I'd imagine that is during the calm part of the year wind-wise. It's gotta be now that I think about it (been coming 6 yrs, this will be the 7th), because the weather is just too darn nice in the area (that big yellow thing in the sky is always up there---freaks me out, lol, after having become convinced after living here so many years here it no longer exists). When in Greer, every time I ride over to & up/down Paris, I end up staring at all the gorgeous homes & wishing my name was Gates or Zuckerberg or Buffett. If it was, I'd move & buy/build there in a heartbeat. It's one of the best kept secrets on the Eastern seaboard, imho. That said, I sure hope they've repaved some sections of Paris' backside, as that stuff was coming loose last yr! Same goes for Ceaser's Head---coming back down 276 was scaring the crap out of me dealing with loose asphalt in certain sections where I couldn't swing out into the lane because of traffic behind me (or in front). You guys gotta pay more State taxes, Coach Boyd, pave them dang things butter smooth!

Boyd Cycling owner
    Quote Originally Posted by BelgianHammer View Post
    When in Greer, every time I ride over to & up/down Paris, I end up staring at all the gorgeous homes & wishing my name was Gates or Zuckerberg or Buffett. If it was, I'd move & buy/build there in a heartbeat. It's one of the best kept secrets on the Eastern seaboard, imho.
    What's crazy is that all those nice houses on top of Paris Mountain actually cost way less than a 2 bedroom condo in downtown now. Everybody wanted to move downtown, so the pricing has skyrocketed down there. I actually live right there at the top of Paris, as do a lot of the cyclists.

When you are in town shoot me a message and we'll go for a ride!
    www.boydcycling.com Handcrafted Revolution

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    What's crazy is that all those nice houses on top of Paris Mountain actually cost way less than a 2 bedroom condo in downtown now. Everybody wanted to move downtown, so the pricing has skyrocketed down there. I actually live right there at the top of Paris, as do a lot of the cyclists.

When you are in town shoot me a message and we'll go for a ride!
    Will do. If all goes well, last week of June or first week of July I'll be there for 3 weeks.

I've gotta feeling I am going to come home with a set of your 44mm carbons, I like more I read and look at them---just want to see the 85 hubs in person, talk with ya about servicing them, and decide on them or going with T11s (which I'm already familiar with).

P.S. At the top of Paris? Man, the thought of going for a ride from home and then ending going back up either side (at ride's end) might not be so fun some days, haha

RoadBikeReview Member
    Actually Lombard is right on this one. Deeper wheels are susceptible to crosswinds. That's why Enve uses a lower diameter wheels on the front and you only see full wheel disc on the rear. The entire reason for new shapes like the Zipp's new NSW wheels, are designed the way they are. Whether or not they work, I can't say, but there is no doubt that crosswinds affect the handling on deep rims. that's why companies are coming up with different designs. everyone is trying to solve the problem. I know that both my Mavic Cosmic Ultimates and Zipp 404s are horrid to ride with on high wind days. Even my 30mm Velocity Deep Vs are affected. When we get Santa Ana winds here in So Cal, I know to ride on my lower profile wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    The absolute statement "the deeper the wheel, the worse it will be in crosswinds" is absolutely wrong. A corollary to that would be "every wheel of the same depth is equally susceptible to crosswinds," which is also false. Between two wheels of the same section design, the deeper will almost certainly be more susceptible to crosswinds, but not all wheels are the same section design. An up to the minute well-designed 50mm rim could very likely be easier to handle than your Velocity Deep Vs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2018
    We're in the process of setting up our European headquarters right now in the Maastricht area (located conveniently close to the Val-Dieu brewery!).
    Sorry for being somewhat off topic (and this is my firs post) but I couldn't let this pass without reaction. That is my riding territory (I live in Liège) and I currently ride those roads on a set of Boyd Altamont rims. My wheelbuilder was amazed by their quality (he called them "scary straight") but was somewhat put off by the idea of ordering them direct from the US, as I did. So it's definitely good news that you chose that location and I will gladly pass that information on to him.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12