RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012

Help me pick a wheelset, I know nothing about road bike wheels

Hi. I've mostly been a mtn biker over the years, but I have a road bike I ride to stay in shape and I really enjoy it. I want to upgrade my wheels. I think my setup is pretty decent except for the wheels, full Ultegra, Shimano WHR 550 wheels. I would like to upgrade but no nothing at all about road wheels. I just ride to stay in shape, but I would like to think I ride fairly hard. Would like to stay in the $400 price range. Somebody recommended the Ultegra wheels, which are around $400. I have no plans on going tubeless so I don't know if that is a great choice, I know I can run them with tubes. That's sort of the level I'm shooting for, nice solid wheel, but doesn't need to be the absolute lightest or best. Just a good combination of weight an durability. Thanks!

A wheelist
    This topic, not surprisingly, is probably the most common one here at Wheels. It probably gets done weekly and the archives will have a slew of info.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post
    This topic, not surprisingly, is probably the most common one here at Wheels. It probably gets done weekly and the archives will have a slew of info.
    If it's really that common of a topic they should have a sticky thread on it.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by ssc280 View Post
    If it's really that common of a topic they should have a sticky thread on it.
    I agree but RBR is allergic to suggestions for Stickies. I've made suggestions on two occasions about the info people should give us when they ask "What wheels should I buy?" as very rarely does a request contain such info. I even provided the info that we need. But I didn't even get the courtesy of a "thanks but no thanks" reply.

Sister site MTBR is much different; they have a plethora of stickies. Check 'em out on their Wheels-Tires page -

http://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires/
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    If you know nothing about road wheels, then how do you know the ones you have require an upgrade?

T K
    wasssabi
    I bought a Cannondale that came with the Shimano 550 wheels. Rode the sheit out of those wheels for quite a while with no problems. Even on fast group rides. Heck, pretty sure I was even able to drop a few people riding those wheels. Those wheels will not be holding you back.
    Don't listen to your friends or worry about what they say, they're probobly wrong most of the time anyway.
    Do a lot of reading here, there are some people here who really know wheels. Wheels are not gererally one size fits all.
    How much do you weigh? What kind of roads will you be riding? Racing? Training?
    Figure these things out first. Then you'll know what questions to ask.