RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009

High PSI tires. Need?

Hi. Raynolds Strike rims can handle up to 150 PSI and I weight 200+ pounds. I thought to setup high PSI wheels like Conti 700x20 or Vittoria Open Corsa, thing is, Reynolds work fine with 22+ profile so the Conti's wouldn't do it for safety reasons. The questions are: What other clichers would you recommend? and Is there any study out there that correlates rolling width with rider's weight?

kytyree
    I'd suggest wider tires maybe around 25c, but I wouldn't recommend anything close to 150psi. Maybe 120 tops for regular road riding and training, IMHO.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    +1 w/Kytyree.

Read this http://www.vintagebicyclepress.com/images/TireDrop.pdf

I weigh 200# and run 115psi in the back and 100-105 in the front with 23's. I will be switching to 25's when the 23's wear out.
    Last edited by Blue CheeseHead; 07-31-2009 at 08:24 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I weigh 195-200lbs and I am running 85psi front and 90psi rear in my Hutchinson tubeless road tires.

kytyree
    Ligero, if you were running similar sized conventional clinchers what pressure would you use? Just curious for the comparison as I've yet to run tubeless on the road bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Great article Blue, I thougt I was the only nerd looking for that kind of data. The question was also motivated by Conti's new set of front-23/rear-24mm profile. I also ride a tri-bike, where the weight is more evenly distributed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kytyree
    Ligero, if you were running similar sized conventional clinchers what pressure would you use? Just curious for the comparison as I've yet to run tubeless on the road bike.
    I run 100 in the front and 110 in the rear of my Michelin Pro Race 2's. I don't have the 3's yet and the only other clinchers I have are Vittoria Rubino Pro and those I ran at 100/105.

papa sboak
    Feb 2006
    240# on 23s currently, but prefer 25s

if I run less than 120 on either tire, I feel like I'm riding on flat tires

on 25s, I like 115, max

personal preference

never ridden anything wider than 25, maybe I should
    Ron Paul 2012

America needs change. Not more of the same.

Online Wheel Builder
    I weigh about what Ligero does and I also run 100-110 on my standard road clinchers.

Radical
    I agree with kytyree - at 200lbs, I'd run a 23 front, and a 25 rear. No loss of speed and lower pressure. The bike would be more comfortable and just as nimble. I don't weigh 200lbs, but I do run this combination with 100psi both front and rear. Much more comfortable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm certain that the posts above advise against high PSI. Not only could it be of discomfort, but with heavy riders (no offense), your bike will take the beating with the lack of any shock absorption.

The Vredestein Fortezza SE, which is typically on sale at Performance for about 27-30 dollars, are rated to handle 165PSI and supposedly ~140PSI is expected to be a regular thing for it's users. It's rather heavy of a tyre (262g), but the low 50TPI rating may suit you in the durability factor. I never used this tyre below 130PSI so I can't really say if it will work out for you, but I can't see how it wouldn't work.23c size as well. Bit of a pointless post, but just throwing it out there if you happen to be a person who likes the feedback of higher PSI.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002
    I bought a pair of Hutchinson Fusion tires (700x23C) and they are rated at 120. Being 205 lbs on a good day I needed something that would roll effortlessly and would still feel responsive enough for the local club rides. These tires seem to be performing very well and can highly recommend them for a nice performance oriented road bike (ie. responsive, great grip and roll with little effort). Another advantage is that they seem to have a taller profile which not only seems to offer a little more comfort but may have saved me from a few pinch flats.

By the way, I got mine a while back at Performance Bike for something like $25 a piece marked down...they seem to mark these down pretty routinely.

Dan

cmg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    just notice that the continental supersonics are rated at 145psi. I run them at 115-120, i'm afraid at higher pressure i'll suffer rim damage on my sprint 350s

Banned forever.....or not
    150 psi is fine for track usuage
    (some velodromes require tubies for track competition)

For road use, nobody needs to go over 125 (and that's only if you weigh 250)
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hppy4u
    I bought a pair of Hutchinson Fusion tires (700x23C) and they are rated at 120. Being 205 lbs on a good day I needed something that would roll effortlessly and would still feel responsive enough for the local club rides. These tires seem to be performing very well and can highly recommend them for a nice performance oriented road bike (ie. responsive, great grip and roll with little effort). Another advantage is that they seem to have a taller profile which not only seems to offer a little more comfort but may have saved me from a few pinch flats.

By the way, I got mine a while back at Performance Bike for something like $25 a piece marked down...they seem to mark these down pretty routinely.

Dan

GOT THOSE A WEEK AGO

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ligero
    I weigh 195-200lbs and I am running 85psi front and 90psi rear in my Hutchinson tubeless road tires.
    Ligero - I'm curious to know which rims you're running the Hutchinson tubeless on and how you would rate the performance.

Regards.