RoadBikeReview Member

How durable are Zipp FC CC 404's?

I know they are for designed for racing only but during an 80 mile training ride this past Saturday my rear wheel became slightly out of true. It wouldnt be a huge deal but I already had them true the weekend before? Should i be concerned about the durability of the wheel? Or am I just being a nervous nelly?

What are some of y'alls experience with 404's? Do you use them as an everyday wheel or just strictly on special events or races.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    303 FC's and rode a season on them. They are my everyday wheel and never have I had any problems. They are wonderful.

I'm 5'11 and 190lbs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Forgot to mention I'm 5'5 under 140lbs.

woz
    Madcow
    They should be plenty durable for a daily rider, especially at your size. You should be able to ride them for a long time without having to true them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Did you have someone true them the week before? If so I am going to say whoever trued them messed them up. I have been to 2 different LBS and neither of them did an acceptable job truing my wheels, they would twist bladed spokes. They just didn't put the time into it, they came out true but with twisted spokes. Their attention to detail was lacking. I have subsequently bought my own tools to true my wheels and build my own wheels.
    2012 Cervelo S5 Team
    2012 Felt Z6 (sold)

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    They should be plenty durable for a daily rider, especially at your size. You should be able to ride them for a long time without having to true them.
    as long as you don't hit sh*t. the worst wheel abuser i've ever built(and rebuilt) wheels for was a 100lb female racer. she killed EVERYTHING.

whether a wheel stays true or not, especially once it's been worked on is very dependent on the work that the mechanic did. if he/she didn't make sure the spoke tension stayed even around the wheel, it won't stay true/round. someone your size should not be having problems unless you're smacking into holes/rocks/small animals...like my 100lb friend.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

RoadBikeReview Member
    I ride through rough pave from time to time but avoid potholes to the full extent. So then what should I do? go to a different mechcanic or do it mysel since the wheel is essentially screwed up?

Thanks for your inputs

pmt
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    People race cyclocross on them all the time without damage, if that tells you anything.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    People race cross on the 303 tubular, and they have a cross specific build.