Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008

How hard is it to roll a tubular?

In followup to my other thread about tubulars, I did purchase a set of Zipp 303's which I glued with no issues.

I did notice that inflating the tires (for stretching purposes) on a new set of wheels with no glue seems pretty tight.

Do you really need to be hammering crits and rounding corners at 25mph to roll them off or would just a standard group ride of 18mph roll them off?

I read on another site that a pro rode a whole fondo before finding out that the front tire was not glued at all.

T K
    wasssabi
    You're worried about a tubular rolling off? Do you plan on glueing it on with this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How hard is it to roll a tubular?-24823292_29712082_trimmed.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    you have a set of zipp 303 tubulars, but are afraid they will roll off at 25mph in a crit?! Better be safe than sorry and give them to me, I got a set of clinchers that will hold up to 50 mph -twice as good and you won't have to hold everyone up in the corners while you keep it below 25.

RoadBikeReview Member
    If the tire is not glued properly you will roll it off sooner or later. If it's glued properly - no worries. The most often seen, by me, glue job issue was a not 'soaked' enough base tape of tubular tire.
    Tiremaniacs
    Continental - Schwalbe - Veloflex
    Racing and Training Cycling Tires

'brifter' is a lame word.
    how long is a piece of string?
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    What you are really asking is how hard is it to f up glueing a tubular. It's pretty easy for some and nearly impossible for people who know what they are doing and take care.

RoadBikeReview Member
    On the first set of tubulars I glued up, I used to worry all the time about rolling a tire. I read everything I could on gluing, then settled on the two layers of glue on the rim, one layer on the tire method. I always aired up 'em up, and let 'em sit before I rode on 'em.

Now, in the realm of all things cycling, I'm whats considered a Clydesdale, or in more common terms, I'm fat.

On my pre-work 20+ mile summer training route, there's a very high speed corner. You can take the corner very easily, at over 30 mph with out even trying. It's a left hander, bottom of a hill, with a drop slightly after the apex. In other words, it's a high "G" situation.

I've never rolled a tubular tire, and if I did, I would expect it too be in that corner. I also used to road race motorcycles, and figure I'm putting some serious lateral forces on my tires.

So, glue 'em up right, and they'll probably never come off. Do it wrong, and you're probably coming off!!

Big is relative
    Usually rolling a tubular involves a poor gluing job, old glue job, old tire where the base tape peeled away, low pressure (slow leak), or a hot rim on a long descent. Most of those factors can be controlled by the rider. You also don't see a lot of flats on a criterium course, so take care of the wheels and tires and you're likely to never roll a tubular.

I've seen tubulars roll, a guy in a crit rolled his front tire coming out of a corner and it wedged in his fork and slammed him face first into the pavement.
    Retired sailor

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    The only tubular I've seen roll off was by one of my team mates In a cross race. He glued it 20 minutes before the race and had to run the last 500m because it totally came off.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    I'm asking how hard it is to roll the tire with no glue on the rim at all, because when I inflate it for stretching purposes, it seems stuck on pretty good.

Asking if there is a threshold, like 17mph around a corner...

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Quote Originally Posted by mlin View Post
    I'm asking,

Asking for a trip to the ER. Try it. Your dentist will thank you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    I'm asking how hard it is to roll the tire with no glue on the rim at all, because when I inflate it for stretching purposes, it seems stuck on pretty good.

Why do you think we would know? Why are you asking such a stupid question? Are you actually thinking you might try and NOT glue the tires on? If so, you're not very smart.

Quote Originally Posted by kevhogaz View Post
    On the first set of tubulars I glued up, I used to worry all the time about rolling a tire. I read everything I could on gluing, then settled on the two layers of glue on the rim, one layer on the tire method. I always aired up 'em up, and let 'em sit before I rode on 'em.

Now, in the realm of all things cycling, I'm whats considered a Clydesdale, or in more common terms, I'm fat.

On my pre-work 20+ mile summer training route, there's a very high speed corner. You can take the corner very easily, at over 30 mph with out even trying. It's a left hander, bottom of a hill, with a drop slightly after the apex. In other words, it's a high "G" situation.

I've never rolled a tubular tire, and if I did, I would expect it too be in that corner. I also used to road race motorcycles, and figure I'm putting some serious lateral forces on my tires.

So, glue 'em up right, and they'll probably never come off. Do it wrong, and you're probably coming off!!
    unsolicited opinion: i've glued over 1000 tires over the last 20 years and i think 1 coat on the tire is not enough. especially if you have un-coated base tape. 2 coats minimum.
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9

T K
    wasssabi
    I'm asking how hard it is to roll the tire with no glue on the rim at all.

How many times can you hit yourself in the head with a hammer until you die? Don't know? And nobody knows the answer to your your question either, because nobody is dumb enough to have tried it.
    And why do you need this information anyway?

***caution*** posts like this will create irreparable damage to your reputation
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9

RoadBikeReview Member

I recently purchased a set of HED stinger 6's and was struck by how deep and wide the tire bed is in comparison to standard tubulars I've had in the past. The entire base tape of a 23mm tire is swallowed up by the tire bed. I'd bet it wouldn't roll even without tape since there's so much surface area contact between rim and tire (not that I'd try it). Would be a nice wheel for cross. Haven't seen the newer 303.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    Yeah I've tried a set and they're amazing. I'd still probably go with 303s for cross because of how feathery they are.

RoadBikeReview Member

Certainly not something to try experimentally without lots of protective gear, but as an academic question, you'd need to know the radius of the corner as well as the speed, as it's the centripetal acceleration that is operative ( = (V^2)/R ).

In my experience, the large majority of typical road cyclists don't lean as much as they could when cornering and so don't go through corners as fast as possible. These guys would be much less likely to roll a tire compared to a pro who's a good descender.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    I went to clinchers in the year 2000, but I never rolled a single tubular in 28 years of riding tubulars before that. I didn't perform any black magic in mounting or gluing the tires, either. I just followed the instructions on the tube of glue. The only times I came even close to having a loose tire was when, because a particular tire was so reliable, I rode them for so long, the tiremaker's glue between the base layer and the tire carcass would dry out. And yes, we called them sew-ups back then.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Its odd how there is no info on this. I mean, mavic performs tests to prove that one red spoke in a wheel leads to less resistance.

Maybe need to contact mythbusters

Its odd how there is no info on this. I mean, mavic performs tests to prove that one red spoke in a wheel leads to less resistance.

Maybe need to contact mythbusters
    seriously...you think it's odd that no testing has been done to determine how fast you can go around a corner w/ an unglued tubular? please tell me you're just messing around w/ this.

please.
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    unsolicited opinion: i've glued over 1000 tires over the last 20 years and i think 1 coat on the tire is not enough. especially if you have un-coated base tape. 2 coats minimum.
    Opinion appreciated!! I've only glued around 10 sets, so I welcome any advice I can get. I will now modify my gluing routine, to a 2/2 method!!

RoadBikeReview Member

If you live near me, come over and we'll find out. I'll supply the bike, the tire, and the rim. You bring your insurance card, a release form, and how I notify your next of kin, you've been in a serious accident!

T K
    wasssabi
    @ kevhogaz 3 coats on rim. 2 on tire.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    An even more interesting question is how fast you can descend with the stem bolts loose + no ahead cap+ unglued sew ups + wood rims + cork pads + aluminum brake mounting bolts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast