Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012

How long till you replace OE tires?

So I have Vittoria Zaffiros stock on my new Jamis Xenith, looked them up, they are like 15 bucks.... question is, do I actually go out and ride for a while, or simply change them right away?

Thank you
    1973 Mercier
    1977 Peugeot U08.
    2010 Jamis Coda
    2011 jamis Xenith Endura

'brifter' is a lame word.
    really? ride 'em or replace 'em...only you can make that decision. obviously there are better tires available, but do you actually NEED them? only you know the answer to that.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

I ride in circles..
    You're not a real cyclist unless you spend money needlessly.....

Honestly.. ride them until you no longer feel safe on them because you've worn them out with a bazillion miles. Tires can last anywhere from 1 mile to over 5000.. depends on your roads.. what you hit.. and luck.
    ~ Long Live Long Rides~

Teo
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoSoSwiM View Post
    You're not a real cyclist unless you spend money needlessly.....

I havenít heard a more true statement.

As for the tires, replace them if you they are worn out or if you feel your performance would increase with a different set.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    when the threads show

LC
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    I would get a better front tire for more grip because front tire slides really don't end well. Use both of those cheap tires on the rear till they wear out, and then that better front tire will still have plenty of life left. Cheaper tires with harder rubber like the Zaffiros actually make for decient rear tires since they can take the wear better.

The front tire is also more important for feel which usually means you want a high thread count along with softer rubber for the best grip. The rear gets muted through your saddle and padded shorts so it does not make as much of a difference.

RoadBikeReview Member
    How long till you replace OE tires ?
    Last week, while replacing a neighbor's 17 year old tires, they asked:
    ... Do you think it needs new tubes too ?
    ........ Priceless .

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winters View Post
    How long till you replace OE tires ?
    Last week, while replacing a neighbor's 17 year old tires, they asked:
    ... Do you think it needs new tubes too ?
    ........ Priceless .
    No kidding. I have had people come in for tires and gripe about a tube. I dont get it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Careful now

Quote Originally Posted by Teo View Post
    As for the tires, replace them if you they are worn out or if you feel your performance would increase with a different set.
    The problem with this statement is that "feeling" you get when marketing interferes with logical thinking. This forum is a constant testament to the willingness of people to buy the hype. More than once we've had someone claim (vociferously) that their new tires gave them over 1 mph of speed. Of course this claim is beyond ridiculous but hope springs eternal.

If you're a bike rider you wear out tires or experience tire failure. That is the time to buy new ones. The fact that the OP is asking this question is the very definition that they are not (yet at least) a high performance rider. Buying new tires for someone like the OP in hopes of "performance improvement" is a waste of rubber.

Pitts Pilot
    Dec 2011
    I rode my original tires home and then changed them that night. I guess about 4-5 kilometers. I disagree with the statement that there is no performance difference. I don't think any tire will make me any faster, but there is definitely a slight difference in comfort/feel/ride quality and, more importantly, grip. I ride a lot of VERY steep, wet roads. Some tires slip, as they don't have the same in-line traction as my favorites. More important than any of this, however, is how they look - of course. (And the obvious fact that you'd probably be happier on 25's than the stock 23's) How's that for stirring the pot?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    If you want, get some new tires. If you ride a lot, you'll eventually ruin an almost new tire and be pissed. At that point, you'll have a couple of almost new tires at home to replace the tire that met an untimely death. I sometimes use cheaper tires for winter riding, because there is usually more crap on the road to cut up tires, so you could save your oe tires for that. There is no right answer to your question, but it's good t keep a few tires laying around, just in case.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    It was just a simple question, mainly because I noticed the tires on the bike where selling for 15 bucks, thats all. Thanks for the answers.
    1973 Mercier
    1977 Peugeot U08.
    2010 Jamis Coda
    2011 jamis Xenith Endura

banned
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixjours View Post
    It was just a simple question, mainly because I noticed the tires on the bike where selling for 15 bucks, thats all. Thanks for the answers.
    I got a couple of serfas secas from Jenson for $9.99, no kidding. At that price I'd ride them for as long as I could get them....

banned
    Mar 2011
    I use zaffiro tires by vittoria for my training tire.

They are 10 bucks a piece on sale, durable, and close to 300g in 23c. That's a sweet deal.

Race tires are for races.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    after a couple of punctures....

I got tires with better puncture protection...
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clydeone View Post
    when the threads show
    This. I ride my Vittoria Open Paves either down to the threads or more likely, when they suffer damage that to me looks unsafe.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I figure they are free...so I ride till they wear out (1500 - 2000 miles for the rear stock Madone tire, with about twice the amount for the front).

Then it's Conti GP4000s - till I find something that rides better for me and my bikes (riding style and location/roads).

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    Unless I have a problem with a road tire, like a stock tire that has no flat protection, I just ride them until they wear out. If I'm actually buying a tire, I like GP4000s. Although my commuter gets cadged tires my friends are too good to ride relatively frequently...

My mountain bike is another story.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    I went out and bought expensive Conti GP 4 Seasons right away and just stashed the elcheapos for backup. I wanted 25 instead of 23, and also to feel confident in tight curves in the damp. I also wanted some extra puncture protection without a lot of weight. I was willing to pay some to maximize my riding pleasure instead of scrimping.

And I was going to pull the tires to check the rim tape anyway because I never trust what the folks in China do in that department. So once I went to that effort I figured I might as well replace the tires

breathe in,out; repeat
    Jun 2011
    I say, the cheaper the better. I went through 3 tires withn a few months: oem zaffiro pro-cut along center line, michelin pro race 3-2 inch long screw, and a 2nd michelin pro race 3 (forget exactly the damage). These were all on the rear. The front is still the OEM Zaffiro Pro. After quickly going through the two michelins, I decided cheaper was better. Bought 2 more zaffiros. Haven't flatted since.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    The OEM kenda that came on my giant was awful. constant flats, awful feel, overall just a terrible tire.

replaced them after a couple hundred miles and never looked back.

though my current rubber stockpile is getting to be kind of ridiculous.

Re-Cyclist
    Do I really have to answer your question??
    Santa Barbara, CA -- My Photo Site -- My Business Site

Banned forever.....or not
    I have my Butler Jeeves replace my tires (and wheels) after every ride.....(you can never be too safe)
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

Hi
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    I have my Butler Jeeves replace my tires (and wheels) after every ride.....(you can never be too safe)
    Not the frame? It might have cracked....just throw the whole thing away and get a new one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    My bike came also with same zaffiro slick tires and I put about 400 miles on them . But I got glass cut in front. I removed the glass piece out but the cut seams deep. I had no flats during my rides with these tires. I can not compare them to other brand yet but what I notice is that they seamed slippery on wet roads to me especially at the corners. So since I got the cut in front tire and i realy do not want to take chances and after reading the posts and researching I concluded to replace both of them with higher quality tires, most Likely I 'll go with conti gatorskin or 4000s and see the deference. As for OP's question ride them for few hundred miles and definitely replace them for better tire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast