RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

How R the Tufo Tubular Clinchers?

How are those Tufo tubular clinchers? How do you fix a flat? Just carry an extra?

They're about $80 per tire.

Thanks

Censored by *********
    $80 each!!!! You could buy 2 Conti Sprinters for that price.

However, you'd be wise to carry a spare even if you put Tufo's sealant in all your tires.

Several people on these boards have used them. Some liked them, others didn't. I suppose if you don't want to commit to full out tubulars, these would be worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfereeno
    How are those Tufo tubular clinchers? How do you fix a flat? Just carry an extra?

Thanks
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the most responsive to change.

Charles Darwin

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by purplepaul
    $80 each!!!! You could buy 2 Conti Sprinters for that price.

However, you'd be wise to carry a spare even if you put Tufo's sealant in all your tires.

Several people on these boards have used them. Some liked them, others didn't. I suppose if you don't want to commit to full out tubulars, these would be worth a try.
    I used the high TPI Elites. I thought they were great. Long wearing tire. Usually about $55 each.

The lesser Tufo clinchers don't really appeal to me as they are narrower (21mm) and have half the TPI count at best.

Spend the money on the Elites or ride regular clinchers instead.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiftythree-eleven
    I used the high TPI Elites. I thought they were great. Long wearing tire. Usually about $55 each.

The lesser Tufo clinchers don't really appeal to me as they are narrower (21mm) and have half the TPI count at best.

Spend the money on the Elites or ride regular clinchers instead.
    check the archives, we've discussed this quite a few times. Here's a summary. Some people hate them, some really like them. I'm of the latter. No, they are not smooth riding like Corsas, but they do ride nice.

I agree with the above poster, if you do get the Tufos, spring for the Elite. glory cycles has them for less than anyone. Don't over-inflate them. the pressure range is 115-220!, but I think 130 is the highest I ever go. Above 150psi then don't handle well, but really above 130 unless the road is silk, you are actually increasing rolling resistance.

As a final note, you'll see the Tufos get bad-mouthed, but in some of those cases the poster did not mention which tire they had. I wouldn't get the low-end, and quite frankly, I don't understand why they make the lower-end. Just like regular Tubbies, avoid all but the high-end stuff.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by euro-trash
    check the archives, we've discussed this quite a few times. Here's a summary. Some people hate them, some really like them. I'm of the latter. No, they are not smooth riding like Corsas, but they do ride nice.

I agree with the above poster, if you do get the Tufos, spring for the Elite. glory cycles has them for less than anyone. Don't over-inflate them. the pressure range is 115-220!, but I think 130 is the highest I ever go. Above 150psi then don't handle well, but really above 130 unless the road is silk, you are actually increasing rolling resistance.

As a final note, you'll see the Tufos get bad-mouthed, but in some of those cases the poster did not mention which tire they had. I wouldn't get the low-end, and quite frankly, I don't understand why they make the lower-end. Just like regular Tubbies, avoid all but the high-end stuff.
    I never tried the low end Tufos, but why would I want to ride a 21mm tire with only 60 TPI....just sounds like a crap ride if you ask me. Elite is the way to go (wider and much much higher TPI)

RoadBikeReview Member

Thanks

Just bought a pair of S33 Specials (305 TPI 175psi) for $80 a pair from www.biketiresdirect.com I have been using S33s exclusively for two years now.
    Only one flat that the sealant held it together to get me home.
    I get 3-4K mile from each tire.
    2004 Langster Pro
    2004 LeMond Victorie

Nasty, brutish, and tall.

Thanks
    First off, $80 a piece is a joke. I paid $30 per for mine. Granted, I bought the cheap ones just to try them out. Still, even the really expensive ones aren't more than $50 per.

Otherwise, they're grrrreat. I can see why some like them, some don't - difficult to install if you're bad at following directions, a flat could be a real p-i-t-a, and heavy. In a thousand miles, mine have been flat proof, and seem only to have gone through about two-thirds of their useful life. I will definately buy another set, this time the expensive ones.

That said, I ride on roads that are relatively glass-free and smooth, and ride pretty lightly. Whatever the case, they're pinch-flat-proof. I use sealant front and rear, but haven't had any punctures (that I know of).
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jgsjr
    Just bought a pair of S33 Specials (305 TPI 175psi) for $80 a pair from www.biketiresdirect.com I have been using S33s exclusively for two years now.
    Only one flat that the sealant held it together to get me home.
    I get 3-4K mile from each tire.
    http://www.biketiresdirect.com/produ...il.asp?p=TUCSS (these are 120 TPI.)

If you like these I think you'd find the wider and higher TPI Elites to ride better.