RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009

huh, never had this happen before...

I'm riding home tonight, about 20 miles showing, and as I get to the bottom of a nice decent, my back tire starts to feel squishy and loose.

oh no, I've got a flat. But, I pull over, and the tire isn't flat. But, it sure feels like it's lost a lot of air, very suddenly.

I check things out, no obvious signs of damage or puncture, so I get back on a ride a half mile. Nope. It doesn't feel right.

I pull over, and put my small pump on the tire, it's down around 50psi. when I left the house, it had 90 psi. So, I pump it back up to about 70 psi and finish the ride home.

How the heck did that tire just lose about 40psi in a matter of seconds without going flat?

I pumped it back up to 90 psi when I got home. I'll check the pressure tomorrow morning. But, I think it's time for a new tube. The tire likely has 2000 miles, maybe 2300 miles. Maybe I'll just replace everything before the next ride.

As the sun was setting on my way home, I'm glad I didn't have to change the tube on the road. But, this was very strange indeed.
    To those in uniform, both present and past, who have protected my freedoms, I thank you. I've had a good life so far.

I love to climb!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug B View Post

How the heck did that tire just lose about 40psi in a matter of seconds without going flat?
    I bet there's something stuck in your tire. It shifted a little, thereby closing out filling the hole, thereby making it a slow leak instead of the fast leak it was at first. Another shift, and it will be a fast leak again. Take the tube out and see if it doesn't quickly deflate.
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

grizzly moderator
    There is usually no magic with tubes or tires but if it happens again go see a priest.
    With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important.

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by dcgriz View Post
    There is usually no magic with tubes or tires but if it happens again go see a priest.
    Nah... the priest comes when your tube suddenly gains 40 psi...
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - MLK

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwiffle View Post
    I bet there's something stuck in your tire. It shifted a little, thereby closing out filling the hole, thereby making it a slow leak instead of the fast leak it was at first. Another shift, and it will be a fast leak again. Take the tube out and see if it doesn't quickly deflate.
    That's my guess as well. Haven't had time to check it out yet. Ironically, the wife got an instant flat tire on her car this morning. Huge nail hole in the tire. But no nail found. She was on the highway, driving behind me when it happened.

I spent nearly three hours today taking care of that situation.
    To those in uniform, both present and past, who have protected my freedoms, I thank you. I've had a good life so far.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    The premise of this being mystery is that you seem to assume it had stopped leaking at 40 psi when you stopped. Maybe it would but I doubt it. And it would figure that a small leak would bleed faster with more psi and slow as pressure goes down.
    Last edited by Jay Strongbow; 05-10-2017 at 06:06 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2014
    Check the tube and locate the leak by pumping it up and locate the leak. Use a piece of chalk to mark the tube and the location on the tire. Next remove the tire and check it in a well lit space. It helps if you mounted your tire with the logo aligned with the spoke hole in the rim for a reference point. Look very carefully in the area where the leak at both inside and out. Also check the rim for any burs or if the rim tape is moved or broken over a spoke hole. I once had a very very thin piece of wire just barely poking through the casing give me a slow leak. I didn't notice it until I removed the tire and closely inspected it.

Had another where the spoke hole rubbed the tube just enough to cause a slow leak as well. Had to file the spoke hole down and then added another layer rim tape over folded the cut edges in for extra protection. Now I make sure to file down any burs on all my rims.

EDIT: I meant to say valve stem hole not spoke hole. I've had the valve stem hole rub the a very small hole and slow leak at the point where the base of the stem meets the rim. I've seen this occur twice now.
    Last edited by tinball; 05-10-2017 at 12:40 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    you better get a disk brake bike to resolve this
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.