RoadBikeReview Member

Hunt Aero Light Disc Road or Prowheelbuilder AC build

I just picked up a new road bike that uses disc brakes and the stock wheelset is around (probably over 2000g).

I was looking around at different wheels - and I'm narrowing down to these two:

Hunt Aero Light -

https://www.huntbikewheels.com/produ...ant=7931401859

24 spokes front/rear, 1449g and would cost about $620 shipped to me.

My other choice was a custom set from prowheelbuilder.com with American classic rims and hubs and sapim laser spokes, at 32 spokes front/rear, weight about 1420g and would cost $760 shipped to me.

Looking for some input - the hunt wheels are a bit of an unknown here but seem to have a pretty solid rep in the UK and they're about $140 less. The AC build is lighter but I'm not sure if the AC hub issues from 5-10 year ago have been resolved.
    Swim away fugu fish, swim away!

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie the Unicorn View Post
    I just picked up a new road bike that uses disc brakes and the stock wheelset is around (probably over 2000g).

I was looking around at different wheels - and I'm narrowing down to these two:

Hunt Aero Light -

https://www.huntbikewheels.com/produ...ant=7931401859

24 spokes front/rear, 1449g and would cost about $620 shipped to me.

My other choice was a custom set from prowheelbuilder.com with American classic rims and hubs and sapim laser spokes, at 32 spokes front/rear, weight about 1420g and would cost $760 shipped to me.

Looking for some input - the hunt wheels are a bit of an unknown here but seem to have a pretty solid rep in the UK and they're about $140 less. The AC build is lighter but I'm not sure if the AC hub issues from 5-10 year ago have been resolved.

You weighed the wheels? Did you completely strip them of everything before weighing them? Manufacturers weights don't include ~250gram of cassette, 5 gram for cassette lockring, ~50 grams of rim tape, whatever your rotors or your lockrings-for-rotors or your QR/thru-axle. And of course 250 gram or so per tire and tube, let's say. Strap all that stuff onto a 1400gram wheelset-and it too would weigh over 2KG.

Prowheelbuilder can do some nice builds...the one thing the Am Classic hubs have going for them is that they are light...but IMHO that is it.
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    You weighed the wheels? Did you completely strip them of everything before weighing them? Manufacturers weights don't include ~250gram of cassette, 5 gram for cassette lockring, ~50 grams of rim tape, whatever your rotors or your lockrings-for-rotors or your QR/thru-axle. And of course 250 gram or so per tire and tube, let's say. Strap all that stuff onto a 1400gram wheelset-and it too would weigh over 2KG.

Prowheelbuilder can do some nice builds...the one thing the Am Classic hubs have going for them is that they are light...but IMHO that is it.
    I'm going to ignore the part about all the extra stuff. I've been building up my own bikes for years now - the stock wheels are pigs - all by themselves without accounting for everything else.

AC hubs are light and that's it. This is of absolutely no help.
    Last edited by Charlie the Unicorn; 1 Week Ago at 09:44 AM.
    Swim away fugu fish, swim away!