RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009

Hutchinson Atom Tubeless Durability Issues?

Anyone having durability issues with the Hutchinson Atom Tubeless tire? I had a sidewall cut in a race last weekend in which I was in a good position near the end - thus ruining my race. The small cut was apparently too big for Stanís to do its thing. It was a part gravel race so maybe I was pushing it by riding that tire in those conditions.

I like the tire and find it very fast for tubeless so just want to check on other experiences with it.

Thanks.

pmt
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    The Atom is really only for the most perfect, clean pavement or even the track. You should be using Fusion3 or Intensive, certainly Intensive for anything with gravel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pmt View Post
    The Atom is really only for the most perfect, clean pavement or even the track. You should be using Fusion3 or Intensive, certainly Intensive for anything with gravel.
    Yep, my mistake. I have both of those other tires but decided to go with the faster Atom for the race.

classiquesklassieker
    Quote Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
    Anyone having durability issues with the Hutchinson Atom Tubeless tire? I had a sidewall cut in a race last weekend in which I was in a good position near the end - thus ruining my race. The small cut was apparently too big for Stanís to do its thing. It was a part gravel race so maybe I was pushing it by riding that tire in those conditions.

I like the tire and find it very fast for tubeless so just want to check on other experiences with it.

Thanks.
    I have about 1k miles on my Atom and it's been fine. I haven't noticed worse wear nor more punctures compared to my Fusion 3.

With my Fusion 3 what I found was that it was perfect for the first 2.5k miles, no punctures, great feel, etc. After 3k miles, it started to puncture every other week, on the same roads, and no amount of Fas'Air nor Stan's could help it. Could this be the reason why your tire didn't seal?

When I used the Fusion 3 I used Fas'Air, which I had to clean and re-apply every 6 months or so. Towards the end I switched to Stan's. This time around with the Atom I am using the Protect'Max sealant, which is guaranteed to 2 years of use. So far so good, but we'll see how it goes when I hit the 2.5k miles mark.

Too bad about your race, sorry to hear.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by orange_julius View Post
    With my Fusion 3 what I found was that it was perfect for the first 2.5k miles, no punctures, great feel, etc. After 3k miles, it started to puncture every other week, on the same roads, and no amount of Fas'Air nor Stan's could help it. Could this be the reason why your tire didn't seal?
    Same experience here with most of these tubeless road tires. After a while they seem to get worn down to the extent that slow leaks develop.

One thing I've found so far after 4 years of tubeless is with the two flats I've had Stans did not stop the leak. I'm thinking that the high PSI of road is too much for Stans in all but the smallest pin hole puncture. Iím using about 1oz of Stans per tire.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004
    how many miles does an Atom last on rear?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
    Same experience here with most of these tubeless road tires. After a while they seem to get worn down to the extent that slow leaks develop.

One thing I've found so far after 4 years of tubeless is with the two flats I've had Stans did not stop the leak. I'm thinking that the high PSI of road is too much for Stans in all but the smallest pin hole puncture. Iím using about 1oz of Stans per tire.
    So far, I have only had one puncture with a Fusion 3 tubeless tire, and Stan's stopped the leak. I used 2oz of sealant in the tire. I was actually surprised when I saw the cut on the side of the tread after a ride. It looked like something I wouldn't expect the sealant to handle since it is more than a minor puncture, but the tire is still holding air.
    Valley Cyclist Wheels www.valleycyclist.com

microdosed sarcasm
    Jul 2010
    I race on fusion 3s.

I talked to guys at the Hutchinson tent when I was at Sea Otter. One guy said he gets the tires for free and races on Fusion 3s.

The "only difference" between the fusion 3s and the atoms is that the former have more tread. So if I'm going to wear down my fusion3s by riding on them and they'll eventually get to the starting point of the atoms. So why start with the atoms?

classiquesklassieker
    Quote Originally Posted by Local Hero View Post
    I race on fusion 3s.

I talked to guys at the Hutchinson tent when I was at Sea Otter. One guy said he gets the tires for free and races on Fusion 3s.

The "only difference" between the fusion 3s and the atoms is that the former have more tread. So if I'm going to wear down my fusion3s by riding on them and they'll eventually get to the starting point of the atoms. So why start with the atoms?
    Brilliant tip!! (assuming the guy wasn't BS-ing...)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    The Atoms & Fusion 3 have a much different profile/size. Depending on rim type the Atoms can measure anything from 20mm to 22.9mm in my tests. Where the Fusion 3 Tubeless will be 22 - 23.9mm on the same set of rims. Plus the height of the tire is different between them. The Atom being shorter in height.
    I use the Atoms as a light race tire, the Fusion 3 as a all around race tire / light race training tire and the Intensives as a beater tire...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    I've had different durability problems with Hutchinsons, but the problem is particularly pertinent regarding the topic of durability. I've used Hutchinson Long Distance tires (yeah right) and had problems with cracking all over the sidewall and the outer tread layer seeming to separate from the carcass. Or at least there was a groove starting to form between the outer tread layer and the carcass, all the way around the tire, besides the microcracks on the sidewall. I did not store the bike in the sun nor did I have a lot of miles on the tires. I was concerned about safety and I contacted Hutchinson around 5-10 times by e-mail and they refused to reply or acknowledge the issue, probably due to liability issues. But the fact they ignored the problem turned me off and I avoid their tires whenever I can. Even if I go tubeless, I will try to avoid them. This is no way to conduct customer service.