Sucker for carbon

Hutchinson Atom tubeless OR Schwalbe Ultremo R???

Alright, so I'm in the market for new tires. I had my heart set on the Schwalbe Ultremo R for quite awhile, but recently I've been considering going tubeless with the Hutchinson Atoms.

The claimed weight of the Schwalbes is 180g, but without tubes, the Hutchinsons will be close to that (within about 20g I think). Plus theres the whole no pinch flat thing.

Any thoughts, opinions? How has tubeless been for people? I have new ksyrium elites so it would be relatively easy...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002
    Take the atom because I love the way tubeless ride.

Sucker for carbon
    Thanks a lot for your input! I ended up going with the atoms. Should be pretty awesome.

Did you use a stan's no tubes kit for your tubeless? My LBS said mountain UST stems would work for my wheels, I hope they will work okay.

RoadBikeReview Member
    i run the atoms on my dura ace wheels (tubeless, so no stans). they are a great tire. better than the fusion 2. grip well and have been holding well. did end up flatting on on some glass, but any tire would have flatted with that glass. enjoy the atoms

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    I went tubeless about a month ago on a set of Fulcrum Racing Ones and the Fusion 3s with Stans. I can't say enough about the ride improvement, it is fantastic. Been on some rough and trashy roads and no flats to date. I picked up a set of Atoms on ebay cheap and will mount them to check out the difference from the Fusions.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    If anyone can put their new Atom Tubeless tires on a scale, I would appreciate the feedback on the weight of this model.

Thanks,

Sucker for carbon
    Quote Originally Posted by natedg200202
    If anyone can put their new Atom Tubeless tires on a scale, I would appreciate the feedback on the weight of this model.

Thanks,

I weighed mine - came in at 283 grams, which is 2 g lighter than claimed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    I noticed a shard of metal in my Fusion 2 tubeless when cleaning my bike this week. I pulled it out and hear psssssst. It was a staple ...10 seconds of bubbles and it stopped. Pumped the tire up to 100 psi overnight and rode for 5 hrs the next day....... Stan;s Sealant, the stuff just works!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    can anyone tell me how the atom's corner in the wet, someone has told me that they do not have good grip in wet conditions ?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by swaman
    can anyone tell me how the atom's corner in the wet, someone has told me that they do not have good grip in wet conditions ?
    The Atoms don't grip as well in the wet as the Fusions, however the Atoms have better cut resistance and are more durable. Also the Fusion's have kind of a "wide body" profile while the Atoms are more "pointy" like a Conti GP4000.