RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004

Inexpensive 27.5/650b ROAD disc wheelset?

Just wondering if anyone happens to know where I can get a 27.5/650B Road Disc wheelset....

I'm willing to overlook weight (this will be for a commuter bike) but the wheels need to be 11spd road compatible...which I'm finding is difficult to find in inexpensive house-brand wheelsets at the online retailers.

Anybody have any leads that I should know about??

Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    What he said. There's also some good deals on older narrow 27.5 wheelsets with online retailers these days. I've been looking as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks, but the problem still persists....there are lots of 650b MTB wheelsets on ebay but next to none that will take an 11spd road cassette unfortunately!

Adorable Furry Hombre
    These rims:

https://www.bikehubstore.com/XD230-p/xd230.htm

Bitex hubs or Ultegras or however fancy you want to get. Your flavor of spokes.
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    "Inexpensive" and "HED Rims" don't normally coexist, but if you want to run higher-ish road tire pressures, they're the best choice on the market. You're +/- $300 by the time you've bought the rims, but you can get a good set of hubs for +/- $175, and then spokes of whatever flavor you want and you're not much over $500 if you build them yourself.

Pacenti Brevet is more of a retro rim that can work well and is 2/3 the price of the HED rims.

650b for road isn't a very well populated product category. It will probably get crowded in short order, but for now those are the two best rim options I know of.

grizzly moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by November Dave View Post
    "Inexpensive" and "HED Rims" don't normally coexist, but if you want to run higher-ish road tire pressures, they're the best choice on the market. You're +/- $300 by the time you've bought the rims, but you can get a good set of hubs for +/- $175, and then spokes of whatever flavor you want and you're not much over $500 if you build them yourself.

Pacenti Brevet is more of a retro rim that can work well and is 2/3 the price of the HED rims.

650b for road isn't a very well populated product category. It will probably get crowded in short order, but for now those are the two best rim options I know of.
    Add to the list Grand Bois and VO Diagonale which look similar to the Brevets but weigh more, cost less and are not tubeless ready..
    With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dcgriz View Post
    Add to the list Grand Bois and VO Diagonale which look similar to the Brevets but weigh more, cost less and are not tubeless ready..
    I've been happy with my Grand Boise.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dcgriz View Post
    See how quickly the market gets crowded?!?!?!? (just kidding - good suggestions!)