RoadBikeReview Member

Question Ksyerium SL - nipples frozen solid - how to relieve

OK, I have a set of Mavic Ksyerium SLs that are about 8-9 years old. Purchased brand new by me, ridden only by me. Somewhere along the way every single nipple has become "welded" to the rim. I am trying to just free them up in case the wheel needs service some day. They are still rideable. The local shop has tried freeing them up but has politely given up on them stating, "You've gotten your money's worth..." Probably true, but...

Here's what I've done so far. Dismounted the tire and tube. Starting with just four nipples I sprayed some Cyclo Heavy Duty Break Away penetrating oil on each, pointing the straw right on the nipple. Waited an hour, came back and hit them again. I continued this regimen for about 5 days. Then, having purchased the metal spoke adjustment tool and spoke holder, I went after them. Won't budge. I continued saturating them periodically, let them sit and went again to the tools. No budge. Then I went to induce a mild spoke shock to try and break the weld. I bought a small rubber mallet and "pinged" each spoke, gently but firmly. No budge. Soaking and pinging for the last day or so. No help.

Does anyone have a method they use to free the nipples so that they will turn. Then of course, you wonder why this happened in the first place...

H
    Last edited by Hoibb; 04-07-2012 at 05:01 AM. Reason: speling eror

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    The best penetrating stuff I've found is PB Blaster.
    But it won't work miracles.
    Those spokes have not moved in many years....and been subject to salt ( from sweat) and water ( which contains hard minerals)
    Add in a design I don't like...
    and you now have a 1 piece wheel.
    I had a set where the nipples froze up in 1 season....and that was just one of many problems I had with them. Then...there's folks like you who have had no problems.
    If you got that many years out of them....be happy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thank you for your comments and suggestions. I'll look around for PBB. So, let me follow up and ask, to prevent this from happening in the future, what's the remedy? Move them back and forth a tiny bit each season/each ride???

H

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Same exact thing happened to me on 8 year old SLs. Broke a spoke. LBS got new spoke on in three days. Went to true the wheel and they wouldn't budge. Got the same input that they had a good life. Not what i wanted to hear for sure. they said the aluminum on aluminum was corroding the nipples and that they were literally going to strip themselves.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoibb View Post
    OK, I have a set of Mavic Ksyerium SLs that are about 8-9 years old. Purchased brand new by me, ridden only by me. Somewhere along the way every single nipple has become "welded" to the rim. I am trying to just free them up in case the wheel needs service some day. They are still rideable. The local shop has tried freeing them up but has politely given up on them stating, "You've gotten your money's worth..." Probably true, but...

Here's what I've done so far. Dismounted the tire and tube. Starting with just four nipples I sprayed some Cyclo Heavy Duty Break Away penetrating oil on each, pointing the straw right on the nipple. Waited an hour, came back and hit them again. I continued this regimen for about 5 days. Then, having purchased the metal spoke adjustment tool and spoke holder, I went after them. Won't budge. I continued saturating them periodically, let them sit and went again to the tools. No budge. Then I went to induce a mild spoke shock to try and break the weld. I bought a small rubber mallet and "pinged" each spoke, gently but firmly. No budge. Soaking and pinging for the last day or so. No help.

Does anyone have a method they use to free the nipples so that they will turn. Then of course, you wonder why this happened in the first place...

H
    Sounds to me like like you might need some new nipples. Wheel builders use spoke prep which is supposed to prevent this. How are you attempting to turn the spokes and are you turning them correctly. Try from the rim holes instead of spoke wrench.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Grease

So, let me follow up and ask, to prevent this from happening in the future, what's the remedy? Move them back and forth a tiny bit each season/each ride???
    Properly built wheels use some sort of lube or spoke prep on the threads. Lots of opinions but I've been using grease for decades without issue. Of course this is one more problem with factory wheels - you can't grease the threads when they're built - so maybe your suggestion of the total PIA procedure of tweaking every spoke once in a while is your only (and lousy) option.

RoadBikeReview Member

Exclamation

I guess I'm sort of stuck with what I got. I'll keep trying to apply pene oil and see what I get. You all of course know that you can't get to the connection from the tube side on these. It's completely encased on the tube side of the rim. If I have this much trouble with just four, I'll see you all in the next life ...

H
    Last edited by Hoibb; 04-08-2012 at 03:09 AM. Reason: Change wording

RoadBikeReview Member
    I guess I'm sort of stuck with what I got. I'll keep trying to apply pene oil and see what I get. You all of course know that you can't get to the connection from the tube side on these. It's completely encased on the tube side of the rim. If I have this much trouble with just four, I'll see you all in the next life ...

H
    You'll be paying your respects to the nipple gods for a while. I would use a rag cover each spoke then clamp down with a vice and using the nipple wrench twist. If the nipple rounds out use another vice to break it free. If there's no opening on the rim side how the heck did the nipples get in from factory? I used to have the aksiums and went through this exact issue but was lucky to have rim access. Guess they did that so you could run tubeless. Send them off to mavic.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Kroil is the best penetrating oil I've ever seen, and have been using it in industry for over 20 years. It puts other penetrating oils to shame. If a little Kroil and a little heat (like from a heat gun, not an open flame) won't get it, then I agree, they are probably no longer adjustable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    Do I understand that at the moment there is nothing wrong with the wheels - no reason to service?

If this is the case, don't mess with them or worry about it. The damage is done and you might as well save the frustration for later.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Yeah I was trying to figure out, are you rebuilding the things? If so, just cut all the spokes and pull the nipple out with half a spoke attached. But then I don't think I'd want to re-use a 10 year old rim anyhow.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    Put 'em out to pasture. You're gonna break something...rim most likely, and then you're done any.
    formerly "backinthesaddle"

Strava is Latin for 'bench-racing"

Steaming piles of opinion
    Quote Originally Posted by forge55b View Post
    Yeah I was trying to figure out, are you rebuilding the things? If so, just cut all the spokes and pull the nipple out with half a spoke attached. But then I don't think I'd want to re-use a 10 year old rim anyhow.
    Either way, irrelevant. That's not how these wheels work. If I remember correctly, these are similar to UST, rather than traditional spoke-and-nipple.

Best solution in this instance: Ebay.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    @ hoibb, for what it is worth i have rehabed many ksyriums with cracked rims, broken spokes and broken hubs. i have even gone so far as buying the die tool to tap the rim treads. when you think you're done with this set PM me. we maybe able to work something out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    You might try ammonia. I am to understand that will free aluminum seatposts that weld themselves to steel seat tubes via galvanic action. Not sure if you have an aluminum nipple stuck to an aluminum rim. Usually it is dis-similar metals that cause the issue. I would suspect the aluminum nipple being stuck to the steel spoke.