RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006

Ksyrium ES VS. Cosmic Carbone SLs

My LBS has a great deal on both of these wheels - looking for something great for long rides / 100 milers and kinda stuck between these two.

Any advise would be appreciated........

addicted
    what terrain do you do over your 100 miles?

the cosmic carbone sl are heavier (by roughly 250 g), but more "aero". you would see these benefits on the flats, or in tt's or solo rides if you do them. the ksyrium ES are going to be less aero, but lighter, making what some would call more of a "climbing wheel" the ES also have 2 more front spokes (18/20 vs 16/20) so some would argue they may be more durable.

i am more of a climber, and having ridden both i prefered the ES's. they were easier to spin up and i felt they impact they made on the climb outwieghed whatever benefit i thought i was getting on the flats with the SL's.

good luck. in the end they are both great wheels and you can't really go wrong

banned
    Well, the difference in weight will not be a factor until the road grade gets really steep. Aero factors will be the dominant factors, so in light of that, the Cosmics may be the best choice.

Do a search for "acceleration", "moment of inertia", and "light wheels", and you'll find that people have done the math that proves that people who say that one set of wheels "spins up much faster" than another set are either full of crap or deluding themselves. Humans accelerate bikes so slowly--even humans like Robbie McEwen and, Thor Hushovd, and Tom Boonen--that differences between "heavy" wheels and "light" wheels are negligible.

addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by alienator
    you'll find that people have done the math that proves that people who say that one set of wheels "spins up much faster" than another set are either full of crap or deluding themselves.
    i'm aware. hence why i said "hey were easier to spin up and i felt they impact they made on the climb"

i know it was totally more mental than anything, but that was my opinion. if you put both in front of me and told me i could only have one (ignoring that fact i could take the more expensive, sell them, and get something i would prefer more, im trying to answer the op's question) id take the ES's because thats what i prefer. to each his own

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    I have the SSLs and the Carbones. The SSLs are very close to the ES (except for the bling factor, I do not think the ES is worth the money over the SSL but if you can only get a deal on the ES, it is a great wheelset). If you are not doing heaving climbing or in the mountains, if you like the Carbones, even with the extra weight, the Carbones are great. The Carbones spin great on the flats and are a fantastically stable wheel once you get over 20 mph. In heavy cross winds, the Carbones will require more work to ride than the ES. The Carbones are also a little bit more work to maintain (have to watch spoke tension or the wheels will ping, truing the wheel requires removing the tire, tube and rim tape) and while I have no problems with my Carbones after 2,000 miles (riding on terrible new york city roads), the ES and SSL have a reputation for outstanding durability. The Carbone is very durable but does not have quite the stout reputation.