RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2009

Lacing pattern question

Hi I have a question about rear hub lacing. I am planning on building a new set of wheels and previously i have used the bikehubstore hubs and they are great but i was wondering is it possible/sensible to lace a 24 hole ear hub 1x all around so that all the drive side spokes are heads in and all the none drive side are heads out. Stiffness wise there wouldn;t be any benefit but it would allow the ds/nds tensions to be closer as the hubs is towards the low end with a 45% tension differential.

I don't know is this a bad idea? It would allow the tensions to be closer together but do they really need to be? All my previous builds with these hubs have been laced conventionally and i haven't had any problems but if can be done without any other issues created it seems like it would be worth it. The only issue i can see is that with 1x lacing the spokes aren't as optimally positioned for "pulling" correct?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Not a direct answer to your question but I suggest considering radial for the drive side and cross 2 on the non-drive, like Zipp Firecrest, some Mavic wheels, and a few others. IMO, radial is stiffer because the spokes make the greatest angle with the plane of the wheel, are straight rather than bent at crossing points, and are shorter.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2009
    Yes but they don't drive the wheel at all. My goal/idea with this lacing pattern is that it would allow more even tension will still retaining stiffness.