RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003

'Larger' Tire Recommendations

Looking for a wider tire to serve 'less than ideal' weather duty. figure, I'll keep these on my Cross rig for use on rough road and crappy weather days. Looking at a few:

Vitt Open Pave III - 27mm - Love the 24mm version, so may just be the no-brainer choice for me

Challenge - Parigi Roubaix - 27mm - Sound like they have a super smooth ride, but are pretty rpone to cuts, a little odd for a wider tire named after PR

Challenge Eroica - 30mm - May be too wide, but my old legs will likely hold me back more than awider tire

Any additional thoughts would be most appreciated!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011

Re: 'Larger' Tire Recommendations

I use Panaracer Pasela TG in 28. Keep them on my older bike. They are great on gravel and dirt. Feel moee confident in bad weather. Very durable.

Not too heavy and the rolling resistance is supposedly not terrible.

RoadBikeReview Member

Grand Bois in 26 or 30. Similar to the Parigi. Comfortable but not as puncture resistant as other, less comfortable, tires. You know the trade-off.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Continental GP 4 Season are available in 28 folders. I have used these on my commuters bikes for years and they are durable, flat resistant, reasonably light weight, and handle well on wet roads. Probably not as comfy as the Challenge or Grand Bois tires, but more durable.

Vittoria Rubino Pros are available in 28 folders. I have used Rubino 25s for a while and they are relatively inexpensive, light weight, durable, flat resistant and roll nicely. The Conti GP 4 Seasons are probably more durable but don't roll as nice.

Clement Stradas are available in 28 folders, 60 and 120 TPI. I haven't used these tires but they are reasonably priced and light weight.

Panaracer Pasela TGs are reasonably priced, durable and light weight, and available in all black as well as skin walls. I ran some Pasela 28s for a while but they seemed to have a lot of rolling resistance. My average speed dropped 1-2 mph as soon as I installed them, so I didn't keep them for long.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tarwheel2 View Post
    Continental GP 4 Season are available in 28 folders. I have used these on my commuters bikes for years and they are durable, flat resistant, reasonably light weight, and handle well on wet roads. Probably not as comfy as the Challenge or Grand Bois tires, but more durable.

Vittoria Rubino Pros are available in 28 folders. I have used Rubino 25s for a while and they are relatively inexpensive, light weight, durable, flat resistant and roll nicely. The Conti GP 4 Seasons are probably more durable but don't roll as nice.

Clement Stradas are available in 28 folders, 60 and 120 TPI. I haven't used these tires but they are reasonably priced and light weight.

Panaracer Pasela TGs are reasonably priced, durable and light weight, and available in all black as well as skin walls. I ran some Pasela 28s for a while but they seemed to have a lot of rolling resistance. My average speed dropped 1-2 mph as soon as I installed them, so I didn't keep them for long.
    My speed is definitely less on the bike with the Paselas but not sure how much of that is the bike and how much is the tire. I think I recall the reports on their rolling resistance being good, but I do feel a difference. very comfortable tire though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003
    "Grand Bois in 26 or 30. Similar to the Parigi. Comfortable but not as puncture resistant as other, less comfortable, tires. You know the trade-off."

Are the Grand Bois more resistant to punctures than the Parigi's??

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBDad View Post
    Are the Grand Bois more resistant to punctures than the Parigi's??
    I dont know. I think they are quite comparable on the durability department and considering the variables involved, its quite difficult if not inaccurate to proclaim a winner.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    On the same journey - looking for a 28mm tire. Last year I tried the Clement -- overall a good tire however i have 2 complaints: its a bit narrow for a 28 looks, more like the gp4000s I ran in a 25 and the rear wore quickly <2000 miles and I do believe I rotated them once. This year I was set on the Challenge P-R but after reading the reviews with the casing fragility I decided to go with the Schwalbe Durano, I have not mounted them yet but, they look to have ample volume and fairly supple sidewall.
    Last edited by clydeone; 05-03-2013 at 11:38 PM. Reason: clarity

RoadBikeReview Member

Re: 'Larger' Tire Recommendations

I've been very happy with 700x28 Schwalbe Duranos. Smooth ride and good puncture resistance.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003
    Ordered a set of the Parigi-Roubaix's - we'll see...

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm happy with the Challenge P-R's. After using Contis for many years, they are certainly more fragile than the GP's but they do ride smoothly. I had a lot of punctures initially but they appear to have settled down after a year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by NJBiker72 View Post
    My speed is definitely less on the bike with the Paselas but not sure how much of that is the bike and how much is the tire.
    For some reason all the Panaracer tires have high Crr. The Grand Bois (which are also made by Panaracer) are not fast either, but of course are better than the Paselas.

I was recently researching for wide (28mm) tires to go on an old steel bike, and came up empty for good choices. Looking for something not too fragile but still fast. The 25mm 4000S and Michelin Pro4 looked like the best bet (for me)... both tend to run a little fatter than their size. A 28mm 4000S would be perfect. The 23mm Rubinos I have are quite small, so I doubt the 28mm version is really a 28. Pretty slow too, but cheap. Challenge tires are fast but fragile. The Vittoria Pave is slower but more durable... but still not that durable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by clydeone View Post
    I decided to go with the Schwalbe Durano
    Slow and durable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rruff View Post
    Slow and durable.
    Do you have a better choice for a 700 x 28 with better rolling resistance and reasonable flat protection?

Not a rocket surgeon.
    I run both the Challenge Roubaix and the Vittoria Open Paves. I have not had a problem with either. They hold up well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    From what I've heard the Michelin 25mm Pro4s run big. They are slower than Contis though and not as durable. The 28mm Rubino should have better Crr than the Durano (the ZX was just a little better than the Rubino), and those are cheap if you buy from the UK.

There is no tire in 28mm+ that hits the sweet spot like the GP4000S... so for me it's either a 25mm GP4000 or a Challenge. I've run "open tubulars" before including the Challenge Criterium, and I've never been impressed with their resistance to glass, or their longevity. Continentals are very good in that respect. But the open tubulars are are usually slightly faster and have a nice ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003
    Mounted the Parigi Roubaixs the other night. I had heard that they are a bear to mount, super tight. So i mounted them on a set of spare wheels to stretch for a bit. Also based on the advice in another post i found when researching the tires, I ordered the Kool-Stop Tire Bead Jack. WOW!! Best $12 I ever spent!! These tires were super tight, even on the narrow rim in this spare wheel set. The bead jack made short work of the installation.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rruff View Post
    There is no tire in 28mm+ that hits the sweet spot like the GP4000S
    Exactly what I have been looking for a 28 mm gp4000s

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006

25's

Quote Originally Posted by MTBDad View Post
    Looking for a wider tire to serve 'less than ideal' weather duty. figure, I'll keep these on my Cross rig for use on rough road and crappy weather days. Looking at a few:

Vitt Open Pave III - 27mm - Love the 24mm version, so may just be the no-brainer choice for me

Challenge - Parigi Roubaix - 27mm - Sound like they have a super smooth ride, but are pretty rpone to cuts, a little odd for a wider tire named after PR

Challenge Eroica - 30mm - May be too wide, but my old legs will likely hold me back more than awider tire

Any additional thoughts would be most appreciated!!
    Michelin Pro 4 Endurance or service course (I'm selling a used pair on eBay )

RoadBikeReview Member

Quote Originally Posted by clydeone View Post
    Exactly what I have been looking for a 28 mm gp4000s
    Well, the Conti GP 4 Season 28s come pretty close ...