RoadBikeReview Member

Latest Wheel Build

Hi all wheel builders!

My latest wheel build is for my gravel bike. I decided to go 650b/27.5/584 or whatever you want to call that size and put 47mm WTB Byways on them.

OK, the components:

Rims: WTB KOM i25 27.5
    Hubs: Shimano RS770
    Spokes: DT Champions
    Nipples DT brass Pro Head
    Lacing: 32 3 cross

The front wheel was a breeze to build! It was almost surreal. Everything seemed to fall into place regarding getting equal tensions and the wheel true, round and dished. I had to pinch myself.

But........on to the rear wheel. It is just the opposite!!! For the life of me, a just cannot seem to get the tensions equalized and still have the wheel true. I do one, the other goes out of whack. I cannot get the wheel reasonably true without having some tensions at least 3 graduations apart on the Park tensiometer. When I get all the tensions within 1 graduation, the wheel is unacceptably out of true. Very frustrating!

Any advice on what could be going wrong other than possibly a rim that wasn't true to begin with? I guess since this is a disc brake wheel set, I could just get the tensions reasonable equal and live with the wobbles. But it would bug me every time I look at it!

Thank you all in advance!
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    My latest wheel build is for my gravel bike. I decided to go 650b/27.5/584 or whatever you want to call that size and put 47mm WTB Byways on them.

OK, the components:

Rims: WTB KOM i25 27.5
    Hubs: Shimano RS770
    Spokes: DT Champions
    Nipples DT brass Pro Head
    Lacing: 32 3 cross
    Picture or didn't happen.

But........on to the rear wheel. It is just the opposite!!! For the life of me, a just cannot seem to get the tensions equalized and still have the wheel true. I do one, the other goes out of whack. I cannot get the wheel reasonably true without having some tensions at least 3 graduations apart on the Park tensiometer. When I get all the tensions within 1 graduation, the wheel is unacceptably out of true. Very frustrating!

Any advice on what could be going wrong other than possibly a rim that wasn't true to begin with? I guess since this is a disc brake wheel set, I could just get the tensions reasonable equal and live with the wobbles. But it would bug me every time I look at it!
    How big of wobble is it?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    How big of wobble is it?
    Around 3mm.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

a real member's member
    i always lay the new rim flat on a table before i start. there's no reason to lace a wheel if the new rim isn't true to begin.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    i always lay the new rim flat on a table before i start. there's no reason to lace a wheel if the new rim isn't true to begin.
    Well it looked true before I laced it.

So I settled. Got the NDS spokes within a graduation and DS spokes within 2 graduations. I figure equalizing the spokes on the low tension side is more critical. The true isn't too bad now. Not as good as my other wheels, but acceptable.

Picture or didn't happen.
    OK smart$$, if you insist :
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Latest Wheel Build-wtb-kom-rs770-wheelset.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011

Thumbs up

^ Those are purty wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    ^ Those are purty wheels.
    Thanks, Bvber!

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    Good point. Also, if a rim isn't true before tensioning, if you are really careful, you can straighten it. Go to you-tube. You'd be surprised how much you can flatten out. Handy skill if you're buying used rims...
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"