banned

Ligero wheel ride report

My Ligero wheels finally hit the road. Here's what I found.

There's a climb and descent between my house and the bank. The climb is nothing special, but the descent is wicked fast and harrowing: it drops nearly 5 feet over the course of about 1/10 of a mile. Screaming down that descent at 20 mph, the wheels felt dead solid. There's a 15 degree turn half way down the descent, and my Ligero wheels nailed that corner like they were a Mag-Lev train.

Once at the bank, I got a feel for the lateral stability of Troy's wheels when I leaned the bike up against a wall inside: no movement at all out of the rear, and the front did not exhibit any floppiness.

I finished the 2 mile loop in record time, carving nearly 1 second off my best. The real test, though, was when I carried the bike up the single flight of stairs to my second floor apartment: with those wheels on, I climbed those stairs like a meth addicted mountain goat on his third line of coke.

Aerodynamically the wheels seemed very clean. I didn't feel any turbulence off the front wheel. I also watched my leg hairs as I pedaled to look for evidence of turbulence and saw none.

In general I'm uber pleased. Everytime I applied pressure to my pedals, the bike seemed to move forward....no, rocket forward as if propelled by some force. If I stopped pedaling, the bike continued to coast forward.......just like magic....It seemed as if it would take some outside force to keep it from moving forward.

The only negative I can come up with is that when coasting, I heard a "clicking" coming from the rear hub. When I pedaled the clicking would stop, but if I coasted it would start up again. I'll have to ask Troy about that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Dude... you didn't tell us how fast they "spin-up"!

That's really important you know... after all, wheels do quite a lot of spinning when you ride...

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rruff
    Dude... you didn't tell us how fast they "spin-up"!

That's really important you know... after all, wheels do quite a lot of spinning when you ride...
    Spin-up? These babies re-define "spin-up." I swear they spin up so easily that....well....it was all I could do to pedal fast enough to keep up with the wheels. They were spinning-up faster than I could pedal!

tofurkey hunting
    i'm laughing on the inside. if you had found my alienator wheel pre-thread worthy of response, i might provide a super witty in-kind response for this thread. then i'd be laughing on the outside, or "LMAO" or "LMMFAO" or "LOL ROFL". but instead, you get "heh." i've been shunned by the wheels and tires crowd. i guess i'll go back to the lounge where they love anyone that can post often.

oh, and i've got dt swiss rr something rims, laced with dt competition spokes to 32h chorus hubs. they lean on my office wall like you wouldn't believe. this one time, i totally rode my bike on them for like 2.5 hours. they were so smooth that i literally "rolled" into my driveway. then, with the dog being insane at the door, i carried the bike indoors up the 4 steps on the back porch. i zig and zag with that thing on my shoulder (or under my rump) like you wouldn't believe. weight-wise, i can totally take the front wheel off with one hand when i put the bike in my car. i wave it around. i can hear a woosh woosh sound, so i don't know if that means uber aero or un aero. if anyone has an equation, let me know.

your wheels suck. just go ahead and send them to me.
    i know i painted you a prettier picture, baby...my fiction beats the hell out of my truth

wheelbuilder
    You should be able to drop about 3 min. off a 16 mile course with those puppies (wait, you need Zipps for that). Wow, 5 foot drop over 1/10. That's like, almost a 1% grade. Hope you didn't burn the brakes on that one.

If you want to get rid of the clicking, have Troy swap this in.

That should get rid of the noise.

Enjoy,
    Eric

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Alienator, you seem to be intelligent and have a well-developed sense of irony. Are you sure you're a cyclist?

T.R., conservationist
    Major LOL. Alienator, I hope you're in marketing. If not, you missed your calling...

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ampastoral
    i'm laughing on the inside. if you had found my alienator wheel pre-thread worthy of response, i might provide a super witty in-kind response for this thread. then i'd be laughing on the outside, or "LMAO" or "LMMFAO" or "LOL ROFL". but instead, you get "heh." i've been shunned by the wheels and tires crowd. i guess i'll go back to the lounge where they love anyone that can post often.
    Please don't judge me harshly. I was under an immense load of stress, waiting for my Ligero wheels. Self-medication with Stella Artois and amaretto sours often didn't help. To make myself stronger and more able to handle the stress, I ritually denied myself the things I most wanted: prunes, the leather bustier, responding to your post, and etc.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ergott
    You should be able to drop about 3 min. off a 16 mile course with those puppies (wait, you need Zipps for that). Wow, 5 foot drop over 1/10. That's like, almost a 1% grade. Hope you didn't burn the brakes on that one.
    Brakes were ok. On steep descents like that, I find it better to lock up the rear early so that I can lay off the front brakes and so the rear pads won't wear. The rear tire seems to handle wear like that pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by ergott
    If you want to get rid of the clicking, have Troy swap this in.

That should get rid of the noise.
    I'm on it. Thanks for the tip. I cut the rear hub out by snipping the spokes w/ wire cutters, so that I only have to send the hub back to him for the switch, not the whole wheel.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jerman
    Major LOL. Alienator, I hope you're in marketing. If not, you missed your calling...
    I wouldn't be surprised if I missed something. There's a long, sad history of me doing that....like when I was going to a small midwestern college (true), and Laura and Natasha invited me in for a while (true) and I missed all the hints they dropped (sadly true)....

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rossb
    Alienator, you seem to be intelligent and have a well-developed sense of irony. Are you sure you're a cyclist?
    I'm not in a position to answer that right now. It's not like the position is bad. It's just that my arms are going numb, and it's diphikult 2 tipe.

wheel to wheel
    Hey, this is all great and informative, etc. but you haven't really told us how these compare with your HED Stalingrads.

As for me, mine felt way, way better: faster, aero-er, snappy-ier, definitely way more cliche'd, and generally just more "compliant" I guess is how I'd put it, on my own driveaway (4' in 1/11 th, so I'm not sure the comparison is fair, to be fair).
    But on my 12 degree hairpin over 240 +/- yards? No problemo.
    And the clincher so-to-speak was hucking these babies over my (admittedly shallow at 6 in 18) 2 porch steps. Mine felt positively cloudlike, ethereal even, to the point that I'm thinking of naming them "Untethered", as in blimp-like-free, compared to my Stali's. I might have some custom stickers made, but how much would they weigh, including glue?

Oh, I didn't notice one single out-of-phase micro-acceleration during my entire +3,400' parcours!

I'm really pleased with my purchase, but then again I'm not really part of the "wheels and tires crowd", so maybe I just don't know any better.

They're in the back of my car right now, and the sun is supposed to shine tomorrow, almost all day.
    Is that OK?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alienator
    Brakes were ok. On steep descents like that, I find it better to lock up the rear early so that I can lay off the front brakes and so the rear pads won't wear. The rear tire seems to handle wear like that pretty well.

I'm on it. Thanks for the tip. I cut the rear hub out by snipping the spokes w/ wire cutters, so that I only have to send the hub back to him for the switch, not the whole wheel.
    Freaking rookie! Eveyone knows an accomplished cyclist will leap the bike high in the air turning it sideways to lay it down to stop. No real cyclist uses brakes. Ditch them an you benefit less weight and being more aero.

Also to be safe I recommend removing the chain and bearings from the wheels. You did put pasties on the nipples right?
    For my next trick I will now set myself on fire!

foz
    naranjito
    Sep 2004
    you didn't tell us how much extra power these new wheels give you...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    I was going to a small midwestern college (true)
    I gotta know where that was...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Aerodynamically the wheels seemed very clean. I didn't feel any turbulence off the front wheel. I also watched my leg hairs as I pedaled to look for evidence of turbulence and saw none.
    there's a problem with your theory. if your leg hairs weren't moving, then that would have to mean the bike wasn't moving, either. it could still be on a trainer, but your leg hairs also move when you pedal. which means your bike was standing still, and you weren't pedalling...

...of greater concern, however, is that you're guilty of the major fashion faux pas of not shaving.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmoretime
    Freaking rookie! Eveyone knows an accomplished cyclist will leap the bike high in the air turning it sideways to lay it down to stop. No real cyclist uses brakes. Ditch them an you benefit less weight and being more aero.

Also to be safe I recommend removing the chain and bearings from the wheels. You did put pasties on the nipples right?
    Lay it down to stop? Are you DEranged? Actually, right now I'm cutting down a mop handle to stick in the rear spokes when I want to slow down. Of course, I'm drilling out the handle to make it as light as possible.

I disassembled every link in my KMC X10SL chain last night, and I couldn't find a single damned bearing. So I don't know what in the hell you're talking about.

No pasties, BTW. Instead I put aligator clips on all the nipples: that makes them more stiff and increases the rigidification of each wheel. At first I tried just icing the nipples, but in the Tucson sun they warmed up too quickly to maintain the right stiffness over the course of a ride.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rruff
    I gotta know where that was...
    Oberlin College, a bastion of hippiness and creative and sometimes deviant human relations.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cadence90
    Hey, this is all great and informative, etc. but you haven't really told us how these compare with your HED Stalingrads.

As for me, mine felt way, way better: faster, aero-er, snappy-ier, definitely way more cliche'd, and generally just more "compliant" I guess is how I'd put it, on my own driveaway (4' in 1/11 th, so I'm not sure the comparison is fair, to be fair).
    But on my 12 degree hairpin over 240 +/- yards? No problemo.
    And the clincher so-to-speak was hucking these babies over my (admittedly shallow at 6 in 18) 2 porch steps. Mine felt positively cloudlike, ethereal even, to the point that I'm thinking of naming them "Untethered", as in blimp-like-free, compared to my Stali's. I might have some custom stickers made, but how much would they weigh, including glue?

Oh, I didn't notice one single out-of-phase micro-acceleration during my entire +3,400' parcours!

I'm really pleased with my purchase, but then again I'm not really part of the "wheels and tires crowd", so maybe I just don't know any better.

They're in the back of my car right now, and the sun is supposed to shine tomorrow, almost all day.
    Is that OK?
    It so happens that I've trained myself to pedal using only micro-accelerations, that way I can really maximize the benefit of the low moment of inertia my wheels have. I call my technique a Fresnel Cadence.

Obviously, my Stalingrads are much more aero than my Ligero wheels, and they have a much better specific gravity. A wheelset's specific gravity is much more important than people are willing to admit.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by foz
    you didn't tell us how much extra power these new wheels give you...
    Well, I didn't have a power meter with me, but when I stopped at a light, I flexed as hard as I could and felt like I looked way more powerful than I ever did with my Bontrager Race X Lites.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by weiwentg
    there's a problem with your theory. if your leg hairs weren't moving, then that would have to mean the bike wasn't moving, either. it could still be on a trainer, but your leg hairs also move when you pedal. which means your bike was standing still, and you weren't pedalling...

...of greater concern, however, is that you're guilty of the major fashion faux pas of not shaving.
    Actually, I realized, after I posted that, that the reason my leg hairs weren't moving was because when I waxed my legs, I forgot to remove the wax.

banned
    Ok. Took the wheels out for a 30 mile, post bronchitis ride today. I only had to push my lungs back in my mouth a couple of times. As for the wheels........they seem to roll a bit better than the Race X Lites did (with same tires, same pressures). Only a couple fastish corners on the route today, and in those corners the wheels seemed a bit more confident. So much for the seems. The finish on the Crostini brake tracks gives better braking than the finish on the Race X Lites. That's a definite. The Crostinis have a pinned rim, not a welded one, but you can't tell riding 'em. Braking is very smooth.

Tomorrow they'll go on a mountain ride with fast descents, so maybe I'll learn more then. The rear hub does make an oh-so-purdy sound.