Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Light semi-aero carbon clincher?

9K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  onlineflyer 
#1 · (Edited)
Looking for ideas for a reasonably light semi-aero (30-45mm) carbon clincher for my Cento1. I am running Easton EC90SL's on my Dogma and have been pretty happy with them. I was hoping to find something lighter for the Cento1. This will be the bike I use more for climbing, so braking performance / heat issues are important. The 2011 and newer offerings from most of the major wheel builders all seem to offer newer carbon / resin technologies as well as special brake pads. Here are some candidates:

Reynolds 32 clincher - 1351gm / 32mm / CTg brake track and Cryo Blue pads

Industry Nine i35 clincher - 1250gm / 32mm / I believe same rim as Reynolds 32

Zipp 303 Firecrest clincher - 1498gm / 45mm

Enve 45 clincher - 1423gm / 45mm

Mad Fiber carbon clincher - 1250gm? / not available until 2012?

The Enve 45 has been out for a while, so I'm not sure if they have any new changes to the carbon / resin in their brake rims to address the heat issues. Obviously, the 303 Firecrest isn't widely available yet, so no reviews. But, the other Firecrest models seem to have decent reviews. The Mad Fiber clinchers look promising. I can't find very much on either the new Reynolds 32 or Industry Nine i35 wheelsets, however.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#6 ·
I weigh 175 lbs. I ride 1-2 times per week - more recently about 80% road biking and 20% mountain biking. My wife and I do a lot of group rides / gran fondos / etc. Wind is variable - but I wouldn't say it is particularly windy where I live (southern California).

#15 ·
Thanks. The Boyd's look like a great deal. Do you know whose rim they use?

Reynolds also makes a R2 32mm carbon clincher that sells for $1000. But, the R2 uses their 2010 rims (as opposed to the new ones with CTg brake track and swirl lip generator) and Reynolds hubs (instead of DT 240's). I talked to the Reynolds engineer a lot about the differences in their new line of carbon rims. Apparently they test all their competitor's wheels along with their own for temperature during braking. The 2011 rims supposedly run up to 100 degrees cooler. They also supply the new rims to Industry Nine for their carbon clinchers.

#20 ·
I just received them yesterday. They look great. I weighed them before mounting tires - the weights were as advertised (620g / 730g = 1350g). It doesn't look like I'll get much riding in this week, but I'll post a ride report after some time on the wheels.

#19 ·
I agree and for what the op says his type of riding will be with this particular bike it doesn't make much sense to me. carbon clinchers really aren't that light. would be better off building lightweight aluminum climbing wheels that would weigh in around 1300-1350 grams and cost a helluva lot less

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.