Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Lightweight Standard 111 Clincher ride report!

Well, after thinking long and hard about these wheels and breaking the news to my Wife (who was very good about the whole thing) I decided to buy a set of Lightweight Standard 111 Clinchers. If you say the price quite quickly, it doesn't seem that bad. Well, that's what I was trying to tell the wife. Some of you may think, why buy clinchers at that price? Well, good point. However, I'm no loner racing and wanted a clincher for convenience. Funny, the weight of a set of clinchers is the same weight as a set of tubular wheels - 1080 g. A set of Campagnolo Bora Ultra Two's come in at 1305 g to give you some idea. So, they arrived the other day and it was a great feeling getting them out of the box. When they say Lightweight, they really are. You cannot help but notice how well these wheels are made. Superb German construction and engineering. The DT Swiss 240 rear hub sounds like a precise swiss time-piece, tick tick tick, firm and confident! Actually, I guess you could just hang them on the wall as german carbon works of art! Anyhow, I mounted Vittoria Open Cora CX tyres which I have always found extremely good. I was intersted to see how these wheels would compare against my Campagnolo Hyperon Ultras, could they really be much better? Well, I was soon to find out.

Overall imression

I took the wheels out for a quick 30 mile ride. It was immediately evident that the Lightweights are a serious set of wheels. I found these wheels stiff but also incredibly comfortable. They just seem to eat up the road shock and any uneven surface. Strong and confident. The accelaeration was amazing, they just project you forward like a nuclear missile, with every turn of speed you could feel the bike urging forward. The free - wheeling was far superior to the Hyperons. Just kept running and running with that lovely sound of the DT Swiss rear hub ticking away. These wheels are not only good on the flat, they also proved themselves on steep climbs and fast descent. Again, extremely confident. The ride quality with this clincher was just as good as the ride quality of a tubular and seemed to have a low rolling resistance. Which may sound odd, but its true!

Truly, a great set of wheels!

Last edited by nicensleazy; 06-18-2010 at 08:31 AM.

Get me to In&Out
    Damn you. I live in Germany for the next few years, and I am so tempted to grab a set of these. Where I live there is no flat. You are going uphill or downhill. I am currently on cosmic carbones, and the thought of dropping a couple pounds in rotating weight is very appealing. The real kicker is we live only a couple hours from the factory. If the owner were to give me a little tour, I doubt I would walk out without a smoking credit card bill. I have been considering these a lot lately.
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Superb bike!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002
    Lose the warning stickers

RoadBikeReview Member
    Good spot, I had just fitted them!

Get me to In&Out
    I agree that the bike looks awesome. Your profile doesn't say where you live, and do you have good insurance? Just kidding obviously.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    Wow! Your bike looks sweet!

What is the weight of your bike now?

And if you have an issue with the wheels, you have to send them back to Germany correct? Did you order them straight from them or is there a dealer in the states that you dealt with?

Awesome bike!

RoadBikeReview Member
    OK, I must ask.......how much did you pay?

Get me to In&Out
    If you need to ship them back, let me know. My house is two hours from Carbon Sports.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks guys. I bought them through Wiggle http://www.wiggle.co.uk/m/cycle/7/Lightweight/

Cpark
    Nice wheelset!
    You must be in sales to be able to get your wife's approval....

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cpark
    Nice wheelset!
    You must be in sales to be able to get your wife's approval....
    No doubt about that!!! I just spent a ton of cash on a new set of wheels for me. I am sure that the wife would have flat out told me NO on the Lightweight wheels....

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nicensleazy
    Thanks guys. I bought them through Wiggle http://www.wiggle.co.uk/m/cycle/7/Lightweight/
    I can't help to stare at your awesome bike. Very nice.

Please tell me how much your bike weighs now, if you don't mind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nice review of the Lightweight Standard 111 Clincher

http://www.light-bikes.de/website/ne...dard-c-im-test

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    nicensleazy - a bonus piece of information for you - the clinchers actually have the DT190 ceramic rear hub not the DT240 of the tubular version - one reason for the price difference however the do weigh 1130g for the 16/20 spoke version.

I would add a few more positive comments about these clinchers - I have had mine for a little while having traded in my LW gen 3 tubulars after one year - mainly on clincher convenience grounds.

With good insurance in place these wheels are really the perfect all-round wheel - especially if you weigh over 200lbs and have a weakness for light bikes as I do as other clinchers in this weight range are just not a practical proposition from a stiffness/strength point of view. The wheels are incredibly stiff laterally as you would expect - the bigger surprise is how snappy they feel with instant response when accelerating - presumably thanks to the integrated carbon spoke arrangement which gives excellent torsional stiffness as well. The slighly shallower rim of the clincher (48mm vs 53mm) Vs the tubular is actually stiffer - presumably due to the extra structure of the rim tyre bead.

There are very few applications I would not use these for - probably wet winter riding due to the grit damage to the brake track when braking (they actually brake very well in the wet with LW's brakepads) and possibly on rides with really long descents with a lot of continuous braking due to rim overheating and possible tyre blowouts - again more of a problem for carbon clinchers generally than these wheels specifically. Have a nice set of aluminium clinchers for the rain and braking burnout rides (and cobblestones if that is your thing) and you've got a very complete stable for all riding needs.

Happy riding

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007

compare to Hyperon

Could you compare them specifically to the Hyperon. In areas such as lateral stiffness, comfort, acceleration etc. Both of these are on my short list.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Shewing.!!!!

Very Nice!

Congrats

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chris linback
    Could you compare them specifically to the Hyperon. In areas such as lateral stiffness, comfort, acceleration etc. Both of these are on my short list.

Make no doubt about it, these are both a superb set of wheels.

The Hyperons - They are lightweight and climb like a mountain goat on steroids. They feel extremely urgent on climbs and never miss a beat. Yes they are indeed stiff, but still very comfortable (although not as stiff as the Lightweights). Obviously with the Hyperons, you can adjust the spokes yourself. I cannot fault the Hyperons really and have found them an extremely good wheel. I live in an extremely hilly area and the Hyperons really work. If I had to be critical about these wheels, I would say possible on the flat at speed they are not as aerodynamic as the deep-section Lightweights. On the flat, I have noticed an increase in speed with the Lightweights. The Hyperons are nicely finished and made to a very high specification. Also, if you ever had a problem with the Hyperons, you could always take them to your nearest Campag dealer. As with the Lightweights, they will probably need to be sent back to Germany. What do you actually want to do with these wheels and whats the terrain like where you ride?

Here you go. The winner of stage 20 in the 2010 Giro..............using Hyperons!

Last edited by nicensleazy; 06-19-2010 at 02:31 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007

compare to Hyperon

I'm in the market for an everyday wheel that is at once smooth & comfy as well as very stiff.
    (Yes, I know this is a tall order). Aero is nice but not as important. I like to do long rides & not get jarred around & long climbs while occasionally sprinting hard out of the saddle followed by long descents on a wheel that goes where I point it. (I hate mushy wheels) I have been thinking of the Hyperon & Lightweight but the Lightweight is perhaps out of the budget. I also have heard the Eurus/Shamal are quite stiff. I don't know how comfortable they are though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The new 2010 Shamal Ultra now comes with ceramic hubs. Campagnolo do make some lovely wheels at all budgets. I would highly recommend the Hyperons. The Hyperons are very smooth and very comfortable. I have done quite a few long rides on them with no problem !

banned
    Apr 2008

I can attest.. .

I also have heard the Eurus/Shamal are quite stiff. I don't know how comfortable they are though.
    I have a pair of 2010 Shamal Ultras and can say they are brilliant wheels. Very stiff and quite aerodynamic. I've had zipp 303s, mavics and others but the Campy wheels are wayyyyy above the others in every category.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004
    Dadoflam,

Can you compare your tubular LW to your clincher LW? I think we would all be interested to know if the tubulars felt any better (the eternal question on this site). If convenience were not an issue, would you have stuck with the tubulars?

Thanks.

BTW, post a pic.

Cpark
    I'm in the market for an everyday wheel that is at once smooth & comfy as well as very stiff.
    (Yes, I know this is a tall order). Aero is nice but not as important. I like to do long rides & not get jarred around & long climbs while occasionally sprinting hard out of the saddle followed by long descents on a wheel that goes where I point it. (I hate mushy wheels) I have been thinking of the Hyperon & Lightweight but the Lightweight is perhaps out of the budget. I also have heard the Eurus/Shamal are quite stiff. I don't know how comfortable they are though.
    Recommend a set of Edge rims/Alchemy hubs.
    I'm having a set buillt by Zencyclery.
    I'll PM you my personal feedback if you would like.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    Yes please, I have seen the Edge rim a lot & have been waiting for the Alchemy hubs to come out. Curious to get your feed back after a few rides.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    Nicensleazy,
    Thanks for the feed back. Now I just have to come up with the dough & pull the trigger!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast