RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005

Like the C24s but wider?

I have a pair of DA 9000 C24s and I love how smooth the hubs are. The wheels are also light, comfortable, nimble and spin up fast. I also have a pair of FLO 30s. The hubs don't feel as smooth, but I like how sure footed they feel because of the extra width. I was hoping the new shimano C40s would be the perfect marriage of both, but they're not any wider than my C24s. Does anyone have a recommendation? I'm looking for a light, wide wheel with a smooth hub. I'm looking at the HED Aredennes PLus SL or maybe having a Pacenti Forza built around Dura Ace hubs. My budget is $800-1200. Thank you.

dcb
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Seems like you're already on the right track. You can buy Flo 30 rims lace them up to some DA hubs. You could also pick about a half dozen other rims with similar internal rim width. You've mentioned Hed Ardennes, and then there's the Kinlin C31, Boyd Altamont, Aforce, etc.. Seems like you could do this while easily staying under/within your budget.

changingleaf
    If you like the Dura Ace hub with the nice Titanium freehub body then a custom wheelset with any of these rims will be great.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    What do you think about the ProWheelBuilder Ventus Wheels?
    VENTUS PREMIUM PWB SIGNATURE WHEEL SET CUSTOM HANDBUILT BY - prowheelbuilder.com

It's basically a Kinlin XR31T rim with a White T11 hub and Sapim CX Ray spokes.

How do the Kinlin rims compare to the Pacenti, and how do the White hubs compare to the Dura Ace? The advantage of these wheels is lower cost ($650 vs 800) slightly lower weight, and fewer spokes. If it matters, I'm 145LBS, and I'm looking for a fast, durable, all-around wheel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Do you have different tires or use different PSI on your two current wheels. Or perhaps use the same PSI? If they have a different width, the same PSI will not feel the same. Generally the wider you go the less PSI you'd use. Other that at extremes like a defective hub, a wheel feeling smooth or not has nothing to do with the hub.

I don't see where you stand to gain anything by a new set of wheels given what you already have.

dcb
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    I built up a set of the 31's with a kit from bikehubstore and I've got no complaints. November Wheels has a blog post comparing the 31's and a few other aluminum clinchers to Zipp 303's in the wind tunnel and they did pretty well especially considering the cost difference. I think the Ventus kit is a good deal given this: https://www.bikehubstore.com/product-p/xr31t-wi-kit.htm
    So you're paying about $50 bucks for the build which seems like a good deal. You might also try seeing what bikehubstore would charge for a build and I think November sells basically the same kit as well.

Pro Wheel believes those rims are super strong. I've never bought anything from them but I've used the builder tool on their website many times and they don't seem to be shy about recommending more spokes than what you typically get today. Some people might call them conservative on this but I'd say they're on target. However, with the Kinlin 31 they don't seem to have any problems with lower spoke counts so they've got a lot of trust in the strength of that rim.

changingleaf
    I personally find servicing a White Industries hub much less time consuming than a Dura-ace hub. I like the Pacenti Forza rim better than the Kinlin. The Pacent has a better shape and a nicer finish.