RoadBikeReview Member

Looking for alloy 23mm wide 30+mm deep

I'd like some zipp 101s but don't feel like paying a grand.

What are my options for a light, durable 23mm wide, 30mm deep (or deeper) aluminum clincher? Somewhere in the $500 range.

I was looking at the 3T Accelero 40 Pro, but they weigh a ton.

I'm also not crazy about doing a custom build.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Rol race SL are now 23 wide, but I think they are now 28 deep. $625. Not exactly the specs you want, but close enough that you might want to consider them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The new Neuvation wheels are 22mm wide 26mm deep and $400...
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Your budget, depth desires, avoidance of custom and weight goal are going to be limitng factors.

Getting up over the 30mm depth in a alu rim is going to make it heavy. If it isn't heavy, it is going to be pricey.

Although not your preference, I think the best way to balance your desire for a deeper rim with your weight goal is going to be a custom build or a smaller wheelhouse that is using the same suppliers as your custom houses. There are only 3 rims that come to mind that come close to fitting your wants.

Kinlin/BHS/Boyd = 23 wide, 28 deep
    The new Pacenti
    The H+ Son Archetype

RoadBikeReview Member
    EDIT: sorry I didn't rear the last part about custom builds... in that case you should really check out the HED Bastogne, salivate a little, and then try to find them on sale to fit your budget.

I was in the market for something very similar to what you seek. I just placed an order last night for a set of hand built wheels after chatting with a builder.

Kinlin 279 (28mm deep, 23mm wide)
    BHS hubs (I was skeptical - you can find my earlier thread on this forum - but road reports are positive)
    24/28 x-ray spokes / brass nipples
    build is weighed in at 1584

I paid just under five hundred. If you were to start pricing the above with name brand hubs, price would rocket up $200+.

The Kinlin rims - while being 2mm shallower - have a rounded off shape (toroid?) similar to HED's new offerings which tests are very aero. The HED's are another rim to consider here, as they are finished slightly better and have similar specs (the Bastogne's are 30mm deep while also being 23wide). One caveat is that they are hard to find in stock.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    9W9W - did you do your own build? I'd like to try, but I'm too chicken.

And Flo Cycling is currently testing prototypes of the exact wheel the OP is looking for. Check their website for updates.
    Tis the season for all of us not hard enough to play to belittle those not hard enough to win. We are a funny lot. - dave @ November Bicycles

RoadBikeReview Member
    No. I can barely change my tire without botching it twice over.

Under five hundred was my builders price for the whole thing. I don't want to break any etiquette rules on the forum, so I'm not sure if its okay to share his website.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    FWIW, I just recently built up a set of the Kinlin 279 rims and BHS hubs. I went 20/24 with Alu nipples. Radial Front, 2X rear. Sapim Lazer all the way around except for I used Race on the Drive side. Weight came in at 1520. THey are for a smooth 170 lb rider. THis built up to very strong set of wheels. I was really impressed with this rim.
    Last edited by Enoch562; 03-23-2013 at 05:38 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    If you really like the Zipp 101's then search around. You don't have to pay a grand and you don't have to buy them used to get them cheaper. Multiple vendors at this past Velo Swap had them for less than a grand. I doubt you will find them for $500 though. $800-$900 most likely. Boyd or Rol might just be what you are looking for.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Tis the season for all of us not hard enough to play to belittle those not hard enough to win. We are a funny lot. - dave @ November Bicycles

Dr. Buzz Killington
    Go with the ROL Race SL's or the Boyd Vitesses. They're $625 and $650, respectively, which I know is above what you'd like to spend, but for the money you can't beat them. You want a set that is light, durable, 23mm, and 30mm deep. One or two of those specs has to go if you want to stay at $500.

Online Wheel Builder
    I'd throw in another vote for the XC279. It seems to be pretty slick in the wind considering its depth, which I think it accentuated by the width.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    Looks pretty good. I'm guessing the brake track will wear to silver?

irony intended
    Quote Originally Posted by JackDaniels View Post
    Looks pretty good. I'm guessing the brake track will wear to silver?
    If you the Q&A comments in the FLO blog, you'll see their response: "These have the same anodizing that your FLO 60, 90 and DISC have. For some people they black never wears off and for others it wears off quickly. It depends on primarily the weather you ride in and the type of brake pads you use. Wet weather makes the black wear off quickly."
    2011 Tarmac Pro SL3 Project Black (gone but not forgotten)
    2012 Parlee Z5 SLi (because I can)
    2014 Colnago C59 AD04 (why not)

Recycle King
    Boyd's Cycling have some Vitesse Wheels which is 28mm deep and 23mm wide which is close to your range($650). 1508gm for 20/24 spoke count(recommend for rider under 180lb)1552gm for 24/48 spoke count(recommend for rider over 180lb)

2013 Vitesse alloy clincher - Boyd Cycling
    "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa, 1989 NYC Marathon winner

"Common sense is not too common these days."

"Cheap things have no value, valuable things are not cheap." - Fortune Cookie

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Wonder if it will be available as rim only. Obviously they won't cite their source... that'd be stupid

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I just picked up a set of Boyd Vitesse and took them for a ride for the first time today. Needless to say I was very impressed.

In comparison to the other 2 sets of wheels I have that cost substantially more, IMO they really are a bargain. Great set of wheels for the price. I can't comment on their long term durability but the reviews say theres no issues.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'd like to try, but I'm too chicken.
    Find an old wheel, remove the tension from the spokes, and tension it yourself. After playing with that, BUILD!!!. You never learn sitting around watching others do it. If you read Mike's site for novice wheel builder's you'll do better than many. I've put 150 miles on my new wheels and they're still as true as the day I put tires on them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I went with the 25mm wide SAT and I like them very much. No spoke hole to cover with strip or Veloplugs. They make a 23mm wide as well.

Special Assembly Technology 700C 23MM Wide Carbon Wheels Clincher 50MM with Super Light Hubs

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    The new Zipp 30s? Basically re-done SRAM S30ALs. Not 23mm but 21.5 which is a bit wider than standard.
    A road bike needs disk brakes like a fish needs a bicycle (with apologies to Ms. Dunn)

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    How about this Novatec JetFly wheelset from BDog Cycling.
    They may not have the external 23mm you're after but it does have the latest wide internal dimensions of 17mm.
    Wheels-Road Alloy scroll down

Here's the Novatec site for more details.
    Jetfly (Clincher) - Novatec

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by SprinterX; 04-06-2013 at 02:47 PM. Reason: added info