Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Looking for a Carbon Clincher Wheelset

3K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  MShaw 
#1 ·
I want a wheelset with the spokes imbedded in the metal and the carbon acting as either as just a fairing or a fairing and a lightly stressed structural member. I've heard HED Alps are like this, as well as Mavic Carbones. Anyone suggest another wheelset? Anyone have experience with one that I've listed and recommends it for racing and fast group rides on rolling terrain with moderately rough roads?

#3 ·
I've heard they were built differently.

I heard that the spokes are mounted in the carbon just like the tubular version, the only difference being they just added metal to form the braking surface and bead. I could be wrong though, but I think it was the Zipps I heard pulling spokes out of the rim.

#4 ·
... both the HED Alps and the older Jet series would fill your bill.

Both of these wheels (at least) anchor the spokes within an alloy rim... I think the main difference is the CF fairing is more substantial (near structural) on the Alps... the Alps is also lighter.

I've noticed that HED is bringing back the Stinger line...but these were similar to ZIPP 404s in using the carbon as a structural mount for the spokes... I haven't seen the latest Stingers... but info might be at the HED website.

In my experience, the Alps has been a decent enuff wheelset.

#5 ·
HED is bad

ive owned they alps, very ugly rim profile, they are hand filied at the top by some kid workin in their shop. they fairing was irregular and sharp at the edge in some places,,,very wierd. dont get them they are not quality and ive had several defects in mine before gettin rid of them. they are almost as expensive as tubies. just get a pair of them. dont bother with the fake fairing crap. i got a pair of cane creek 58mm aros tubies brand new for only 1200, retail on them is 1500, HED is a family based business operated out of some house. its a wierd deal, i honestly would stay away from them. i think they dont even make the H3 but rather have a deal with some company in spain.

#6 ·
If I'm not mistaken the Cosmic Carbones are the most aero of the lot, very reliable, strong and stiff wheels (especially noticeable in the rear wheel). Their only downfall is weight, but you don't really notice it unless you're climbing some serious hills.

#7 ·
Carbones

I've ridden Carbones for the last 6 years, they were my only wheels for 3 years. They have served me well but I still have mixed feelings about them. They are fairly heavy because of their rugged construction. They are relatively fast on flat courses because of their aerodynamics. My Carbones are (were) first generation pre-SSC with 16 spokes front and back. Last year the rear rim (aluminum) cracked after an eyelet had broken. MAVIC will not repair or rebuild these wheels but they did replace the rear with a new 2004 SSC 20 spoke version at half price. The new 2005 Carbones are totally different, apparently all carbon fiber rims, and I don't know how the spokes are mounted.
Based on my experience I would buy full carbon fiber tubular aero wheels for race day only and use light weight conventional wheels for everyday riding and training. I will say that I've gotten my money's worth out of the Carbones.
~Al

#8 ·
Zipp 303's Would Work Well

I have had a set of the 303 clinchers since Christmas. They have held up great on the rough roads we have plenty of here in Chattanooga. I had my heart set on the Alps till I saw a couple pairs come back from warranty at the shop. My Zipp's climb like crazy, I am sure it is just a mental thing, but they seem much faster on the climbs than my every day Ksyrium Sl's. I love the fact that you can use regular brake pads due to the non-carbon rims. I do have a team mate that cracked a set where the spoke enters the carbon. Zipp was quick to take care of the problem. Replacement spoke can be a problem as well, but you will face this with any wheelset that is built with non traditional parts.

#9 ·
kenyonCycleist said:
ive owned they alps, very ugly rim profile, they are hand filied at the top by some kid workin in their shop. they fairing was irregular and sharp at the edge in some places,,,very wierd. dont get them they are not quality and ive had several defects in mine before gettin rid of them. they are almost as expensive as tubies. just get a pair of them. dont bother with the fake fairing crap. i got a pair of cane creek 58mm aros tubies brand new for only 1200, retail on them is 1500, HED is a family based business operated out of some house. its a wierd deal, i honestly would stay away from them. i think they dont even make the H3 but rather have a deal with some company in spain.

I would concur- I've actually been to the HED factory and it literally IS a house- and yes, the H3 are built is Spain. HED have enough of a following with tri guys, but I agree that HED are difficult to true, the fairings are usually out of round, they are HEAVY, etc... conversely, they are relatively bulletproof- but for that kind of money, buy some racing-only all carbon tubulars and have no regrets!

#10 ·
doctor do you concur?

why yes i do...hehe. HA! i knew it. HED should stand for 'Home Economical Designs' I mean jeeze....i talked to them and they told me they have some 16 year old whose job it is to finish the fairings by filing them...yes you heard it FILING them. carbon should be molded not filed...its not exactly wood, although im sure anything made by HED rides like it.

filtersweep said:
I would concur- I've actually been to the HED factory and it literally IS a house- and yes, the H3 are built is Spain. HED have enough of a following with tri guys, but I agree that HED are difficult to true, the fairings are usually out of round, they are HEAVY, etc... conversely, they are relatively bulletproof- but for that kind of money, buy some racing-only all carbon tubulars and have no regrets!

#12 ·
mgp said:
Check out the new Reynolds carbon clinchers. Pricey, but word is they are *very* durable. They don't have a metal rim, but they don't need it since they are properly engineered. Definitely on my wish list!
One of my buds works for Reynolds now. He was out riding a rear carbon-clincher. Looked like a very nice wheel.

I haven't gotten a chance to borrow them so can't comment as to how they ride.

M

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.