RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003

Looking for a nice training wheel - Mavic Cosmic Elite vs. Ksyrium Equipe

All - I am looking at either the Mavic Cosmic Elite or Ksyrium Equipe wheelset. I am looking for compliant wheelset...that isn't going to kill me on long rides like a racing wheelset. Thoughts? I am currently getting beat up on my long training rides on my Fulcrum 5's....

RoadBikeReview Member
    In my experience, wheels don't make a huge difference. Lower pressure can help a lot and I run a C2 rim (23mm wide) at lower pressure. A 25 tire helps too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Neither. As looigi stated, a bigger tire/wider rim will be the best. If you must have a compliant wheel, look for lots of spokes and a shallow rim. Something like a Velocity Synergy with 32/36 spokes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003
    ultegra hubs 32 hole 3x with a shallow rim of your choice. Damn hard to beat the $$ to training wheel coefficient with that set.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by roadboy
    ultegra hubs 32 hole 3x with a shallow rim of your choice. Damn hard to beat the $$ to training wheel coefficient with that set.
    +1

I own Equipe's & SSC-SL's. With same tires/pressure both are a bit rougher riding than my Ultegra/OP 32-spokes on long rides. And Ultegra hubs are less trouble than Mavic's plastic bushing-freehub design.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldteen
    +1
    Ultegra/OP 32-spokes on long rides. And Ultegra hubs are less trouble than Mavic's plastic bushing-freehub design.
    And 25C tires.

You won't look flashy or hip, but you'll be comfortable and the wheels will be more or less maintenance free.