pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Looking for a silver/polished rim

I'm building up an older steel frame and am looking for a classic shiny rim. I'd like to use White Industries T11 hubs and Sapim cxray spokes. I have a set with HED Belgium rims on those components that I really like. They're strong, fairly light and I like the wider spacing. Can anyone recommend something similar in a polished finish?

RoadBikeReview Member
    How about the Pacenti Brevet? I just rebuilt my rear wheel with one and so far I'm happy with it. I replaced a Grand Bois rim and so far the Pacenti looks like a better rim. Box section, machined brake track, 455g and 19mm inner. Mine is the 650b with the same inner and 42mm tires work fine.

I got mine here, https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/co...evet-rim-700c/ ,but I'm sure they can be found elsewhere if need be.
    Too old to ride plastic

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks. I was hoping to do 24F/28R, but I guess 28/28 would work too. I shy away from tubeless rims though. They seem a lot more difficult to mount tires on. Do you have that problem, or are you running them tubeless (something I don't plan to do). The classic box shape is certainly cool looking.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    I have a set built with H Plus Son Archetype polished rims that might be what your looking for. Very easy to mount tires.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rlrj View Post
    I have a set built with H Plus Son Archetype polished rims that might be what your looking for. Very easy to mount tires.
    That's what came to mind for me too. I've never seen one in person but they look highly polished and shiny.

Great rim. I have a bunch of the black ones on various wheel sets.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Thanks. I was hoping to do 24F/28R, but I guess 28/28 would work too. I shy away from tubeless rims though. They seem a lot more difficult to mount tires on. Do you have that problem, or are you running them tubeless (something I don't plan to do). The classic box shape is certainly cool looking.
    I'm running tubes, and yes, they were tough to mount the tires. But I ran Velox rim tape while tubeless tape is recommended because it's thinner and slippery. The tire is nearing the end of it's life and when I swap it out I am going to replace the tape with some Stan's. If this thread is still going I'll post back on any change in tire mounting.
    Too old to ride plastic

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    I'm running tubes, and yes, they were tough to mount the tires. But I ran Velox rim tape while tubeless tape is recommended because it's thinner and slippery. The tire is nearing the end of it's life and when I swap it out I am going to replace the tape with some Stan's. If this thread is still going I'll post back on any change in tire mounting.
    I had the same problem with the wheels on my wife's bike. I do all the tire changing in our relationship. Got her a set of wheels that were unknown to me to be tubeless compatible. Put Velox tape on them like I've done with every rim I've ever owned. The tire was damn near impossible to get on and off. I ended up calling the guy who built them for me and he told me to take off the Velox and put on Stan's. It didn't make the problem completely go away, but it helped. A couple real wide Park tire levers helped too. So definitely do the Stan's.

a real member's member
    i always use the sun m13ii.

i can usually get a pair for under $80, delivered -- a great value.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

changingleaf
    This wheelset with Velocity Quill polished rims and Silver CX-Ray spokes weighed 1624g with 2 layers of tubeless tape on each rim. It's a very solid build with 24/28 White Industries T11 hubs.Looking for a silver/polished rim-img_20180523_153141_319.jpg

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    That's a beautiful set of wheels