RoadBikeReview Member

Low profile disc brake wheelset options?

Think I'm finally going to pick up a new road bike with the Canyon Ultimate Disc at the top of my list. Bike comes with Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon C disc which are on the heavier side at 1770 grams. I'd like to pick up a set of low profile lighter weight climbing wheels....and on a budget.....meaning I don't want to spend $2k for a wheelset. Would prefer carbon rims, but not a total deal breaker.....as I'm using Shimano C24 & C35 wheels right now.

I checked out Boyd wheels and a set there would be pushing $2k....which is the same prices as some Mavic Ksyrium Pro Carbin SL C wheels (1520 grams).

Looks like Light-Bikes can build them with DT240 hubs and C-Xray spokes for ~$1,000. HED Ardennes Plus SL Disc wheels are $1,200 at around 1550 grams.

What are some other good choices available?

changingleaf
    DT 350 hubs on Boyd carbon rims or Nox carbon rims would be in the $1500 range.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    You could also do a set of Boyd Altamont Lite disc wheels with White Industries or Industry Nine hubs, cost yourself very little in terms of weight, cost yourself nothing in terms of overall wheel performance, get better hubs, and save yourself a pile of money.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I checked out your website and yes, the Boyd Altamont or HED Belgium+ Disc, White Industries CLD XD wheelsets look to be an excellent choice. Do you build with only aluminum rims or do you build any carbon rim options?

Quote Originally Posted by November Dave View Post
    You could also do a set of Boyd Altamont Lite disc wheels with White Industries or Industry Nine hubs, cost yourself very little in terms of weight, cost yourself nothing in terms of overall wheel performance, get better hubs, and save yourself a pile of money.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Just alloy. The nominal (if any) weight savings, lack of aerodynamic or stiffness benefits, and increased risk of warranty or other headaches with carbon (even with disc), don't justify the cost premium in our experience. It's likely that we could make more money selling you a set of wheels with carbon rims, but we don't believe they're the better solution.