RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017

Mavic Askium allroad disc?

Hi Guys

I'm interested in a new bike with this OEM wheelset. I cannot find any info even on mavic website. There's an entry level askium disc wheelset pretty heavy (2000 plus g) with 17mm rim. Then Kyrsium elite allraod with 19mm rim decent weight at 1600g that get some good reviews on the net.

Is this an exclusively OEM wheelset. Any idea of weight?

RoadBikeReview Member
    The Aksium is Mavic's entry level series of wheelsets. They are included on many new bikes. You can buy them for around $200-300. They are not a very good wheelset, but one would not disqualify a bike because it comes with these.

The Mavic Ksyriums are lighter than Aksiums with Mavic's similar known problems.

If you are looking for a reliable great bang for the buck wheelset that's around 1600g, the Shimano Ultegra WH-6800 is about half the cost of Ksyriums and way more durable.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    It's a shame that a carbon/ultegra build comes with entry-level wheels. I'm planing to get a second set so I can have 28-30c tires for road and a 36-40c for gravel-mixed surface. But now I'm looking at 2 wheelset!! The ultegra-di2 build at least comes with Ksyriums Allroad... But the price tag is a lot steeper
    Last edited by LewisQC; 06-29-2017 at 10:05 AM.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by LewisQC View Post
    It's a shame that a carbon/ultegra build comes with entry-level wheels. I'm planing to get a second set so I can have 28-30c tires for road and a 36-40c for gravel-mixed surface. But now I'm looking at 2 wheelset!! The ultegra-di2 build at least comes with Ksyriums Allroad... But the price tag is a lot steeper

They shave money for margins somewhere and that is a common gag-skimp on wheels/crankset/brakes.

Lots of wheelsets in the sea. Little reason to be beholden to Mavic.
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Lots of wheelsets in the sea. Little reason to be beholden to Mavic.
    I have my eyes on an almost new Hed Ardennes sl plus wheelset for a while but buying wheels before being 100% sure what bike I will get is not a good idea!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LewisQC View Post
    I have my eyes on an almost new Hed Ardennes sl plus wheelset for a while but buying wheels before being 100% sure what bike I will get is not a good idea!
    HED Ardennes are good wheels, but beware of one thing. If you buy new wheels that are wider than the stock wheels on the bike, the tires will be effectively wider and you favorite tires may not fit. Just saying.

So yes, and yes. HED Ardennes are good wheels, but chose your bike first.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Just for info... I wrote to Devinci cause this wheelset is spec on their Ultegra and 105 carbon Hatchet, one of the bikes on my short list...

DEVINCI - HATCHET CARBON ULTEGRA

Aksium allroad is currently just available on their bikes but will be entry-level of Mavic all road wheelset series. So probably (like regular aksium) around 2000g. Here's the email (in french though!):

Bonjour Louis-Philippe,
    Il s’agit d’un modèle spécifique à nos vélos,
    Mavic n’a pas encore ouvert l’accessibilité de ses roues au grand public,
    Il s’agit du modèle d’entrée de gamme des roues all road chez Mavic.
    Bonne journée !