RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007

mavic carbone sl vs zipp 404

so im in the market for a set of aero clinchers. was thinking of getting a set of zipp 404's but as i start to talk to folks and shops everyone is saying go with the mavic carbone sl. they say the hubs are better and they are bomb proof but they are heavy as well. i ride solo and with a local group twice a week. the group is pretty competitive, we usually climb .5-2 mile climbs.i currently role on a set of mavis es's. please give me your thoughts, im kinda of leaning towards the carbones now.

Online Wheel Builder
    Are you open to other options?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    some what. want to get them local in case i have any issues.

RoadBikeReview Member
    If you have a big budget you might want to go with some Edge rims built on some nice hubs. Zipp makes some good stuff but i don't think you'll get the best performance for the amount of money.
    If you buy a good set of wheels built by somebody who knows what they're doing you won't have any problems. You will have to have them trued from time to time, but any mechanic should be able to true a set of wheels for $10.

Online Wheel Builder
    Any LBS can get an account with Edge. Tell them to call them up and set up an account. It takes 5 minutes. Edge wheels are better than Zipps, Reynolds, Mavics....
    Last edited by Zen Cyclery; 10-25-2009 at 09:55 PM.

Hucken The Fard Up !
    Quote Originally Posted by stickystuff
    so im in the market for a set of aero clinchers. was thinking of getting a set of zipp 404's but as i start to talk to folks and shops everyone is saying go with the mavic carbone sl. they say the hubs are better and they are bomb proof but they are heavy as well. i ride solo and with a local group twice a week. the group is pretty competitive, we usually climb .5-2 mile climbs.i currently role on a set of mavis es's. please give me your thoughts, im kinda of leaning towards the carbones now.
    I do have the Ksyrium ES and also the Cosmic SL.

If you do climb a lot the ES is good enough for that, otherwise if your rides are mostly flat and along the wind currents then the Cosmics are indeed better.

I live on a region where we have a long and narrow lake surrounded by hills.

If you ride along the lake shore ( some 70 km flattish ride around the lake with some short up and downs ) the Cosmics indeed perform much better, because we are having usually headwind on one way and tailwind on the other.

But I only notice the big improvment when I am over 36Kmh, under that speed there is not much difference,

If you want the Cosmics for climbing, they don't help that much (unless you climb over 25kmh+), they are a bit heavier ( yes you feel it when you are going up the hill ) and when you are over the hills and riding on the flattish regions over there, you allways have crosswinds and then the Cosmics are a less good option.

So I don't use my Cosmics for climbing anymore, I put them on the TT bike and they are only used there now and on the flat rides around the lake.

Also if you do group rides and go in front the Cosmics help you, if you are inside the pack or on a streamline the other riders would be helping with the wind much more than the Cosmics.

I've seen a set of Cosmic Carbone Pro Tubulars ( full carbon ) on ebay selling for $900, including Vittoria Corsa CX tubies, and even others sold brand new for ~$1000

Anyhow, try to get a set loaned or rented and give it a try before deciding.
    Last edited by Salsa_Lover; 10-26-2009 at 02:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by zank
    They're just bikes. Ride 'em in the rain, salt, snow and crap to fully appreciate them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Kelly
    The thing about the cold is that you can never tell how cold it is from looking out a kitchen window. You have to dress up, get out training and when you come back, you then know how cold it is.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    I know a lot of people like Mavics, especially the Kysrium, but after the way they have jerked around a buddy of my who had the misfortune of buying the RSys wheels, I would never suggest buying Mavic products to anyone.

That said, if I was willing to spend the $$$ to get a new set of Zipp 404 clinchers, I'd seriously consider alternatives too as I don't think they are really competive with similarly priced carbon clinchers. I have a 2005 set I bought used and really like to ride, but for the $2,200+ you will pay for a new set, there are better choices, Edge and Reynolds being two of them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    Hi, I am also considering a set of Aero Mavic.

I have the Zipp 404 , but i tell you with the Zipp it is hit or miss. I have had only bad luck with them..Being back in the shop 4 times in 6 months.
    For crack rim, times 2 and misaligned spokes...irregular tension on the spoke etc...

they really made me paranoid.why because My Brother in law got the same set around the same time and his rear wheel has cracked and the spokes on the front wheel became loose.??
    may be we are having bad luck. But for the Price I would stay away from the Zipp, they are just too Fragile.
    Believe me We used our wheels in nice smooth surface , etc these problems came after regular use, I mostly believe after sprinting or climbing while standing.
    I may be having bad luck like I said because I know some guys with older model who have put a few thousand miles on theirs!!!
    It is all good while you have the warranty. they will be replaced...and fixed without too much trouble. but what happen after the warranty is over?
    You have a $ 1000 wheel, good for the garbage.

I don't have the Mavic...but I am looking to get a set because I have hear that they can be used for training..etc and they are bomb proof. That is why I buy wheels so i can use them. I am trying to find myself some input on the SLR and their carbon spokes.

I have to say, the Zipp have a wonderful sensation, very smooth hub, lots of stiffness.
    and do make you go faster no doubts there.