RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005

Mavic Classics Pro bearings

The bearings in my rear hub of my Mavic Classics Pro wheelset seems to have worn out. Turning the wheel, you can feel the friction, and it spins only for a short time.

I know they are cartridge bearings, but thats all. Anyone know which replacement bearings I need? and how to replace them?

Can't seem to find much info on the web about these wheeels.

Thanks
    Amit

xxl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    Check for an alphanumeric code on the side of the cartridge, on the seals, reading something like "SKF 6002" or such. This'll indicate the replacement bearing, and most cartridge bearings are easily purchased (try bocabearing.com, for one).

Installation, though, isn't quite so simple. (Even my old Sutherland's manual doesn't offer much help on the topic.) Some cartridge bearings were press-fitted into the hub shell rather loosely, and practically fall out with little encouragement. Others were pressed much tighter, and/or glued in to boot; for these you'd need a bearing-pulling tool of some sort. I've had mixed results with these. Then, once you pop the old bearings out, so the theory goes, you just pop the new ones in their place, and reassemble. The trouble is that the new bearings don't want to fit into their new home any more than the old ones wanted to leave. Plus, with the cartridge bearing, getting the bearing seated in the hub shell is critical, and there's nothing as frustrating as having to remove the recalcitrant bearing again and again because the damned thing just won't sit right.

My advice is if you're mechanically inclined, you could give it a go, or just find a shop where the repair guys are a little older. This was a popular enough hub that, unless you live in the sticks, some shop around you will have had experience with, and be able to help.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for the info!

I thought it would be something along those lines. Even though I like to do everything at home, I'll prolly leave this one to the lbs. Well, thats if its hard to get out. I'll have to open it up and take a look first.